Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    How many issues until we get the first "Clint is a loser while Kate is perfect and amazing" scene?

I say issue 2.
    Clint's introductory scene in the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So... no texas twister? No firebird? No phantom rider?
    Firebird sure, Texas Twister and Phantom Rider should be old west characters so maybe if they do a time travel arc they could team up.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Hmmmm..... not the WCA I wanted.

I don't think that there are many fans of all 5 characters (other than Thompson I assume). IMO I think the key to the success of the book is that all characters are treated fairly and respectfully. More critical than most books.

Personally I'll be waiting for reviews and views to see Clint's role before deciding on whether to invest in a trade. A few old WCA cameos wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    QUEEN OF SCRIPTS, LEFT TOM BREVOORT SHOOK: https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/s...65962176073728

Looks like some of the old WCA members might play a role in the book, after all: https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/s...86383923400704
    It would be nice to see the classic WCA members pop up in this, but the "reality show" element kind of dissuades me from wanting to see them in it, save Simon.
    Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    As a huge fan of the original WCA, I hate the fact that the anti-SJW, anti-diversity crowd is lauding the old series as it whines about this one. I don't want to be associated with that crowd! And it's not like this new team is less white and male than the old one, anyway.
    Honestly, I don't really have a problem with the characters involved or pairing them together like this.

My issue is more that having the book labeled "West Coast Avengers" implies to me something more like USAvengers or Uncanny, another Avengers book that can go toe-to-toe with the main book, instead of something reminiscent of that one volume of New Warriors where it became a reality show.
    Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Perhaps Marvel Comics answer to DCTVs Legends?
    I thought that was Exiles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    I'll give it a shot and hopefully won't be disappointed but I'm divided on Miss America and Quentin Quire. I don't start fuming at the mouth whenever I read these names as some people seem to but the way they've been handled before have me worried. I loved MAC in Young Avengers and Ultimates but her solo was not for me, so I'm worried which version of the character I'll be reading here, if it's more in line with Ultimates and YA then I'll love it. Quentin Quire has an awful personality and I hated that he was in Generation X at first but I liked how his storyline ended there, with him compromising and promising to grow the fuck up. So I wouldn't mind seeing him again if his growth was acknowledged and his shitty personality changed but the problem is another writer could very easily just regress him to being the resident jerk on the team. If Thompson follows his portrayal at the end of Generation X and builds from there I could actually start to enjoy him as a character but if he goes back to his old ways that might make the book insufferable for me.
    That's Quire's biggest problem, aside from being unlikable, getting his character development regressed and having to go through the same song-and-dance everytime he's a lead in a book.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    To be fair-it's more about the delays of the book with Young Animal and artist not being able to do full runs on New Age of DC Hero books.

And a commentary on all that "A-B list talent" on those books for folks no one asked for and more popular guys sitting on the bench or stuck with bad talent or crappy stories like Cyborg & Titians.

It's not so much on the rosters themselves but a frustration in general.

And I say that as a reader of Young Animal.
    That's interesting because I've really loved Young Animal and DC returning to having a more adult line with these titles and then Vertigo coming back.

The only complaint was the delays, which after awhile I just stopped picking up single issues and instead waited for tradebacks on the books because it was easier.

I just want to say I am excited for this. I like all the characters and I also like Kelly Thompson. So yeah, I am down for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh, they're already up in arms..."SJW Marvel is putting out a SJW Avengers book with SJW heroes! A woman is writing it so you know it's SJW! Donate to my Patreon so that you can hear me say SJW!!"
    Seeing as I recall some Comicsgaters rejoicing when some of the minority-centric series they hated, like America, were canceled, I wouldn't be surprised if they complain over them staying around in a new series. Anything that can be twisted to "prove" SJW deep state conspiracy theory Kool-Aid they're guzzling.

Personally, since I loved Thompson's Kate Bishop series, I'm going to be trying this because of it being something of a continuation. I'm not sure if the team idea appeals to me that much and I have zero attachment to the "West Coast Avengers" idea, but it could work out.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Try stating that you enjoyed Star Wars Episode 8.

But yeah I get that. "Fans" can ruin a lot of things really quickly, especially as soon as the word SJW gets thrown around.
    Generally as soon as I read someone using that word I tend to not read any further.

