Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    They should have gone with Steel. He has a past with the league and was great on the team. You get the diversity and he can do a lot of the same sort of stuff Cyborg can.
    He might've been a better choice but people still would've been asking the same questions. Except it wouldn't have all the Titans fan drama attached to it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I would’ve gone with Black Lightning over Cyborg, honestly. It wouldn’t have messed with Victor’s titans history, and it would have elevated Black Lightning to be a more high profile character. Cyborg was already popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Comics shops are ordering 24K copies of Green Lanterns. You can believe they're selling that many if you want to. I think they're selling more like 19K. Regardless, the comic's sales are dropping. Meanwhile, Cyborg is selling just 8,290 copies but DC is STILL publishing his comic! They also let the sales of Blue Beetle drop to 8K before canceling that title.

So sales don't mean anything when diversity is at stake. I bet they'll let Baz and Cruz drop that low too.
    Y'know, none of that addresses how "popular" Titans is (or isn't), though you seemed to imply that it is.

Ehhh...I find Cyborg to be a great pick for the League at this point.

An original character. Not a spin-off or branch of any other pre-existing character.

A techno-organic being. One of a kind.

A technopath. A powerset not shared with any other hero in the League.

Ties to the Fourth World. Seems we've just been waiting for a writer who could capitalize on this. Justice League Odyssey may finally answer the call.

Has a relatively high amount of exposure ...with more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIncarnate View Post
    I would’ve gone with Black Lightning over Cyborg, honestly. It wouldn’t have messed with Victor’s titans history, and it would have elevated Black Lightning to be a more high profile character. Cyborg was already popular.
    At the time, DC was dealing with an issue with Black Lightning's creator. It's settled now but it's way after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    At the time, DC was dealing with an issue with Black Lightning's creator. It's settled now but it's way after the fact.
    DC should be trying to move him in right now. By the time the next DC reboot hits atleast fans would have been used to seeing him there.

They also could have used Vixen or Mister Terrific. Both are fan favorites.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    As someone who is a minority, I do not want that. That would be a joke to me and kind of insulting.

Reasons
    - Diversity and rightly so.
    - Cyborg is relevant is terms of skill set.
    - Cyborg is a more known character (due to TT show) than MM
    - MM is a lot harder to write.
    It would absolutely be insulting and it would've hurt MM among fans for being a half-assed attempt to introduce diversity to the JL. DC knew that, which is why rather than have MM masquerade as a black man they got the first part of the equation right by deciding they needed to bring in an original black character. They just screwed up the second part of the equation by having Cyborg be the replacement for all the reasons others have stated. I personally would've preferred Black Lightning or Vixen, who are older, established black heroes who if written correctly could come to stand as equals to the rest of the League over time.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    DC should be trying to move him in right now. By the time the next DC reboot hits atleast fans would have been used to seeing him there.

They also could have used Vixen or Mister Terrific. Both are fan favorites.
    Black Lightning is in the midst of a push right now. His profile is rising.

As for Mr. Terrific, he's yet another legacy character. Not original and too much in common with Batman at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    Black Lightning is in the midst of a push right now. His profile is rising.

As for Mr. Terrific, he's yet another legacy character. Not original and too much in common with Batman at the time.
    Hal, Bary, and even in some ways Wonder Woman are all legacy characters. The current Mr. Terrific at this point is so far removed from the original I think it would have worked far better then the current Cyborg situation.To add Flash WW, Aquaman, and to some degree even Cyborg all are similar in some fashion to Superman. Mr. Terrific being a comparison to Batman is a non-issue. DC would just have to play up the tech/T- Spheres a bit more and lean him harder on the Gadgeteer side of things and it would have been fine.

Either way still a better choice than Cyborg. Don't get me wrong I think Cyborg is a awesome character. He is just a poor match for the JL and has better position in the Titans
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Wonder Woman is in no way a legacy character. Byrne's dumb idea notwithstanding, but that's gone from continuity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-19-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wonder Woman is in no way a legacy character.
    The Wonder Woman that is currently being used now is based of the Wonder Woman whoes mother wore the outfit and tiara first.

That fact has probably been washed out with all the reboots but it does not change what the character was based off at some point in her history. Which is why I put "in some ways" .

No, that stuff is all out of continuity. There's no indication any of that history remains with the current WW, thankfully. And even in those stories, Hippolyta still technically wasn't the first to wear the costume and go by WW because time travel was involved. It would appear that way from the outside looking in through the natural course of time, but she still wasn't the first. The appearance of such made it a stupid idea though.

Not to say I have a problem with brief stories where non-legacy characters have someone else briefly take up a mantle. In that case if Hippolyta ever needed to fill in for some reason, that's fine. As long as it was brief and Diana got her role back in short order. But Diana is the first and only true wielder of the identity outside of said emergency measures.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-19-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Hal, Bary, and even in some ways Wonder Woman are all legacy characters.
    Hal and Barry were created as reboots, not legacy characters, while Diana was a completely original character at her inception.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Hal and Barry were created as reboots, not legacy characters, while Diana was a completely original character at her inception.
    Hal and Barry where based of a previous characters before them. Diana in story at one point inherited her mystical artifacts (tiara, lasso, and so on) from her mother and the amazons. Those are legacy in some form are another. Which are similar to how Mister Terrific is today.

Definiton:
    : something that happened in the past or that comes from someone in the past
    He left his children a legacy of love and respect.
    The war left a legacy of pain and suffering.
    Her artistic legacy lives on through her children.
    http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/legacy
    Synonyms:
    synonyms:consequence, effect, upshot, spin-off, repercussion, aftermath, by-product, result
    In story or out of story at their core they are what they are. Wonder Woman to a lesser degree but with DC being how and what it is any writer can cherry pick what they do or don't like at a moments notice.

My point stands. JL has "legacy" characters in it that are similar to Mister Terrific, that is not a reason why he would not make a lesser choice then Cyborg.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-19-2018 at 01:20 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Hal and Barry where based of a previous characters before them. Diana in story at one point inherited her mystical artifacts (tiara, lasso, and so on) from her mother and the amazons. Those are legacy in some form are another. Which are similar to how Mister Terrific is today.

Definiton:

Synonyms:

In story or out of story at their core they are what they are. Wonder Woman to a lesser degree but with DC being how and what it is any writer can cherry pick what they do or don't like at a moments notice.
    Well, they never, ever were considered legacies as we define the term in comic-book circles before 1985. As for Michael Holt, he wouldn't have been considered a legacy pre-COIE, either (assuming he would have been on Earth-1, of course).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?