Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why did DC kick Martian Manhunter out from the League?

Martian Manhunter was so powerful with unique ability. He has been one of the "Big 7" for decades, why did they kick him out and replaced with Cyborg? I don't see how Cyborg fit well with the league like he did. Is it time to change it back?

Diversity in the league.

Well, he'll be rejoining the team for Scott Snyder's run .

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Diversity in the league.
    He is alien, his power is pretty much unique and very very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    What I mean is they wanted to add a black person to the big 7.

Retired

DC seems committed to this idea of an original, magnificent seven—if you don’t count Snapper Carr and despite Green Arrow joining early into the classic run. So if you start with seven, I’d argue that ties their hands, as they have to have a Superman, a Batman, a Wonder Woman, a Flash and a Green Lantern—the five tentpoles of the DCU. Which leaves Aquaman and Martian Manhunter as the oddmen out.

But I would have taken out Aquaman, if it came down to that. He’s always seemed an odd character to join the Justice League of America. He’s not a USA based character, his element is the sea, he’s an outsider and when he becomes king it makes no sense for him to pal around with this American super-team.

Yet I’d also argue there’s no need for an official seven membership. There could just be characters like Snapper that hung out with the League. The GL Corps are their own team, so any of their members could help out the JLA without joining them officially. J’Onn J’Onzz is usually undercover and could assist the League without ever revealing himself as a Martian.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Also, he's always been known as being the heart of the team.

It is mainly due to diversity though.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think one reason is, in terms of abilities, a lot of overlap/redundancy with Superman. It's the same reason we never really see Superman and Shazam/Captain Marvel in the League at the same time very much.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think one reason is, in terms of abilities, a lot of overlap/redundancy with Superman. It's the same reason we never really see Superman and Shazam/Captain Marvel in the League at the same time very much.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    A lot of his power is unique. Actually Wonder Woman and Aquaman(on land) have more power overlap/redundancy with Superman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm new so I don't know why he was included in the first place. As far as I know, he's the only one without a title in the 60s
    ...much like Cyborg at the start New 52

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Also, he's always been known as being the heart of the team.

It is mainly due to diversity though.
    Irony was with all the other leaguers before New 52 the team became less diverse IMO.

Retired

Martian Manhunter was in DETECTIVE COMICS (edited by Jack Schiff), Aquaman was in ADVENTURE COMICS (edited by Mort Weisinger).

The Justice League, as edited by Julius Schwartz, had two characters from Schwartz—Flash and the new GL (who was just about to get a comic book of his own)—two characters from Weisinger—Superman and Aquaman—two characters from Schiff—Batman and MM—and one character from Bob Kanigher—WW.

The wonder is Green Arrow got no love—as he was in both ADVENTURE and WORLD’S FINEST COMICS (edited by Schiff).

But in the early issues, Schiff and Weisinger limited usage of Batman and Superman, so for Schwartz, the Green Arrow and Manhunter from Mars were like the replacement Batman and Superman.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-17-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Because he’s a green Superman who has telepathy.

Retired

When Morrison used J’Onn’s telepathy to unite the team, I thought that was an innovative insight. It was useful as both a unifying idea and as a narrative device. It gave the League a distinct flavour and from that point on J’Onn seemed like a necessity to the JLA.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    DC seems committed to this idea of an original, magnificent seven—if you don’t count Snapper Carr and despite Green Arrow joining early into the classic run. So if you start with seven, I’d argue that ties their hands, as they have to have a Superman, a Batman, a Wonder Woman, a Flash and a Green Lantern—the five tentpoles of the DCU. Which leaves Aquaman and Martian Manhunter as the oddmen out.

But I would have taken out Aquaman, if it came down to that. He’s always seemed an odd character to join the Justice League of America. He’s not a USA based character, his element is the sea, he’s an outsider and when he becomes king it makes no sense for him to pal around with this American super-team.
    The difference is that Aquaman is more successful as a solo Hero.