This is why I don't really use twitter. That and the rabidly anti-Semitic flat earthers.
    So anyway WCA was one of my first comics I collected as a kid. Of course that's because it had Iron Man but I love Gwenpool and I want to see what she is like in a team setting. I don't get why Kid Omega is getting all the hate. My first introduction to him was in Generation X so that's all the familiarity I have with him. It will be interesting to see if he's humbled now that his powers are messed up. I will definitely check this out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    Kate and MAC are Avengers, have been for years and don't need a chaperone. Gwenpool is no stranger to being a hero and Quentin Quire actually has powers that would be really useful against a serious villain and as long as he fixes his attitude/personality he would be a great addition to any team.

Time is not allowed to pass in comics so suggesting partnering the old/classic characters with the young/new characters is just subjecting them to always be patronized and treated as students/children. Because if the old generation will never grow old, retire or die permanently then what are they training for? How long will they have to be sidekicks? These characters will never get a place in the big leagues (Main Avengers/X-Men team) because they're filled with old/classic charaters and will always be because nostalgia sells. So why can't they at least exist separately in their own team and be Avengers in their own right?
    When I say avengers, I rather think of a book called avengers, not any satellite books, franchise not withstanding, but fair enough. If you was to say are they avengers, I'd look to people who have been on the main team, under an avengers charter. I think marvel has devalued the brand by adding so many tenuous titles and characters into the brand. One of the reasons I was pleased when they said they were doing only one avengers book.

I liked A Force and young avengers, but they didn't come across as avengers books, rather books added to that franchise, I'd say diffrent of the unity squad book, it never came across as an Avengers book in feel , more a super team 2 in 1 style book, but it had founders on it

I know people will have different definitions, that's fine. For me it's an avengers team if some of the founders (cap included since he has that status awarded to him) were on it or helped put it together or if the current chair person sanctioned it

Mentoring does not have to be patronising - if it is that's just a limit implemented by the writer

none of them on that roster have the experience of Barton, chavez is close but not quite, that's not a bad thing either.

Time not passing is again only limited by the skill of the writer, it would not be an issue for them to show development from being mentored by a classic avengers leader, and for him to be changed by that experience too

The old does not need to die off or retire for the new ones to be relevant, if anything if the new can't be relevant in the same mythos with classic characters then they need work, all characters were new at some point, the originals might still be around but there's 40 plus years of new characters backing them up

I've never really understood the idea that you need to get rid of the old to have the new, you don't flatten the pyramids to make way for a new skyscraper, you make the skyscraper different enough that it's interesting in and of itself

But then you don't just copy the pyramid, or you end up a cheap knock off

if the writers want new characters to hold, they need to be more creative and not rely on links to older franchises to build interest

Coz that's what this title is doing

plain to see

Legendary characters arnt still around because new ones can't replace them, there still around because they are good characters

people want new characters to do well, buy the books, chavez solo got dropped coz it didn't sell enough in the end, in my opinion coz the writer just wasn't up to it, she's been great in her other appearances i feel, fantastic leading the ultimates, I like kate a lot, Quire I have limited knowledge of, Gwen almost none, I have no idea who the other character is

Marvel's had some good new characters in the last few years, but building a regular sales from them isn't going to happen easily, how many characters that Marvel have made from the 70s on actually hold their own title regularly, their practice of frequent relaunches don't help either, but that's not a weakness in the characters, more the publishers business model

kamala is a recent standout excellent exception to this

prior to the more recent ones, you know who it was, Deadpool, before that, Punisher and Carol danvers, she hulk sporadically, plenty of fans have got behind new characters recently, for marvel they are actually doing unusually well

the team itself doesn't bother me, it's labelling does, champions LA or champions West coast would, imo have branded this a lot better and expanded a great idea and also kept marvels statement about one avengers book being true, it is that lie which irritates me more than anything
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Firebird sure, Texas Twister and Phantom Rider should be old west characters so maybe if they do a time travel arc they could team up.
    Don’t agree with you about texas twister; he and firebird are my favorites.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Made the egregious error of expressing my enthusiasm for this title on twitter last night.
    Shared a few article links. Dropped a few joyous comments.

Man oh MAN! I totally get it now.
    I totally understand why folks like Mockingbird's Chelsea Cain get driven off of social media, and find themselves abandoning their pursuits in the Marvel arena.

The "fans" are AWFUL.
    NOT all, of course. No, no, no, no. But the STAGGERING amount of hateful messages and jabs I'd received simply for expressing my excitement for this book is INSANE.
    Straight up vicious.
    All it took was ONE EVENING of this garbage and I'm done.

Don't like the book? DON'T READ IT. What is wrong with people?
    Don't relentlessly badger people who want to read it. What does that gain? How does that improve your life?
    Who in their right mind (I suppose that's the real clincher there) finds such pleasure in being mean to strangers? And because of something they WILL NOT read.

