Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Any ideas to FIX the X-men books and their over reliance on Mutant Hatred?

I just read most of the Xmen Red books out there, and I love Jean being back, But the book is harping on something that is REALLY driving me up a wall.

I think one of the reasons I loved the Outback so much was the lack of fighting because of being mutants. Yes, they had Genosha, but it wasn't all about stopping Mutant murdering things until they went back to Mastermold.

Over the years I've seen less and less reason for the world to Fear and Hate Mutants overall.

You've got LITERAL Gods throwing down on Earth, yet Mutants are the problem?

Companies, Covert groups, and random Animals and Insects biting people and giving them superpowers. Yet Mutants are the Problem?

Radiation NOT killing people and giving them powers, yet Mutants are the problem?

Alien races invading DAILY, yet Mutants are the problem?

Cosmic entities that EAT whole damn planets, yet Mutants?

Sentient viruses, and reality-altering storms and friggin Gauntlets with Gems in them, Yet Mutants are the biggest threat?

I had a lot more fun back when the X-men went through their Galactic Phases, their Adventuring days, etc.

In a world of Super Soldiers like Cap, Androids like Vision and Jocasta, People in power armor like Riri, how the hell do we keep justifying hatred of mutants? Is it sheer human stupidity?

I know that If I were writing the X-books I'd try to move away from that. It's SOOOO dated.

BANNED

Those people know the heroes will save them, but nothing will ever stop mutants from replacing humans

But I agree that X-men need some breaks to have non mutant hatred related adventures

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I don't think that needs to be fixed. the hate for mutants is a metaphor for real life problems, things that still exist like racism, sexism or xenophobia. that's the real problem, the greatest enemy, not some overpowered alien, god, etc. it feels real.
    dealing with discrimination and feeling different is one of the reasons the X-books are so special (for me anyway).

The mutant allegory needs updating and to represent the marginalized minority experience better. Things should have improved for Mutants the same way they have for minorities in the western world, there should be mutant culture, it's own slang, food, music etc. Actually develop a race of people to be more than Sentinel bait. With things improved it makes any tragedies stand out more and really reflect the wake up call that things still have a long way to go. Instead we have mutants perpetually facing extermination which gets boring fast and can be hard to relate to as people don't worry about giant robots.
    The reference in X-Men Red would have went over better if the X-Men felt like a minority group in present day America. Instead they are too exaggerated in their plight that it becomes increasingly difficult to relate with.

Don't get me wrong I understand they are superheroes that need to deal with super things, but not everything has to be some grand scale threat to an entire race of people. It can be as small as a mutant child be wrongfully murdered by a police officer. But that is unfortunately the norm in the comics with things like sentinels running around, so it loses any impact it could have of they had eased up on the extermination thing and were allowed to have things improve for them like minorities in real life. Often times it's too depressing and repetitive reading about the X-world where there is no hope of any improvements and an apocalyptic future is always on the doorstep.

It would have been interesting if Marvel made the president of the USA a mutant when Obama was in office and all the things that could have gone with that. But with the way the Mutant plight has stagnated that would make no sense in ever happening.
    Last edited by Crimz; 05-16-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Those people know the heroes will save them, but nothing will ever stop mutants from replacing humans

But I agree that X-men need some breaks to have non mutant hatred related adventures
    Someone should remind the haters that humans, like every other life form on Earth, evolved via mutations. One might even say that life began with mutant molecules.

One generation of humans has been replacing the previous one at least as long as Homo Sapiens has existed. And people are angry because their kids or grandkids can do things they can't?!

I'd like to see more ordinary humans standing up for mutants' rights, and fewer mutants proclaiming themselves Homo Superior. Mutations can cause disabilities, not just powers. As for the so-called X-Gene, how do the folks in the MU know that the human ability to stand upright or use language didn't come from the X-Gene?
    Last edited by Anodyne; 05-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

There were a lot of things wrong with the early 2000s, but stuff like Mutantown was gold. There's too much over the top 'kill all mutants', some more street level stories of less overt and casual racism mixed in with some heroics would be good.

