Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Characters That Can Work With Or Without Powers

Which characters do you think make just as much sense having super powers as not having them?

For me:

Phantom Lady

Black Canary

Ryuku Orsono

Artemis of the Bana

Surprisingly for me Hal Jordan, if written correctly.
    Although the arc ended pretty horribly, the idea was there.
    In a forced minor arc Jordan was pretty much out of the Corps as John Stewart was being established.
    Although it doesn't stop Jordan from heroing, as the ring never made Jordan, it recognized him for his brave honest will, he fueled the ring. Takes an experimental rocket-pack from Ferris, and goes on a bit of an (pre-Rocketeer)action-hero adventure.

Always thought with all the derivative Earth Lanterns vying for attention, if they do ever hiatus Jordan from the Corps.
    Him and Carol Ferris, could keep adventuring, her with Ferris tech and financing coming up with the flight themed arsenal, and Jordan as the secret "pilot".
    I'd even extend it into a space faring gear and mission.

Knowing him he'd continue his pledge to the Oath, and be his own space faring One Man Corps.

Last edited by Güicho; 05-31-2018 at 04:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

To be honest I think almost any work if aimed at well.

Like folks joke about Superman being "useless" without his powers but if written correctly he's still a master of certain combat styles and has a whole cache of alien tech to wield if needed.

I mean he was Nightwing in those old silver Age stories where he'd go into Kandor to explore even. But this is often forgotten.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    In a forced minor arc Jordan was pretty much out of the Corps as John Stewart was being established.
    Although it doesn't stop Jordan from heroing, as the ring never made Jordan, it recognized him for his brave honest will, he fueled the ring. Takes an experimental rocket-pack from Ferris, and goes on a bit of an (pre-Rocketeer)action-hero adventure.
    Reminds me a bit of how Hal was Sky Night if I'm remembering the name in Busiek's Trinity run. In a reality where GL's weren't allowed on Earth Hal either seemed to wield Earth tech and a flying harness of some kind (or was secretly a GL in disguise, it wasn't clear). And I always found that a fun idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Reminds me a bit of how Hal was Sky Night if I'm remembering the name in Busiek's Trinity run. In a reality where GL's weren't allowed on Earth Hal either seemed to wield Earth tech and a flying harness of some kind (or was secretly a GL in disguise, it wasn't clear). And I always found that a fun idea.
    I agree that the concept of Hal Jordan as a character puts him on the cutting edge, no matter where he ends up. I imagine even without powers he'd end up flying some experimental craft into the unknown being the same hotdog he always was, whether he'd become an outright "hero" per se.

Ultimate Member

Superman's adventured in Kandor, back in the day, without his powers, and I thought he was pretty decent at it. I have no idea how Kryptonian martial arts compared to earthly martial arts, but they *sound* neat. (And if he could pack some Kryptonian tech, so much the better!)

Even without their powers, quite a few characters, like Wonder Woman, Donna Troy, Starfire, Black Canary, etc. are pretty impressive combatants, and should be able to continue to function as heroes. Others, like Lobo or Conner Kent, who tend to just charge in and trust to their toughness to keep them up, might be in for a more painful learning curve.

Batman's been a vampire, and odder stuff, but it would be interesting to see how other typically non-powered folk, like Green Arrow or Nightwing, would function with powers.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Make "Just as Much Sense" seems to be the measuring stick here, even though I love imagining characters with/without their normal abilities.

I love Mr. Terrific's invisibility to technology, but it's not at all necessary to his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Make "Just as Much Sense" seems to be the measuring stick here, even though I love imagining characters with/without their normal abilities.

I love Mr. Terrific's invisibility to technology, but it's not at all necessary to his character.
    I'm pretty sure that's just something that comes from his suit and is not an actual power.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's just something that comes from his suit and is not an actual power.
    I'm reading that in Johns' JSA run they referred to it as a new meta-human trait. Don't remember from reading it though.

Clark Kent, ace reporter. Add more investigative journalism to how he finds crime and some alien tech to thwart it and he could out-Batman Batman.

Astonishing Member

I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent.

If I want to read about skilled characters with cool gadgets, I have all of the Bat-Family to entertain me.

All else need some powers to be interesting to me.

Now I'm just imagining forensic scientist Barry Allen trying to outwit the Rogues with nary but a love of science and criminal psychology .

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I actually really like characters that are not defined by their powers but would be a hero regardless.

That's why one of my favorite stories of all time is Act of God. Loved that two of my favorite characters in there said "Screw it" even without superpowers and retrained themselves to be super heroes without the powers. Wally West and Linda Danvers.

Superman also had a few stories where he lost his powers and still was a hero. Like Krisis of the krimson kryptonite. As well as Wally West has had a story or two where he lost his powers and still trecked on.

Hal Jordan is a prime example who has relied as much on his will power and fists than on his ring.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Always thought with all the derivative Earth Lanterns vying for attention, if they do ever hiatus Jordan from the Corps.
    Him and Carol Ferris, could keep adventuring, her with Ferris tech and financing coming up with the flight themed arsenal, and Jordan as the secret "pilot".
    I'd even extend it into a space faring gear and mission.

These are among my favorite depictions of Hal Jordan. I would love to see another extended period in which Hal is forced to have adventures without his ring. Send him into the furthest reaches of space with nothing but a spacesuit, a jetpack and his quick wits.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I thought Beau Smith did a good job showing that Guy Gardner still goes alright without a power ring!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.