I cannot fathom the level of trash these professionals have to circumvent and navigate on a regular basis.
    I have an entirely new level of respect and admiration for Kelly Thompson and anyone else in the industry who has endured this long.

All that being said, Kelly's Hawkeye ran a STELLAR 3 volumes on the appeal of Kate Bishop alone, so the inclusion of Clint, America, Quire, Gwenpool and their collective fandoms following each of them ought to ensure at least that many arcs for those of us eagerly awaiting this book to enjoy. Really looking forward to Casseli's work on this. He's an incredible talent with clean but expressive lines and a real flare for classic superheroics. Cannot wait. Yay WCA!
    Kelly is probably used to all the hate. I see her getting a lot of it on her Tumblr, and that's just the stuff she bothers to answer. It's unfortunate, but it's the way things are. I admire her for dealing with it in such grace and always rising above, though.

And YES, I completely forgot to celebrate the fact that we have Stefano Caselli on this book! LOVE his work and the team really scored one by putting him on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think it's about wanting him to "catch on," per se. All the qualities that make QQ an irritant are exactly what makes him a perfect cast member for this book's reality show premise. It'd be crazy not to include him.
    Pretty much this. Q³ is the perfect conduit for drama and conflict, which I bet is the reason why he keeps being used. The reasons why people hate him so much are probably the same reasons why writers think he'll be interesting in their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Doesn't anyone else get the, 'okay these guys have failed let's dump them in one book together with the only character with any substantial credibility' vibe from this book?
    It's cute that you think recent books focused on Clint Barton haven't failed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The more I look at that Fresh Prince of Bel Air logo, the more my eyes hurt...
    Yeah, I have to agree the font choice for this is... unfortunate. I think that it works for an individual piece, but seeing it on every cover of every issue is gonna get old real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    They cancelled U.S.Avengers and the Unity team FOR THAT ?
    No, they cancelled it for Aaron's ''Same-Old, Not-Different Avengers''. A ''mock'' team of Avengers has no power to cancel 3 different titles.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-18-2018 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Don’t agree with you about texas twister; he and firebird are my favorites.
    That's not at all what he said, I think.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    How many issues until we get the first "Clint is a loser while Kate is perfect and amazing" scene?

I say issue 2.
    I wouldn't say Thompson's Hawkeye run ever portrayed Kate as perfect. Amazing, sure, but she also screwed up plenty. She got in over her head, she got her ass handed to her, she'd make mistakes out of anger, she'd make mistakes out of grief. And when Clint came in for the final arc, he wasn't really depicted as a loser. Kind of a goofball, but no more of one than Kate, and he got to be plenty competent, and a good guy.

On another note, I'm betting all the people bitching about Gwenpool haven't read her comic. Because her comic was brilliant, and she had some fantastic character growth over its run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I wouldn't say Thompson's Hawkeye run ever portrayed Kate as perfect. Amazing, sure, but she also screwed up plenty. She got in over her head, she got her ass handed to her, she'd make mistakes out of anger, she'd make mistakes out of grief. And when Clint came in for the final arc, he wasn't really depicted as a loser. Kind of a goofball, but no more of one than Kate, and he got to be plenty competent, and a good guy.

On another note, I'm betting all the people bitching about Gwenpool haven't read her comic. Because her comic was brilliant, and she had some fantastic character growth over its run.
    Correct. He was still very much "Hawkguy" which I am kinda tired of by now but as far as their relationship goes there was no one who did it better than Kelly except for "maybe" Fraction.

I get the fear of Clint getting downplayed to hype Kate. It happened. All new Hawkeye by Lemire was a horrible book in that regard and made both Hawkeyes look very,very bad.

But that was a while ago and Lemire isn't the author of that book so the least us Clint's fans can do is giving the book a chance.

I like to believe that Kate will be the Leader of this Team, HER Team while Clint will be there for advise.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    No, they cancelled it for Aaron's ''Same-Old, Not-Different Avengers''. A ''mock'' team of Avengers has no power to cancel 3 different titles.
    And being a "mock" team is probably why they even get to use the Avengers name.

Which is part of my issue with it. I expect something more like the ANAD Avengers books when I think of the WCA and this probably isn't going to be anything like that, no matter the quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I have nothing against the character personally, and I've enjoyed what I've read of her book, but I still think the idea of making a whole character out of a Gwen Stacy variant cover is a little silly.

(And of course nothing came out of that time they did a Mary Jane variant month, because Marvel loves to play favorites. Not that I'm bitter ).