Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

That roster wtf lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The team being a second string Avengers group was a major focus for it. Hawkeye was tryign to live up to the name and legacy with a less than stellar cast and falling flat.

Otherwise the book was Avengers characters, following Avengers rules, with the Avengers reputation, and fighting Avengers enemies. You could call it something else, sure, but there's no reason to. The book was obviously the Avengers.

If this book decides to follow that trend and have Clint trying to lead a new Avengers team and make it feel like the classic, yet these are the only people he can get for it,. I may change my mind. However I don't expect that to be the focus.
    Yes I agree, it was about this

If it's like this again I'd jump onto it, likely as a trade once the flavour comes in

I'm only judging the promo coz that's all we have

If it has the tight flavour that would change my opinion

the writer certainly has the skill to do so

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I'm hyped for this. Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye: Kate Bishop was great, super fun and charming. Christopher Hasting's Unbelievable Gwenpool was great. America Chavez' solo was bad but the character was great in Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers and Al Ewing's Ultimates, so that's a writer-issue not a character-issue.

Honestly this is perfect for me.

Idk what the big deal is, the existence of this book won't deter from one's enjoyment of their own books.
    see that thread titled 'Out of Obscurity: Who is your favorite hero who hasn't been seen in years???' one of the easiest ways to become one of these milk carton characters is to be in a really crappy book. that's why some people (as in me) consider this to be a big deal. I'm not even going to try to speak for everyone else. Kate can rot. but I'd really rather see Clint or Mac disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If anything the Champions would have been a better title for this book. Just like the original it is filled with character that could not carry their own books.
    If Kamala's team didn't exist, then yeah, that name would've suited this team. After all, the full name of Angel's team was the Champions of Los Angeles... and they're seen as a laughing stock in-universe, which this team likely will be as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Huge fan of Thompson but the cast..... yikes!

I’ll be giving it a few issues of course, but with the EVER annoying QQ- this is looking like it’s not going to last on my pull list

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Because it's a cool name for a team based in the Southwest and other than Nightshade all of those characters operate out of the Southwest.
    So... no texas twister? No firebird? No phantom rider?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This relaunched WCA is not the same as Uncanny Avengers or US Avengers. It's obvious meant to be a lighter title and one that, by design, isn't going to be stepping on the toes of the main book whereas US Avengers and Uncanny were books that Aaron would have had to steer his storylines around and vice versa.
    Pretty sure that's the reason for "...FOR THAT ? "

They cancelled two really good ideas for... vomit.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I'll give it a shot and hopefully won't be disappointed but I'm divided on Miss America and Quentin Quire. I don't start fuming at the mouth whenever I read these names as some people seem to but the way they've been handled before have me worried. I loved MAC in Young Avengers and Ultimates but her solo was not for me, so I'm worried which version of the character I'll be reading here, if it's more in line with Ultimates and YA then I'll love it. Quentin Quire has an awful personality and I hated that he was in Generation X at first but I liked how his storyline ended there, with him compromising and promising to grow the **** up. So I wouldn't mind seeing him again if his growth was acknowledged and his shitty personality changed but the problem is another writer could very easily just regress him to being the resident jerk on the team. If Thompson follows his portrayal at the end of Generation X and builds from there I could actually start to enjoy him as a character but if he goes back to his old ways that might make the book insufferable for me.

What specially worries me is that it seems the tone of the book will be the fun and quirky type, which I enjoy in small doses (specially if it's just one character and there's another more serious one to rein them in) but it can get really grating really fast.

About the... reactions:

Some people are not interested in the book, characters or theme, expressed it and left. That's fine.

Many people seem to just not like one or more of the characters or be disappointed/annoyed that one of the characters they like or would have prefered to see wasn't chosen for the roster instead. That's fair.

Others though seem to be angry or confused that this book, with this roster, is being announced and will be published at all. It's like the idea that this book exists offends them, even though they won't read it and could just ignore it. The fact Marvel has allowed Kelly Thompson to write a West Coast Avengers book with these characters is a personal attack against them or is tarnishing the Avengers and WCA brands.

There's a difference between not being interested in a book and just not reading said book and complaining about a book you have no plans of reading from the day it's announced until it hits the shelves simply because you personally don't like the character(s) on the cover and is angry and bewildered that Marvel had the nerve to publish it anyway despite the fact you firmly disapproved of it in a message board.
    Last edited by Mah VM; 05-18-2018 at 04:14 PM.

BANNED

How many issues until we get the first "Clint is a loser while Kate is perfect and amazing" scene?

I say issue 2.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

I guess that's understandable and I can certainly relate to being upset about (insert-character-here) not being used.

But using that to argue against another book's existence, and books that people like too, is just so not productive lol. Especially if the books target different audiences anyway. I know a lot of people said the same stuff about DC's Young Animal line and it's like "wow okay, you're absolutely right, I should just stop enjoying these trades of Shade or Doom Patrol since you're not getting your Shazam" lol.
    People really complained about Doom Patrol?!
    That's strange to me since the Rebirth line has been great, and it's a comic series that goes back to the Silver Age.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    People really complained about Doom Patrol?!
    That's strange to me since the Rebirth line has been great, and it's a comic series that goes back to the Silver Age.
    Honestly, less about Doom Patrol and more about side-imprints like Young Animal and New Age of DC Heroes in general.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, less about Doom Patrol and more about side-imprints like Young Animal and New Age of DC Heroes in general.
    To be fair-it's more about the delays of the book with Young Animal and artist not being able to do full runs on New Age of DC Hero books.

And a commentary on all that "A-B list talent" on those books for folks no one asked for and more popular guys sitting on the bench or stuck with bad talent or crappy stories like Cyborg & Titians.

It's not so much on the rosters themselves but a frustration in general.

And I say that as a reader of Young Animal.

I'm glad Citizen V/X, Rogue, Living Lightning, Herc, Doc Voodoo, SW, Falcon & OG Wasp are no where near this..

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    All of this makes sense from a business point of view of course

I would have thought it being branded in the champions franchise makes more sense given the line up

There's a couple of these I like, kate and America, slapping avengers on it detracts from that brand for me

that's not to say they arnt good characters rather they don't make an avengers line up imo,

original WCA had 3 avengers on it, another in this line up would make me think cool, avengers supporting next gen avengers

this feels a bit cheap in the reality show concept, chavez seems way beyond that given how serious she needed to be in ultimates

but mostly it feels miles off an avengers book and I do think titles matter
    Kate and MAC are Avengers, have been for years and don't need a chaperone. Gwenpool is no stranger to being a hero and Quentin Quire actually has powers that would be really useful against a serious villain and as long as he fixes his attitude/personality he would be a great addition to any team.

Time is not allowed to pass in comics so suggesting partnering the old/classic characters with the young/new characters is just subjecting them to always be patronized and treated as students/children. Because if the old generation will never grow old, retire or die permanently then what are they training for? How long will they have to be sidekicks? These characters will never get a place in the big leagues (Main Avengers/X-Men team) because they're filled with old/classic charaters and will always be because nostalgia sells. So why can't they at least exist separately in their own team and be Avengers in their own right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    I'm glad Citizen V/X, Rogue, Living Lightning, Herc, Doc Voodoo, SW, Falcon & OG Wasp are no where near this..
    The Citizen X thing was a joke. I'm sure next time we see Roberto he'll be calling himself Sunspot again.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman