Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I don’t care that she’s female but Batwoman is one of the most boring characters at DC. It seems like the only reason anyone cares about her is because she’s a gay memeber of the bat family.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I don’t care that she’s female but Batwoman is one of the most boring characters at DC. It seems like the only reason anyone cares about her is because she’s a gay memeber of the bat family.
    Why do you think that? Either of them?

At least for me, her being gay is not the main reason I like her.

I'm more interested in stuff like her singleminded devotion to joining the Army, to serve her country and prevent the type of tragedy she suffered from happening to anyone else. How, when faced with the choice of keeping that dream, the only plan she had for her life, or denying who she was, she gave it up without hesitstion, while also protecting any of her fellow closeted cadets. That's an awesome moment of heroic self-sacrifice.

Or how she fell into alcoholism and found a way out of it through Batman's example; how she realized she could still do good in her life. How she can be fairly easily manipulated by appealing to that sense of duty. How she's loyal to her family, which also provides a vector of manipulation.

Or her willingness to use lethal force if needed. Or her protectiveness of children, to the point she won't harm them even if they attack her. Or her dry sense of humor. Her anger issues.

"Boring character," you say. Feh.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Depending on how well this is executed, this may be the first time I watch the CW shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    In your opinion.

My opinion, I want a good, strong male character, like Nightwing since they won’t let us have Batman, which is a shame.
    Too many female characters, we need more than Ollie and Diggle.
    You can never have too many female characters.

Amazing Member

Did someone in this thread really post that there needs to be another male hero rather than a female? lol.

Batwoman is a great character. I'm glad another gay character is being introduced too! It might be on the CW, but all the big CW crossover episodes have been epic and I don't think the CW has really miscast any of the heroes, so I am looking forward to this so much.

What I am not looking forward to is Gotham City since it's probably going to look the same as Star City lmao.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/17/cw-super...over-batwoman/

I have more than a few reservations about her being on the CW, but still, for now: WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    I thought you would be really psyched about this news Caivu
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

I hate the whole “she’s a soldier” aspect. She’s not. She went to West Point, I think, but never graduated and became an actual soldier. So calling her one is stupid in my opinion. I get that she was drummed out for being gay but the fact is, she was never a soldier. She didn’t actually serve. All of that other stuff is overshadowed because the simple truth is that her defining characteristic is that she’s gay. That’s the only thing that most people know about her.

I'm more interested in stuff like her singleminded devotion to joining the Army, to serve her country and prevent the type of tragedy she suffered from happening to anyone else. How, when faced with the choice of keeping that dream, the only plan she had for her life, or denying who she was, she gave it up without hesitstion, while also protecting any of her fellow closeted cadets. That's an awesome moment of heroic self-sacrifice.

Or how she fell into alcoholism and found a way out of it through Batman's example; how she realized she could still do good in her life. How she can be fairly easily manipulated by appealing to that sense of duty. How she's loyal to her family, which also provides a vector of manipulation.

Or her willingness to use lethal force if needed. Or her protectiveness of children, to the point she won't harm them even if they attack her. Or her dry sense of humor. Her anger issues.

As far as I'm concerned, you know your character is popular when people complain about them being "boring" .

I hate the whole “she’s a soldier” aspect. She’s not. She went to West Point, I think, but never graduated and became an actual soldier. So calling her one is stupid in my opinion. I get that she was drummed out for being gay but the fact is, she was never a soldier. She didn’t actually serve.
    It's not stupid. She's a soldier, just unofficially; her military training, both from West Point and from the special forces stuff she was taught, inform how she thinks and acts.

To put it another way, a retired soldier (or cop, or firefighter, or whatever) doesn't just magically forget what they're taught even though they're technically not still innthe service (or on the force, ir whatever).

