Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Batman: White Knight

I'm a little surprised that there is no thread here about "Batman: White Knight", since I think it is one of those great stories that will be remembered for years.
    What do you think?

Incredible Member

I agree. It was a good story, fantastic art and a fair number of easter eggs from across the Batman mythos. It's also great to have something different to the norm.
    That said i'm not surprised there isn't a thread. Think majority of Bat-Fans were not keen on it because "it wasn't their Batman" and thus could not appreciate the storytelling.
    Hope they do a "part 2".

I watched the video for it and it was kind of excited for the premise. A CURED Joker. I had that idea about 2 years ago. I REALLY REALLY want to see that in the 'real' DCU. Just something to make Arkham actually look EFFECTIVE FOR ONCE!! The whole idea of the asylum is that the insane get treated... but nobody ever gets cured. All those numerous threads about how Batman should kill Joker because Arkham doesn't work...

What if it DID??

I mean, naturally... it would never EVER be permanent... but imagine the idea of a Joker who is sane and has a conscience and has to deal with all the guilt of all he's done!! Someone who would work WITH Batman to try to make amends for his sins...

That idea REALLY appeals to me... at least in the short term. I mean, Two-face and Riddler had bouts as 'Good guys'... and he's marrying Catwoman… but what if JOKER flipped?

So that really appealed to me looking into this story. However I didn't like the end result. It really did have a 'not my Batman' feel to it. Instead of my idea about Joker trying to redeem himself... they had to hurl Batman under the bus. And not only did they have to claim that HE was the psychopath who was a detriment to Gotham... they went and made it actually TRUE. Between blowing up bridges and inventing City Tax Fraud and Nazi Parents... Having Jason come first and Hate Bruce... There was way too much 'Elseworlds' in this story. Instead of 'What if Joker was good and turned the city against Batman'.... we had to back track to 'What if Batman did XXX and XXX and then YYY and alienated ZZZZ and suddenly the Joker seems to make sense....

I can understand not wanting to tell the story in the 'main' universe... but I wish it had been written in a way that it COULD have been the Main universe, if that makes any sense. As it is, the story was told and I don't really see much else I want from that Earth.

I don't think it will be remebered for years. The premise was interesting, but the story is really boring imo. I prefer going sane over this one too.

Fantastic Member

This just proves if batman was created now instead of 1938 he would be considered evil and facistic for stopping evil and crime. Yes this modern society especially todays artists thinks evil is good and good is evil this just proves that point. I am an out of time man who approves of the bat-man

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Semer View Post
    I'm a little surprised that there is no thread here about "Batman: White Knight", since I think it is one of those great stories that will be remembered for years.
    What do you think?
    The fact that it’s not talked about here is a testament to how good this story was. People only want to talk about things they dislike for the most part.

This was a great story. It had a lot to say. It had a few hiccups and some heavy handedness in some areas, but it was very, very solid. Also, the art was amazing. Can’t wait for the sequel. Check out The Bat Force’s podcast with Sean Murphy. It’s the only podcast he is going to do and there’s a lot of good stuff about White Knight in it.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I don't think it will be remebered for years. The premise was interesting, but the story is really boring imo. I prefer going sane over this one too.
    So many people already call this story one of their favorite Batman stories, ever (on his Instagram, his Twitter, and Reddit). This story will definitely be remembered.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Fantastic Member

It is well recieved because he wrote in an unbiased way though I think he sides with the joker aspects he knows there are plenty of people like me who would sympathise with that version of batman as well. Unlike most people in the media he handles the opposing view point with respect that is why this story is universally praised by those who would support the joker or in my case batman in that world

