BANNED

Default How would you feel if the ORIGINAL Power Girl died a heroic death for good...

Given the concept of death is a joke in comics nowadays, does anyone think that certain heroes should take a permanent dirt nap...in other words...what if in the process of bringing back the JSA that Power Girl sort of dies a heroic death to bring the team back ?

I mean considering her messed up history: How would anyone feel if Power Girl died in a heroic way ?

I don't think the revolving door of death "problem" in comics is much of a problem in the first place. It's been part of comics lore for a loooong time (and by long time I mean way before Death of Superman). So I wouldn't bother trying to permanently kill off anyone, regardless of the hero, if the motivation is only to try and show that death means something again. Because it won't, and really never has outside of origin stories and the death of supporting characters to drive the hero.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

To the OP: It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they did start making deaths more permanent because I happen to agree with you that comic book deaths ARE a joke these days. These days I just cringe and roll my eyes over them instead of reacting to them as if they had any deeper meaning at all because sadly they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think the revolving door of death "problem" in comics is much of a problem in the first place. It's been part of comics lore for a loooong time (and by long time I mean way before Death of Superman). So I wouldn't bother trying to permanently kill off anyone, regardless of the hero, if the motivation is only to try and show that death means something again. Because it won't, and really never has outside of origin stories and the death of supporting characters to drive the hero.
    I suppose it depends on your point of view whether it's a problem or not. Personally, because deaths in comic have become revolving door, I just can't take them seriously and those deaths lose all emotional impact for me as a result no matter how well they are handled or the circumstances involved. There is an essential piece of realism missing in those types of comic book stories nowadays that really lessens my overall enjoyment, for lack of better word, of such a story. YMMV there but that's just how I feel.

Just to give you an example: Back in the day I was literally in tears when Jason Todd was killed and it had a lot of emotional impact BECAUSE it was, at least at the time, intended to be final. There was going to be no coming back for him and so I was never expecting to see him again period. That meant something to me at the time because it showed that being a hero sometimes had fatal consequences. It was a realistic depiction and the memory of it stuck with me for years after even though I wasn't reading comics anymore.

Fast forward some years later to the death of Damian Wayne. I should have had a similar reaction here. It was once again the death of a character I had come to love over the course of his existence and he was dying a heroic death even. Unfortunately, comic book deaths these days are reversed from almost the moment they happen so I couldn't even muster up any feeling toward this one other than apathy with a side order of "oh, this nonsense again it'll be reversed in a month." That to me is a sad state of events because it makes death feel meaningless and trope-y instead of being a serious consequence of a heroic life like I feel it should be.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Considering Limbo is the superhero equivalent of death, Power Girl has already been dead for years now.

I want her alive and running her own tech company,and then kicking ass when she is power girl or powerwoman.

I would feel lousy. Its my favorite char. Instead of constantly sidelining they should bring her back with a bang and an own series. Given her "ultimate survivor" pre any crisis have been in it all status it would make for some wild stuff and backdoor for some more obscure re-appearances in current DC. And considering that current Supergirl is more into doing selfies with Batgirl PG could cover some stuff SG had when she was a big girl.

Add a cherry on top and hand it (back) to Conner/Palmiotti (Hey, a man can dream ).

Here's what they do with the Power Girl. After DC listens to my infinite wisdom and creates the new parallel Earth-1, make it so that Power Girl is a denizen of THAT world. She leaves that universe's Krypton for some reason well before Kal ever leaves and through some accident of fate, she is transported to Earth-0. She'll be the older cousin of the young Earth-1 Superman, but they'll have never known each other till some event has the two worlds meet for the first time, and even then, she'll still stay on Earth-0. So from then on out her origin is classically what it always was, its just the Earth she's from has a different name designation, and its a reversal where its the younger Earth she's from this time around, not the older one, as this time around the older "legacy" earth is the main one and the younger one is the offshoot.

This is with the understanding that the recent Earth-2 stuff is just completely wiped out. That trainwreck never happened, and if there is to be a newly designated Earth-2, it will be a whole other unrelated concept.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-18-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

No, no, no. When you kill a character you're removing something someone enjoys, no point in doing that for some kind of false emotional high. You're in a genre about escapism and everyone was just whining to high heaven about darkness so leave it be.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

She's one of my favorites, so frankly I'd hate it. Besides, Barry was given the absolute greatest death a superhero can ask for and it was desecrated by reviving him. No death for PG will feel important after that. It will just feel like another way to push Tanya.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Here's what they do with the Power Girl. After DC listens to my infinite wisdom and creates the new parallel Earth-1, make it so that Power Girl is a denizen of THAT world. She leaves that universe's Krypton for some reason well before Kal ever leaves and through some accident of fate, she is transported to Earth-0. She'll be the older cousin of the young Earth-1 Superman, but they'll have never known each other till some event has the two worlds meet for the first time, and even then, she'll still stay on Earth-0. So from then on out her origin is classically what it always was, its just the Earth she's from has a different name designation, and its a reversal where its the younger Earth she's from this time around, not the older one, as this time around the older "legacy" earth is the main one and the younger one is the offshoot.

This is with the understanding that the recent Earth-2 stuff is just completely wiped out. That trainwreck never happened, and if there is to be a newly designated Earth-2, it will be a whole other unrelated concept.
    There was a different Earth-2 post Infinite Crisis, so in theory the classic PG doesn't have to change. She's from Pre-Crisis Earth-2 and that can still be intact. What it comes down to is that Kara is a survivor from a destroyed universe.

I'm big on death in comics. It raises the stakes. If she died in a great story then that would be great. Got to make it stick though. I hate characters coming back.

**** characters can die all day,every day,Karen is not a **** character,she is a survivor,and a character women can look up too,and men want to be with.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I felt like they should have gotten rid of her after COIE. She doesn't really work outside the context of Superman's cousin. Every other attempt to make her work was always pretty ham fisted and felt uncomfortable. Here's someone from the previous universe but we're not allowed to acknowledge that part. So we give her this complex backstory that makes no sense in any context. I would argue she was one of the few characters who actually was helped by New 52. It restored her Earth 2 origin. Even if it wasn't in the exact same context as before. It wasn't perfect but it made her work.
    Assassinate Putin!

Powergirl is a great character that works in many different places and ways evident in her rich history in the DC.

She could literally be dropped anywhere and work