Also on the opposite side of things Maverl could really use some normal run of the mill good guy human characters. There used to be a few now there seems to be none. Really the best way to present advancement for the X-men would be more humans wishing to help, engage, work for them. They don't even need to be on the team, help, support staff, people in the press anybody.

From the X-men side of things, maybe a book strictly on super heroics. This has been kicked about a few times, but a book solely dedicated on making a world that 'fears and hates you' fear and hate you less, by kicking the shit out of criminals, aliens and monsters. I would have politics absolutely at the front of this book while mixing is with high super heroic action.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Actually, in our world, you have people of all colors, class, genders, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, origins, races and nationalities, but only the non-white, non-heterosexual, non-Western, miserable and non-Christian people are the problem?
    Well, the X-Men represent these people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I don't think that needs to be fixed. the hate for mutants is a metaphor for real life problems, things that still exist like racism, sexism or xenophobia. that's the real problem, the greatest enemy, not some overpowered alien, god, etc. it feels real.
    dealing with discrimination and feeling different is one of the reasons the X-books are so special (for me anyway).
    Yes, given that the prejudice and hatred that the X-Men deal with is still very much a part of our real world and, sadly, seems to have a new resurgence lately, the need for the X-books to deal with that topic is as vital as ever.

personally, I do not see them as overreliant on anti-mutant sentiment. it exists as a looming background threat. but it doesn't prevent them from facing other threats ex. the Hellfire Club.

Well still today there are people who blame immigrants for all the problems or think that all Muslims should be eliminated then the hatred of humans for mutants in the marvel universe is not something totally absurd.

The point is that people will always fear what they do not know and it is much easier to blame someone for their problems than admit their mistakes, and it is much easier to blame some group for not getting a job than blaming the economy.

See for example Israel and Palestine both sides have been attacked and blamed the other side for years resulting in several deaths, economic problems and a cycle of hatred that seems like it will never come to an end.

From my point of view it is perfectly normal for humans to fear mutants more than meta humans . I just think exaggerated that mutants run the risk of being extinct every 6 months is time to leave this plot and focus on other issues involving minorities and prejudice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The mutant allegory needs updating and to represent the marginalized minority experience better. Things should have improved for Mutants the same way they have for minorities in the western world, there should be mutant culture, it's own slang, food, music etc. Actually develop a race of people to be more than Sentinel bait. With things improved it makes any tragedies stand out more and really reflect the wake up call that things still have a long way to go. Instead we have mutants perpetually facing extermination which gets boring fast and can be hard to relate to as people don't worry about giant robots.
    The reference in X-Men Red would have went over better if the X-Men felt like a minority group in present day America. Instead they are too exaggerated in their plight that it becomes increasingly difficult to relate with.

Don't get me wrong I understand they are superheroes that need to deal with super things, but not everything has to be some grand scale threat to an entire race of people. It can be as small as a mutant child be wrongfully murdered by a police officer. But that is unfortunately the norm in the comics with things like sentinels running around, so it loses any impact it could have of they had eased up on the extermination thing and were allowed to have things improve for them like minorities in real life. Often times it's too depressing and repetitive reading about the X-world where there is no hope of any improvements and an apocalyptic future is always on the doorstep.

It would have been interesting if Marvel made the president of the USA a mutant when Obama was in office and all the things that could have gone with that. But with the way the Mutant plight has stagnated that would make no sense in ever happening.
    There was. But Quesada didn't like it (OMD and Decimation. Does Quesada truly have nothing but contempt for all that's good in the world?).

BANNED

There are Avengers books pretty much right next to the X-Men books, available in the same Comixology app. All gods and spider-folks you could possibly want.

Edit: This also why I don't want the X-Men in the MCU casual-fan memedom. Not to mention that not every X-book is about the main X-Men theme.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 05-16-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Most emphasis on their personal lives and build conflict from there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

I agree with a lot of this.
    The staleness of the threat is there. They have a book coming out this very year called EXTINCTION, seriously? AGAIN. The impact is gone, faceless Mutants being murdered AGAIN. Come on, the status quo is what kills so many books.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I dont think it should necessarily be fixed but in lieu of constantly relying on this they could address other forms of hatred and discrimination that exist in the real world. l loved that bp&c addressed the topic of gentrification.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!