Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, the original WCA could have been called something else other than an Avengers book too.

Up till then, there had been no spin-off title for the Avengers. Despite the ties with the core team, it could have easily been an entirely new group.

But, of course, it made more marketing sense to brand it as an Avengers book.

There was nothing wrong with that then and nothing wrong with it now. It's a publisher's job to market their titles in the most advantageous way possible.

A buddy of mine had been saying for months that they should relaunch WCA with Kate leading the team but this is not as out there a move as some would like to claim it is.
    All of this makes sense from a business point of view of course

I would have thought it being branded in the champions franchise makes more sense given the line up

There's a couple of these I like, kate and America, slapping avengers on it detracts from that brand for me

that's not to say they arnt good characters rather they don't make an avengers line up imo,

original WCA had 3 avengers on it, another in this line up would make me think cool, avengers supporting next gen avengers

this feels a bit cheap in the reality show concept, chavez seems way beyond that given how serious she needed to be in ultimates

but mostly it feels miles off an avengers book and I do think titles matter
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    As a huge fan of the original WCA, I hate the fact that the anti-SJW, anti-diversity crowd is lauding the old series as it whines about this one. I don't want to be associated with that crowd! And it's not like this new team is less white and male than the old one, anyway.
    Did you just try to play the race card?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maria Hill got sacked because of Pleasant Hill, and SHIELD was disbanded entirely because of Secret Empire. So yeah, they were punished.
    Ok thanks,

I just could not get to the end of secret empire

Its a very pragmatic title choice, regardless of its preexistence.

Kate is on the West Coast, and has been for some time now.
    Kate is a (freelance?) Avenger (mileage on that cred is gonna vary). As is Clint.
    Clint and Kate like working together.
    They do.
    Superbads are increasing on the West Coast, where hero types are less prevelant.
    Thus.... Kate "assembles" a group and calls them the West Coast Avengers.
    The name has power. Kate and Clint know this. Names have power. Thus, they take the name.

In verse...it makes sense. Its a very Hawkeye thing to do.

I was YAAAAASSS when i saw the title and Barton Hawkeye but then I read the write up and it sounds horrible. Gwenpool and Quiere...gag. Bishop hawkeye is fine but I was hoping for another classic-line up w/ 1-2 new people Avengers's B-Team. Where is Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Wonder Man, Lightening, Squirrel Girl, Vision (who was damaged during No Surrender but still), WTF has Mockingbird been for several years now.....I mean really there's a lot of high profile Avengers mainstays that will be MIA.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    As a huge fan of the original WCA, I hate the fact that the anti-SJW, anti-diversity crowd is lauding the old series as it whines about this one. I don't want to be associated with that crowd! And it's not like this new team is less white and male than the old one, anyway.
    I liked the old series, at least for the first 40 issues or so

I'm failing to see the reaction your commenting about in this forum, sorry it mostly seems the concept or calling it avengers

Sure some people have said there not fans of the line up, so what?

I haven't seen anything about the line up that's been about the characters other than some of them being irritating, which mostly seem at qq

And that's definitely deliberate with him
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-18-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Made the egregious error of expressing my enthusiasm for this title on twitter last night.
    Shared a few article links. Dropped a few joyous comments.

Man oh MAN! I totally get it now.
    I totally understand why folks like Mockingbird's Chelsea Cain get driven off of social media, and find themselves abandoning their pursuits in the Marvel arena.

The "fans" are AWFUL.
    NOT all, of course. No, no, no, no. But the STAGGERING amount of hateful messages and jabs I'd received simply for expressing my excitement for this book is INSANE.
    Straight up vicious.
    All it took was ONE EVENING of this garbage and I'm done.

Don't like the book? DON'T READ IT. What is wrong with people?
    Don't relentlessly badger people who want to read it. What does that gain? How does that improve your life?
    Who in their right mind (I suppose that's the real clincher there) finds such pleasure in being mean to strangers? And because of something they WILL NOT read.

I cannot fathom the level of trash these professionals have to circumvent and navigate on a regular basis.
    I have an entirely new level of respect and admiration for Kelly Thompson and anyone else in the industry who has endured this long.

All that being said, Kelly's Hawkeye ran a STELLAR 3 volumes on the appeal of Kate Bishop alone, so the inclusion of Clint, America, Quire, Gwenpool and their collective fandoms following each of them ought to ensure at least that many arcs for those of us eagerly awaiting this book to enjoy. Really looking forward to Casseli's work on this. He's an incredible talent with clean but expressive lines and a real flare for classic superheroics. Cannot wait. Yay WCA!
    I'm sorry you got harassed online about being excited for WCA. Whether people like or dislike something doesn't give anyone the right to be rude or hurtful towards others.

Spectacular Member

I'm hyped for this. Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye: Kate Bishop was great, super fun and charming. Christopher Hasting's Unbelievable Gwenpool was great. America Chavez' solo was bad but the character was great in Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers and Al Ewing's Ultimates, so that's a writer-issue not a character-issue.

Honestly this is perfect for me.

Idk what the big deal is, the existence of this book won't deter from one's enjoyment of their own books.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I'm hyped for this. Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye: Kate Bishop was great, super fun and charming. Christopher Hasting's Unbelievable Gwenpool was great. America Chavez' solo was bad but the character was great in Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers and Al Ewing's Ultimates, so that's a writer-issue not a character-issue.

Idk what the big deal is, the existence of this book won't deter from one's enjoyment of their own books.
    Exactly this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    I'm sorry you got harassed online about being excited for WCA. Whether people like or dislike something doesn't give anyone the right to be rude or hurtful towards others.
    Absolutely agree

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Exactly this.
    agree

Her solo was poor imo

Every team book I've seen her in she has been fantastic

Mighty Member

So far, I think the only valid ( or at least understandable) reason to be upset about this is other characters getting another shot when they just had books while other characters lay off to the side unused for years.

Understandable, yes, but a necessary evil in the modern industry.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    So far, I think the only valid ( or at least understandable) reason to be upset about this is other characters getting another shot when they just had books while other characters lay off to the side unused for years.

Understandable, yes, but a necessary evil in the modern industry.
    I guess that's understandable and I can certainly relate to being upset about (insert-character-here) not being used.

But using that to argue against another book's existence, and books that people like too, is just so not productive lol. Especially if the books target different audiences anyway. I know a lot of people said the same stuff about DC's Young Animal line and it's like "wow okay, you're absolutely right, I should just stop enjoying these trades of Shade or Doom Patrol since you're not getting your Shazam" lol.
    Last edited by nickytesla96; 05-18-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Astonishing Member

I've loved the idea of wca returning, with again a focus on the less top tier avengers

this concept, by extension means that can't happen, so I'll admit it irritates me a little

but I certainly don't won't others to not enjoy this coz of that

I am very irritated by marvel saying one avengers book and putting another one out so soon

it's like nothing they say has any value or credence when they're talking to us

I'm not surprised but I am disappointed, I thought a new EIC might change that

Well, the original WCA could have been called something else other than an Avengers book too.
    The team being a second string Avengers group was a major focus for it. Hawkeye was tryign to live up to the name and legacy with a less than stellar cast and falling flat.

Otherwise the book was Avengers characters, following Avengers rules, with the Avengers reputation, and fighting Avengers enemies. You could call it something else, sure, but there's no reason to. The book was obviously the Avengers.

If this book decides to follow that trend and have Clint trying to lead a new Avengers team and make it feel like the classic, yet these are the only people he can get for it,. I may change my mind. However I don't expect that to be the focus.