Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    That seems standard for a Marvel first issue this day - have a longer issue (since they have to introduce the characters, etc.) at a higher price.

So far i haven't seen any of these longer issues that couldn't be done just as well as a standard

as money grabs go it's clever if you want to follow the book

But I'm not going for price hiked first issues any more, none I've seen needed to be longer, they just seem stretched to meet the page count to meet the price hike I feel

If issue one is more than the normal book I just skip the entire run now

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    What is the source issue of this panel??

I love your icon by the way

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    So far i haven't seen any of these longer issues that couldn't be done just as well as a standard

as money grabs go it's clever if you want to follow the book

But I'm not going for price hiked first issues any more, none I've seen needed to be longer, they just seem stretched to meet the page count to meet the price hike I feel

If issue one is more than the normal book I just skip the entire run now
    Is your intention to not read any new books until you run out of Marvel books?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Personally, I'm just going to trade wait WCA. I like the format better and it's cheaper since I'd be getting the trade even if I got the singles.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Is it normal for a trade to release a full three months after the last issue it contains drops? Cuz, uh-- I think the Whackos could've used some trades.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Kelly said something about that herself. Unstoppable Wasp and Iceman both got uncancelled because of good trade sales (Iceman ended up as just a mini, which I imagine is due to Age of X-Man). Her own Hawkeye got a third trade because the first one sold well (which in turn must've done OK, since it led to WCA). So there's a possibility that WCA could be brought back later.

I don't get why they don't wait until the first trade has been out for a while before cancelling a series. Unstoppable Wasp should've taught them that lesson.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fun fact-- Nick Spencer was going to pitch more comedy books to Marvel like West Coast Avengers and Damage Control before being offered Captain America by Brevoort.

Astonishing Member

If they keep doing them at higher price then I'll be fine if that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised.

Peace

BANNED

Yeah, taking a stand against higher priced, oversized issues seems like one of the more pointless crusades to wage.

Better to just admit that comics have become too expensive for your budget and walk away. Because, clearly, whatever message anyone is trying to put out against not buying any comic that's priced higher than the industry average is falling on deaf ears as sales show the greater majority of fans have no problem ponying up the extra buck or so.

Not surprising. As a fan of both Thompson and the original WCA, I expected this to be one of my favorite titles but it just didn't click for me. Dropped it after two issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Fun fact-- Nick Spencer was going to pitch more comedy books to Marvel like West Coast Avengers and Damage Control before being offered Captain America by Brevoort.
    I'm sure they would have been great. Had Rick Remender not left Marvel and left Cap open to a new writer, I bet we would have got some of those humor titles.

But as I loved Spencer's Cap, I can live without his would-have-been WCA run.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

That's disappointing. It was certainly my favorite Avengers book right now. I also noticed how I had a surprisingly high number of Kelly Thompson books. Oh well. Maybe the trades will help it come back, but I wish they had let it stay a little longer even if its run is nothing to be ashamed of in modern contexts.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, taking a stand against higher priced, oversized issues seems like one of the more pointless crusades to wage.

Better to just admit that comics have become too expensive for your budget and walk away. Because, clearly, whatever message anyone is trying to put out against not buying any comic that's priced higher than the industry average is falling on deaf ears as sales show the greater majority of fans have no problem ponying up the extra buck or so.

Not surprising. As a fan of both Thompson and the original WCA, I expected this to be one of my favorite titles but it just didn't click for me. Dropped it after two issues.

I'm sure they would have been great. Had Rick Remender not left Marvel and left Cap open to a new writer, I bet we would have got some of those humor titles.

But as I loved Spencer's Cap, I can live without his would-have-been WCA run.
    Yeah, Spencer's only other monthly book at the time was Ant-Man, I think. Which actually wound up ending once the Steve Rogers book got underway because he was too busy on Cap - and then after Secret Empire, he took over Amazing Spider-Man and Archie. If Remender hadn't left Marvel, I get the feeling that Sam Wilson's Cap tenure would've ended differently (he might even have still been Cap now). Secret Empire as we know it wouldn't have happened either.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I am very disappointed and saddened by this. WCA is one of my favourite current titles. Its quite different from the original WCA (which was also one of my favourite titles in its day), but it was never trying to be a remake of the original.

I will miss this book a lot once its gone, but in the meantime I intend to enjoy the heck out of the remaining issues!

oh wow the artist for the next issue is great, what timing