Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1061
    Astonishing Member

Doubt anything will capture the magic of the original series. My favorite runs were Byrne and Thomas.

What I loved about this West Coast Avengers is just how different it was. It wasn't trying to mimic or copy the original West Coast Avengers series, instead just taking the name and doing its own thing, acting as an extension to the Hawkeye series (which was already my favourite book of the past 2 years), and just completely embracing the insanity. It was just a flat out fun book, and one that made me smile every time I read. Plus I absolutely love Gwenpool so anything she's in makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    What I loved about this West Coast Avengers is just how different it was. It wasn't trying to mimic or copy the original West Coast Avengers series, instead just taking the name and doing its own thing, acting as an extension to the Hawkeye series (which was already my favourite book of the past 2 years), and just completely embracing the insanity. It was just a flat out fun book, and one that made me smile every time I read. Plus I absolutely love Gwenpool so anything she's in makes me happy.
    Gwenpool could possibly move over to Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    See, I can get enjoying it for what it is, and I enjoy Thompson's work...but I could never get behind using the WCA name like that, but maybe that's just me .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    See, I can get enjoying it for what it is, and I enjoy Thompson's work...but I could never get behind using the WCA name like that, but maybe that's just me .
    I guess its because I have no emotional attachment to the original West Coast Avengers so it didn't bother me personally. Plus there have already been so many different books that have used different Avengers names for wildly different approaches, that I welcomed one that's basically one big wacky comedy, with a cast of characters I really enjoy. Plus it has Jeff the Land Shark, so it wins any argument

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Huh, I'm mixed on Ms. Thompson but I have fond memories of West Coast Avengers.

BUT WHAT THIS VERSION THEY CANT?!?! C'MON MAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Gwenpool could possibly move over to Champions.
    Not likely, because of what happened in her guest appearance in Waid's issue 5.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

More podcast fact time-- Thompson's original pitch was going for a more classic WCA with characters like Clint, Tigra, and Jen Hulk featuring Kate and America as the new kidz on da blocc, but Marvel was looking for a book more like a Young Avengers relaunch in style.

She also talks about how she thinks smaller and more about character interaction than about big, engaging conflicts and villains like Cates (who she talks about) and it's something she thinks she needs to improve on. A comic book writer who can see where they could improve? Is this the Second Coming?

Real good talk--
    http://11oclockcomics.com/2019/02/22...s-episode-591/

She also talks about all her books + craft + the industry + WCA cancellation + fans
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 02-24-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Essentially, the rub is this-- Despite good digital sales, the book's print numbers started out in the danger zone for attrition and then cancellation (it got one second printing, but because orders were that low). So it was clearly a book that needed collection support. As we know, the trade was clearly delayed, but the reason for that was because it was going to be a six issue trade with the Modok and Amusement Park stories. However, Thompson had to make the latter three issues to do it right, which led to the trade getting delayed and reshuffled to just Modok and the two reprints, so the book couldn't hit that market it needed before getting reamed. RIP.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The reprints, by the way, were Kate's issue from Young Avengers Presents (which is where her friendship with Clint started) and Gwenpool #1.

Jason Aaron has some blame here. She-Hulk wasn't available because of his Avengers series. Kelly did still use Tigra in the first arc, and Clint was still included on the team. And that revelation means we now know Gwenpool and Quentin were substitutes and not characters she originally wanted.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-24-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    More podcast fact time-- Thompson's original pitch was going for a more classic WCA with characters like Clint, Tigra, and Jen Hulk featuring Kate and America as the new kidz on da blocc, but Marvel was looking for a book more like a Young Avengers relaunch in style.
    The idea of Thompson having creative control of She-Hulk over Aaron is such a missed opportunity .

I'm kind of surprised that the original pitch seemed to emphasize the older heroes. I was expecting from the start they were setting out for it to be a continuation of her Hawkeye run.
    She also talks about how she thinks smaller and more about character interaction than about big, engaging conflicts and villains like Cates (who she talks about) and it's something she thinks she needs to improve on. A comic book writer who can see where they could improve? Is this the Second Coming?
    This reminds me of how upfront Jeff Lemire is with how bad he is at team books.

Hate Araron's She-Hulk. It's completely missing the point of what She-Hulk should be and what makes her stand apart from Banner Hulk.

Peace

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Real good talk--
    http://11oclockcomics.com/2019/02/22...s-episode-591/

She also talks about all her books + craft + the industry + WCA cancellation + fans
    Wow, this makes me really sad on so many levels. Not just in terms of what could have been, but Marvel's own bad handling of the title. The biggest unspoken story of Marvel's glut of short-lived titles in the 2010s is how many of those cancellations are a result of Marvel being really incompetent at selling and supporting comics (and how the ones that did survive like KSD's Captain Marvel were able to market themselves outside of Marvel's own system).

Maybe Kelly will have the opportunity to do more these characters down the line (or in Captain Marvel?).

I've personally never seen a problem with the more smaller and character interaction focus, because that's where you get some of the best little moments and development. Working in big, epic confrontations and developments is obviously good to have and leads to alot of excitement, but its also important to work in moderation and not overdo it, or else they won't feel as special.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's not just you
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff