Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't agree with that. I think it would be a promotion. He'd have a bigger role, in a comic that's pretty popular.
    I think "pretty popular" may be in the eyes of the beholder. In April, Titans #22 sold about 29,000 copies (29,018 copies) through Diamond.
    Compare that to Green Lanterns (#44 and #45), which sold a little over 24,000 copies for each issue (24,528 copies and 24,173 copies).
    Haven't you been complaining that, based on sales-numbers, the Jessica & Simon title has been a failure (or something to that effect)?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    .......Still?

If Flash can get screen time with Batman on the same team, I think it'll be ok. (2 white heroes)

If Martian Manhunter can get screen time with Superman, it'll be ok. (2 alien heroes even though one looks white)

If Black Canary/Jessica Cruz can get screen time with Wonder Woman, it'll be ok. (2 women heroes)

The world can handle Cyborg and John Stewart being in the same book. It's no different than if they were to add any other character. Focus is shared throughout any book.

And no, I would not like to see Vic go to a Titans team.
    This just makes me think that J'onn shouldn't have been away from the League as long as he has, and that I wish Black Canary was back in the League (and a good League book) .

Actually, now that I think about it, Oddyssey is kind of a Titans-esque team. It's got Cyborg and Starfire, Jessica is a young adult (Kyle was a Titan too for a hot minute), Jean-Paul's probably borderline...it'll feel even more like one if Blackfire shows up .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think "pretty popular" may be in the eyes of the beholder. In April, Titans #22 sold about 29,000 copies (29,018 copies) through Diamond.
    Compare that to Green Lanterns (#44 and #45), which sold a little over 24,000 copies for each issue (24,528 copies and 24,173 copies).
    Haven't you been complaining that, based on sales-numbers, the Jessica & Simon title has been a failure (or something to that effect)?
    Comics shops are ordering 24K copies of Green Lanterns. You can believe they're selling that many if you want to. I think they're selling more like 19K. Regardless, the comic's sales are dropping. Meanwhile, Cyborg is selling just 8,290 copies but DC is STILL publishing his comic! They also let the sales of Blue Beetle drop to 8K before canceling that title.

So sales don't mean anything when diversity is at stake. I bet they'll let Baz and Cruz drop that low too.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-19-2018 at 09:16 AM.

.......Still?

If Flash can get screen time with Batman on the same team, I think it'll be ok. (2 white heroes)

If Martian Manhunter can get screen time with Superman, it'll be ok. (2 alien heroes even though one looks white)

If Black Canary/Jessica Cruz can get screen time with Wonder Woman, it'll be ok. (2 women heroes)

The world can handle Cyborg and John Stewart being in the same book. It's no different than if they were to add any other character. Focus is shared throughout any book.

Thank you, please say it again. Vic and John are 2 completely different people.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

.......Still?

I agree. If Cyborg or any other character can't get an appropriate amount of panel time, then the writers are not doing their jobs.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I agree. If Cyborg or any other character can't get an appropriate amount of panel time, then the writers are not doing their jobs.
    Cyborg will be a small fish in the Justice League's pond. He would be a big fish in the Titans' pond.

The logic was, of all of the African-American superheroes at the time, Cyborg was the most well known to the non-comics world (going all the way back to the '80s). John Stewart was close, but 1) his show was off the air longer and 2) Hal Jordan was very popular in the comics at the time. Static, IMO, would have been the best pick, since he actually was the star of his own animated program, but there would have been contractual concerns for DC if that had happened.
    I get what you are saying and I understood that from when they initially did it. But at the time and still today I would argue that is not using logic at all.

The people writing DC at the time where bent on fundamentally shaking up, to the point of shattering, the DCU. This was their opportunity to really incorporate an Iconic minority in the mix. Basing their pick of Cyborg being the most popular black man on who to place in the Justice League is nothing but LAZY. Choosing Cyborg does not consider what it will do to the current fan base, its not considering present in story connections, it's not considering the ramifications of the black man they chose being the least "prettiest" (not a word, I know) among the Calvin Klein gods that is the Justice League, and it doesn't consider the long term for Cyborg as a character.(Who is and will be a dated concept just due to the growth of technology.)

The only thing they seemed to considered is " He's popular. He's black. He must be a perfect match" and by doing so they somewhat failed before they even got started.

Cyborg will be a small fish in the Justice League's pond. He would be a big fish in the Titans' pond.
    This hurts like hell but it is the truth.

Two people of color can be on any team and still be effective and not be lessened than the other. However, Cyborg, a character who has a rich history on another team and was made specifically to be around those characters, does not really fit. His constant misuse today should be proof of that.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-19-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I don't agree with that. I think it would be a promotion. He'd have a bigger role, in a comic that's pretty popular.
    What Earth are you living on? Rebirth Titans has been utter trash, and Starfire has also made the jump to JL status. Sending him back to the Junior JL would absolutely be a downgrade, and there’s zero reason to believe he'd have a larger role than leading his own JL team like he’s doing now.

The first part of your post is subjective, though I'm glad you agree with me now in the latter part that the Titans would be a step down for Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The only thing they seemed to considered is " He's popular. He's black. He must be a perfect match" and by doing so they somewhat failed before they even got started.
    That's just the way it is in the business. John Stewart was picked for the JL cartoon for the same reason. If something has a greater chance to increase the bottom line, management will do it.

That's just the way it is in the business. John Stewart was picked for the JL cartoon for the same reason. If something has a greater chance to increase the bottom line, management will do it.
    Again, I see what you are trying to say but in truth that is the way FAILED business handle things. Something that is repeatedly proven with DC lagging behind it's competitor for so many years.

If you want anything to actually be successful you will have to put more thought and work into it.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

martian proably to powerful

They should have gone with Steel. He has a past with the league and was great on the team. You get the diversity and he can do a lot of the same sort of stuff Cyborg can.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Again, I see what you are trying to say but in truth that is the way FAILED business handle things. Something that is repeatedly proven with DC lagging behind it's competitor for so many years.

If you want anything to actually be successful you will have to put more thought and work into it.
    Well, since none of us here have market research or scientific polling data to indicate which direction DC should go creatively, I guess there's not much more to say then.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    They should have gone with Steel. He has a past with the league and was great on the team. You get the diversity and he can do a lot of the same sort of stuff Cyborg can.
    If the movie from 20 years ago had been popular enough, that might have happened.