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It really did have a 'not my Batman' feel to it. Instead of my idea about Joker trying to redeem himself... they had to hurl Batman under the bus. And not only did they have to claim that HE was the psychopath who was a detriment to Gotham... they went and made it actually TRUE. Between blowing up bridges and inventing City Tax Fraud and Nazi Parents... Having Jason come first and Hate Bruce... There was way too much 'Elseworlds' in this story.
    Well, it is out of continuity, so it can be considered an "Elseworlds" story. And to give Batman a bad name and put the city against him was one of the schemes of the bad guy. It is interesting that the bad guy makes even readers doubt about Batman. In a way you are included in the scheme.
    One of the great things of this story is that it disconcerts you; it makes your head spin to decide who is right. It makes you wonder what you should think when bad guys do good things or when good guys do bad things. It poses a lot of interesting topics.
    And I don't want to include any spoilers here, but all those bad things Batman does are satisfactorily explained in the end.
    The idea of a sane Joker who is also an evil machinator after all is really interesting. And the portrait of Harley Quinn is more and more fascinating.
    There's plenty of action, plenty of food for thought, superb layouts and art, great story telling... What else can I ask for?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    That said i'm not surprised there isn't a thread. Think majority of Bat-Fans were not keen on it because "it wasn't their Batman" and thus could not appreciate the storytelling.
    No, it's because it tried to deconstruct Batman tropes and traditions by using an Elseworld. Why try to address issues or themes from mainstream if you're going to use a different world to do so?

Also, the overall writing was really sloppy, the characters gave ideological speeches instead of talking like real people, some nonsensical plot points, the other Bat-Villains save Mad Hatter and Mr. Freeze (if he counts) were used as fodder, and the use of politics early on was honestly kind of gross. The only saving point for me was the art and some of the designs (particularly, the Ventriloquist's).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    The fact that it’s not talked about here is a testament to how good this story was. People only want to talk about things they dislike for the most part.

This was a great story. It had a lot to say. It had a few hiccups and some heavy handedness in some areas, but it was very, very solid. Also, the art was amazing. Can’t wait for the sequel. Check out The Bat Force’s podcast with Sean Murphy. It’s the only podcast he is going to do and there’s a lot of good stuff about White Knight in it.
    I agree with your first point. The boards skew way more towards the negative and critical end.

Definitely one of my favorite Batman stories in a long while. Seemed like a gimmicky premise but it ended up being anything but. Went way beyond "good guy" and "bad guy", all of the characters were much more engaging because they were nuanced and not 100% either stereotype.

Looking forward to the White Knight Verse! Murphy's Rules for his line of titles were all ideas I can get behind.

There were threads about each individual issue as they came out, if you're interested, Semer.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    No, it's because it tried to deconstruct Batman tropes and traditions by using an Elseworld. Why try to address issues or themes from mainstream if you're going to use a different world to do so?

Also, the overall writing was really sloppy, the characters gave ideological speeches instead of talking like real people, some nonsensical plot points, the other Bat-Villains save Mad Hatter and Mr. Freeze (if he counts) were used as fodder, and the use of politics early on was honestly kind of gross. The only saving point for me was the art and some of the designs (particularly, the Ventriloquist's).

"Why try to address issues or themes from mainstream if you're going to use a different world to do so?" - Because if it was done mainstream, people may throw a tantrum that the writer is "trying to deconstruct Batman tropes and traditions".

As to the "really sloppy writing" - we'll agree to disagree. Don't know how to respond to your view on the use of politics...

There's a bit of irony in your statement "...instead of talking like real people". This is a book that has a gator-man and one made of clay. #justsaying.

BANNED

it's good just sad and I hated Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    So many people already call this story one of their favorite Batman stories, ever (on his Instagram, his Twitter, and Reddit). This story will definitely be remembered.
    Good for Murphy then. He seems passionnate about it, so I hope he will be able to do more. I don't think this is a story I will think about often though and in that regard, I doubt I would read a sequel.

I'm also annoyed by this "murphyverse" stuff.

It was great to see the way Harley was used throughout, it has probably been my favourite portrayal of her in years.

I can see this story sticking around and I expect to be a mainstay of top ten Batman stories the same way Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum or Hush are always on the list.