All of that other stuff is overshadowed because the simple truth is that her defining characteristic is that she’s gay. That’s the only thing that most people know about her.
    It doesn't matter what most people know of her. That doesn't somehow erase her other qualities, that's just people doing a surface reading.
    It's like how lots of people erronously think Superman is a Boy Scout and "too powerful", or that Batman only scowls and doesn't kill.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Mighty Member

I hate the whole “she’s a soldier” aspect. She’s not. She went to West Point, I think, but never graduated and became an actual soldier. So calling her one is stupid in my opinion. I get that she was drummed out for being gay but the fact is, she was never a soldier. She didn’t actually serve. All of that other stuff is overshadowed because the simple truth is that her defining characteristic is that she’s gay. That’s the only thing that most people know about her.
    Agreed! She never graduated or was commissioned in the military so no she is not a soldier, just like if someone dropped out of the police academy they are not a police officer. And yes being gay is Batwoman's most defining trait, when she was first introduced she was labeled a "lipstick lesbian" by DC as a marketing ploy to generate interest in the character. I would not dislike Batwoman as much as I do if not for the fact that they try to push her so hard and take shots at Batman while doing it. All the "she's better than Batman" or "Batwoman can do what Batman can't", which is what exactly? What can she do that he cannot? Also the fact that some seem to think that Kate can take the Bat symbol for herself and Batman has no say in the matter, even though the symbol is his. Her first series failed when they were all about not connecting her to Batman in any way. So what do they do for her second series, tie her to Batman by making her his cousin and have her join the family and make her co-lead in Tec. As it is, it seems like her second series will not be around to much longer. But I digress, let the Batwoman fans be happy that their fave is coming to the CW. Look forward to the digs they take at Batman, because it seems that in order to elevate Kate they have to take Bruce down a few pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Agreed! She never graduated or was commissioned in the military so no she is not a soldier, just like if someone dropped out of the police academy they are not a police officer.
    See what I wrote above.

And yes being gay is Batwoman's most defining trait, when she was first introduced she was labeled a "lipstick lesbian" by DC as a marketing ploy to generate interest in the character.
    Again, see above. "Most well-known" does not equal "defining".

I would not dislike Batwoman as much as I do if not for the fact that they try to push her so hard and take shots at Batman while doing it. All the "she's better than Batman" or "Batwoman can do what Batman can't", which is what exactly? What can she do that he cannot?
    The answer is: "what's necessary."

Also the fact that some seem to think that Kate can take the Bat symbol for herself and Batman has no say in the matter, even though the symbol is his.
    Given that that's what happened, uh... yeah.

Her first series failed when they were all about not connecting her to Batman in any way. So what do they do for her second series, tie her to Batman by making her his cousin and have her join the family and make her co-lead in Tec.
    Huh? Her first series"failed" because Andreyko's run was a bunch of crap. And he's who established the cousin relationship; that's not a Rebirth thing.

But I digress, let the Batwoman fans be happy that their fave is coming to the CW. Look forward to the digs they take at Batman, because it seems that in order to elevate Kate they have to take Bruce down a few pegs.
    Not at all true.

All-New Member

having Batwoman in the crossover seems like the CW showrunners taking advantage of the fact that Gotham is ending

Extraordinary Member

no its spot on
    and fans of the CW love lesbians, you should see the hate they thro when a female they like is not gay
    so Kate will be welcomed here and the arrow rating will pick up

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    no its spot on
    and fans of the CW love lesbians, you should see the hate they thro when a female they like is not gay
    so Kate will be welcomed here and the arrow rating will pick up
    "Liking lesbian characters" =/= "liking characters only because they're lesbian"

I do hope, though, that Kate is done justice and becomes popular. That would be wild. And if that translates to a spinoff, I'll be over the moon even if it's only decent.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-17-2018 at 09:24 PM.

In your opinion.

My opinion, I want a good, strong male character, like Nightwing since they won’t let us have Batman, which is a shame.
    You mean like Curtis, Rene, Ragman, Roy and the dozens of male characters that have appeared on this show?

In your opinion.

Nightwing won't appear in any cw show because the pre production of his solo movie is already in the work
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-18-2018 at 08:37 PM.