Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I suspect the people who complain the most about Gwenpool haven't actually read her book, which was quite fun and clever.

I rolled my eyes when I heard about Gwenpool but the book itself showed me the potential of the character.
    I'll never even pirate a book with Gwenpool on it, just keeping that garbage in print while characters like Songbird, Tigra, Elsa Bloodstone and the Avengers Academy kids aren't is an insult for me as a Marvel fan.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Mighty Member

Ah yes, because Marvel printing a book for an audience that isn't for you and 2 of the characters you mentioned had books within the last 2 years is an insult to you. Yes, that makes total sense.

So will this series end with the heroes accidentally causing an explosion killing a nearby school and restarting the Superhuman Registration Act?

Because that's how the LAST offbeat team-turned-reality-tv worked out.

Yes, it is an insult since they are willing to pander to a fanbase that do not buy books and do not support the product outside of sharing screencaps and pirated content on twitter and tumblr and letting the fans of older characters distance themselves because they can't give them enough chances and shelve them for years as soon as their books end, most of the times due to mishandling or a status quo change.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    So will this series end with the heroes accidentally causing an explosion killing a nearby school and restarting the Superhuman Registration Act?

Because that's how the LAST offbeat team-turned-reality-tv worked out.
    That question is AS ridiculous as the aforementioned accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    That question is AS ridiculous as the aforementioned accident.
    Not quite as ridiculous. But close. All tongue-in-cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Not quite as ridiculous. But close. All tongue-in-cheek.
    The absolute best place for tongues.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    Yes, it is an insult since they are willing to pander to a fanbase that do not buy books and do not support the product outside of sharing screencaps and pirated content on twitter and tumblr and letting the fans of older characters distance themselves because they can't give them enough chances and shelve them for years as soon as their books end, most of the times due to mishandling or a status quo change.
    Gwenpool managed to last 25 issues. That's a lot better than what old characters like Iceman, Nightcrawler, Storm or Luke Cage did.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Gwenpool managed to last 25 issues. That's a lot better than what old characters like Iceman, Nightcrawler, Storm or Luke Cage did.
    Because of endless variant covers and other gimmicks

So people wanted to buy a two issues of Gwenpool rather than one issue of GP and one issue of Iceman.
    Looks Gwenpool fans were actually buying it instead of pirating.
    Maybe it's some of the old guard fans who should begin to pay for the comics instead of reading the storytimes on 4chan.

Gwenpool wasn't that bad, it's just she wasn't for everybody. What hurt her is the visual and name similarity to Deadpool, which makes her feel like some poorly conceived derivative hanging on to the popularity of Spider-Gwen. It also didn't help that when she guest starred in other books, she was written like a deranged flanderized version of herself, sort of like Deadpool when he guest stars or is written in books like Deadpool the Duck.

I believe that's called, "Marvel's primary sales strategy."

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    So people wanted to buy a two issues of Gwenpool rather than one issue of GP and one issue of Iceman.
    Looks Gwenpool fans were actually buying it instead of pirating.
    Maybe it's some of the old guard fans who should begin to pay for the comics instead of reading the storytimes on 4chan.
    The ones that buy variants aren't fans, they are speculators that went thinking it would be another Spider-Gwen situation that they could resell it for a pretty penny. As soon as the variants ended and she met Deadpool the book tanked in sales. Also the old fans would gladly buy comics if they featured characters they wanted to see. The last comic I bought was the final issue of New Avengers because Malin's """"art"""" in Thunderbolts was impossible to stand.

The ones that buy variants aren't fans, they are speculators that went thinking it would be another Spider-Gwen situation that they could resell it for a pretty penny. As soon as the variants ended and she met Deadpool the book tanked in sales. Also the old fans would gladly buy comics if they featured characters they wanted to see. The last comic I bought was the final issue of New Avengers because Malin's """"art"""" in Thunderbolts was impossible to stand.
    A lot of regular fans also buy variants because a lot of fans are "collectors," and they're pretty likely to do that as well to complete said collections. Heck, Marvel knows full well its waging a sales tactic based entirely around collection making when they release several variant covers on regular, non-headline grabbing books.

Speculators are making a comeback and all that, but it's not just speculators who are buying them. A lot of it is just people who buy and bag.

I don't read ANY of the OG Avengers.
    Once upon a time perhaps, but not anymore.
    Not Cap.
    Not Tony.
    Not Thor.
    None of 'em.

But I do buy singles, and variants, and trades, and omnibuses of all the stuff I DO read.
    Ultimates, Mighty & New Avengers, Young, Champs, etc etc But all thoooooose characters aren't revered in the same way as, say, the Trifecta and such by "true fans" or whatever we're calling these stooge-scrooges these days.