View Poll Results: Which Imprint Will Be More Successful?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sandman

1 3.45%
  • Black Label

11 37.93%
  • Vertigo

2 6.90%
  • Bendis

3 10.34%
  • DC Ink/Zoom

11 37.93%
  • Milestone

0 0%
  • Others

1 3.45%
  • None

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Imprint Will Be the Most Successful for DC?

Since my previous post was to said to be based off an April Fool's prank that was posted in March, I decided to make another thread around the same subject like the sleep deprived person I am right now.

So which Imprint is gonna rake in the most dough for DC?

Edited: Added a poll.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 05-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.

BANNED

Black Label if we're following traditional metrics. Miller, Snyder, Azz, Rucka possibly Morrison. It will definitely be more successful than Wildstorm, New Age of Heroes, Young Animal and Vertigo.

Zoom and Ink if they're successfully marketed could be even bigger, its a whole new market.

I think all of them have a lot of potential but I think Zoom/Ink will be able to tap into a pretty diverse and large market, so I'm expecting that to be quite successful .

I was shocked when I saw how big the sales for kids are compared to the traditional trade market. Ink and Zoom could be a gold mine for DC if they play their cards right. It will be interesting to see how Black Label plays out, they tried this before with All-Star and it didn't work, partly due to Frank. Now they're starting a new imprint with Miller again, I hope he fares better this time.

I think it'll be Zoom with Milestone coming in last, as I don't even think it's coming out anymore.

I wish it would be Milestone, but history tells me it will be Bendis. His books just sell like flapjacks
    The J-man

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    I was shocked when I saw how big the sales for kids are compared to the traditional trade market. Ink and Zoom could be a gold mine for DC if they play their cards right. It will be interesting to see how Black Label plays out, they tried this before with All-Star and it didn't work, partly due to Frank. Now they're starting a new imprint with Miller again, I hope he fares better this time.
    I wonder whether that's why they delayed Zoom and Ink to promote them better and rake in the dough?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I wonder whether that's why they delayed Zoom and Ink to promote them better and rake in the dough?
    They delayed ink/zoom? For some reason I thought it launched already.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Ink/Zoom

1) most of the authors have large built in audiences, larger than the built in audience of the direct market so will generate interest and sales right out of the gate that will be larger than the direct market will generate.

2) they will be for sale in places like Target, Walmart, Meijer's and other places where kids books sell in large numbers (and are already selling boatloads of comics like Dogboy, the Raina Telgemier books, etc. and a ton of young reader books featuring DC characters that aren't comics and the Super-Hero High stuff is already there).

3) It was announced at the ALA, meaning young adult librarians will be buying these and bringing them in for kids to read even if they work in libraries that don't normally carry comics/trades/graphic novels since the ALA is throwing their weight behind the books.

They may not sell much in the direct market, they will outperform all the other lines in the book trade and by doing so be the biggest revenue maker for the bunch for DC. Most of the others are niche products geared towards the niche direct market audience. These are mass market products and will reach a much larger potential audience than any of the other books.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    They delayed ink/zoom? For some reason I thought it launched already.
    They initially mentioned an autumn 2018 launch for the first books at the ALA announcement, but it was quickly changed to early 2019. I think they initially wanted the first books on the market in time for holiday shopping but quickly realized it was going to take some of the artists longer to produce pages at a certain level of quality and for distribution deals to be put into place outside the direct market so took the more cautious approach to make sure the launch wasn't a misfire and rescheduled for a 2019 release for the first books. Many of the authors who talked at the ALA announcement were talking like they were just starting to see pages from the artists rahte rthna having all the art in the can, and since these aren't serialized all 100+ pages have to be done, inked, colored, edited, corrected etc. before they go to press, which can take a while. A major change on an early page can have snowball effects on corrections for the rest fo the book for example (a change in design, appearance of a character, etc. etc.) so having a finished product in the can before setting a firm release date is a good idea. It's how book publishing works rather than comics publishing, you don't schedule/announce a release of a product until you have a finished manuscript and all related art in house to avoid having to change release dates, and distributors won't contract for an item until they know it's done and can preview it, so it's a different approach than comic publishers used to distributing through Diamond so it's not surprising there were some hiccups in scheduling initially.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I wish it would be Milestone, but history tells me it will be Bendis. His books just sell like flapjacks
    Not so much these days from what I hear. He's not the sales powerhouse he used to be.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Ink/Zoom

1) most of the authors have large built in audiences, larger than the built in audience of the direct market so will generate interest and sales right out of the gate that will be larger than the direct market will generate.

2) they will be for sale in places like Target, Walmart, Meijer's and other places where kids books sell in large numbers (and are already selling boatloads of comics like Dogboy, the Raina Telgemier books, etc. and a ton of young reader books featuring DC characters that aren't comics and the Super-Hero High stuff is already there).

3) It was announced at the ALA, meaning young adult librarians will be buying these and bringing them in for kids to read even if they work in libraries that don't normally carry comics/trades/graphic novels since the ALA is throwing their weight behind the books.

They may not sell much in the direct market, they will outperform all the other lines in the book trade and by doing so be the biggest revenue maker for the bunch for DC. Most of the others are niche products geared towards the niche direct market audience. These are mass market products and will reach a much larger potential audience than any of the other books.

-M
    One thing if all you are doing is shoving Batman and his crew in kids faces-they will tune out those books. Same with Number 3-I can buy those books all I like for school but if you are shoving the socalled "top" sellers-a lot of kids will NOT be interested. Especially kids of color.

There is a reason Ms Marvel & Moon Girl are killing it in sales.

I think Black Label has potential but at the same time its a rather unknown commodity at this point. There's so many directions it could go that with absolutely no examples to speak of to consume right now, its impossible to say. Safest bet right now would seem to be Zoom/Ink.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    One thing if all you are doing is shoving Batman and his crew in kids faces-they will tune out those books. Same with Number 3-I can buy those books all I like for school but if you are shoving the socalled "top" sellers-a lot of kids will NOT be interested. Especially kids of color.

There is a reason Ms Marvel & Moon Girl are killing it in sales.
    And there is a reason why there are whole line sof young reader DC Super-Hero books featuring Batman, Superman and the Justice League that are selling like gangbusters, and whole toy lines devoted to those characters in Imaginext in the kids toy aisles, because kids like them and parents buy them. I am all for more diversity int he characters represented, but the sales success of books like these already...

and the amount of circulation they get in American library systems is what paved the way for the Dc Super-Hero High Books and the choices made for which characters to lead with in the Ink/Zoom lines. People will get the books their buying habits deserve. These types of books are selling in the book market, so those are the types of books DC will produce. That won;t change until people's buying habits change. Dollars spent by customer sis the loudest speech heard by businesses, and it speaks a lot louder than internet message board of social media post. If the dollars are going to certain types of books, that's what will get made, no matter what people may say they want, the prove what they want by what the buy. And Batman and his ilk sell very well in the book market.

-M

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I voted Black Label simply because of the names attached.
    I really hope Vertigo makes a comeback. DC should NEVER have gutted it the way they did.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.