Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can the Green Lanterns even be said to have super powers? Since it all comes from their rings?

It'd be like saying Batman has superpowers because he has the Hellbat suit.

Astonishing Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Can the Green Lanterns even be said to have super powers? Since it all comes from their rings?

It'd be like saying Batman has superpowers because he has the Hellbat suit.
    The source of their powers is external, but only they themselves can command it. Just like Billy with the power of Shazam,or even Superman and a yellow sun. Almost anyone can use the Hellbat suit to some degree.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

Stick from Daredevil?

I thought the (Emma Peelish) de-powered WW was for the most part rejected?

?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Stick from Daredevil?
    LOL I-Ching predates Stick.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-30-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Clark Kent, ace reporter. Add more investigative journalism to how he finds crime and some alien tech to thwart it and he could out-Batman Batman.
    I was thinking something similar only I'd leave out the alien tech. It would be Clark's small town values, his worldliness, and his smarts vs big crime and corruption.

Ultimate Member

Thing is, a lot of older characters could probably work as they were pulp and sci-fi influenced superheroes as opposed to superhero influenced superheroes if that makes sense?

Jonni Thunder, which I'd love to see Mike W. Barr handle.
    Currently reading: Legion of Super-Heroes ('80s), New Teen Titans ('80s)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman is a wall of a man, and he's fought all kinds of master fighters. He's got size, man. That may not always be the biggest asset, but he isn't going down without one nasty brawl.

I'd bet on him, with or without powers.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman is a wall of a man, and he's fought all kinds of master fighters. He's got size, man. That may not always be the biggest asset, but he isn't going down without one nasty brawl.

I'd bet on him, with or without powers.
    I couldn't help but cringe at that statement.

The only real advantage size gives someone, is more reach. But against a trained fighter (and some of the ridiculously skilled ones in DC), not even reach would make much of a difference.

He did defeat Batman without powers in hand to hand combat in one of the older World's Finest issues....for whatever that's worth.

But to answer the OP's question:

Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Martian Manhunter (as John Jones detective)
    John Constantine
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 05-30-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Amazing Member
    Last edited by SelinaK12; 06-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Well, Superman should never be baseline human because his baseline physiology is still far beyond our's; even without yellow sunlight he should be beyond human ability. But if he were to be dumbed down to that level (which has happened more than once because he gets a lot of sh*t writers) he's still an impressive fighter with combat skills culled from a multitude of earth-based styles, as well as ones gained from the future and alien civilizations. He's smart as a whip, great at improvising in any situation, and has more experience than just about everyone else around.

So even without powers, he'd be a pain in the ass to take down. He'll be out-fought by the likes of Shiva, Batman, or Canary of course. But he's still tough enough to make it a real fight, and it's not like he's unaccustomed to going up against more dangerous opponents, so he just might cheat his way into victory.

And of course there's the arsenal of technology and weapons at his disposal that're so dangerous he doesn't even tell the League about them. Even if he weren't worth anything in a fist-fight he's got gadgets that would make Batman weep.

Wonder Woman.....man, I almost think she'd be more dangerous without powers since she wouldn't feel the need to hold back. That woman is probably the scariest person in the entire DCU and I wouldn't be surprised to see her pull out a win against nearly any opponent, powers or no powers. Take away her flight, speed, and strength and she's still one of the most skilled fighters on earth when it comes to archaic weapon styles, spent a lifetime being trained by the greatest warriors on earth, and has access to some damned impressive mythical weapons and armor. Girl is an unstoppable force even before you factor in her super powers.

And as much as I dislike the character, I agree that Hal Jordan would still be a hell of a hero if he lost his ring. Actually watched a Justice League Action episode with my daughter recently where he took down Lobo without his ring and I totally bought it.

And I'm going to add Cyborg to the list too. We've rarely seen Vic without his cybernetics but he was a NFL caliber athlete before his accident and is a genius intellect. He's got years of experience fighting all kinds of threats and has trained with some of the greatest fighters in the DCU. He might not be taking down Batman on his own, but I don't think it would take much for Cyborg to get back on his game if he lost his enhancements either.

I imagine Starfire would be pretty skilled at combat without her powers too. Or, well, the original Kori would be......the one we get lately, inspired by that Titans Go cartoon, might not be the highly trained royal warrior the Wolfman version was.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-02-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I couldn't help but cringe at that statement.

The only real advantage size gives someone, is more reach. But against a trained fighter (and some of the ridiculously skilled ones in DC), not even reach would make much of a difference.
    This is true, but you ever punch a dude who was so beefy he just stood there and took it like it weren't nothing? I imagine punching even a "humanized" Clark Kent would be like that. You're not going to drop him with a strong right hook, you're gonna need to go for the nerve strikes, overwhelming punishment, and shatter some knee caps, and doing that is a lot harder than just hitting someone in the head. It's not like he's a super skilled fighter, but even when he's been de-powered Clark's a tough SOB. Those farmers are thick, man.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!