Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default School shootings

As far as I'm aware, all these kids have been bullied and/or have suffered from major psychological issues. Should we not start focusing our efforts there, to prevent these killings instead of reacting to them?

In any situation where kids are unsupervised by adults, bullying is a very real danger. So the first step should be to see that kids are always supervised.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...518-story.html
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    As far as I'm aware, all these kids have been bullied and/or have suffered from major psychological issues. Should we not start focusing our efforts there, to prevent these killings instead of reacting to them?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...518-story.html
    All these kids also have incredible easy access to weapons of war.

Anyway, it's a moot point.
    Republicans love guns about as much as they hate the very idea of healthcare. Neither option is possible. You can't do anything about the guns, and you can't do anything about preventive psychiatry.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Bullies are a thing in other developed countries to, but they don’t have mass murders every week like this. The USA needs to realize that no this isn’t happening everywhere, the vast majority of these mass shooting are happening here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Bullies are a thing in other developed countries to, but they don’t have mass murders every week like this. The USA needs to realize that no this isn’t happening everywhere, the vast majority of these mass shooting are happening here.
    You're right. And mental illness is no more common here than it is anywhere else. Other countries don't have the easy access to weapons we do. But we can do a lot more to stop bullying and to get early intervention for kids with psychological issues. We shouldn't need school shootings to motivate us to do that.

BANNED

But we can do a lot more to stop bullying and to get early intervention for kids with psychological issues.
    No, you really can't. Not with 21st century Republicans in power. They really hate that and would never allow it. And I'm sure somebody will be around soon with a detailed list of the things they have done to make things worse in this regard.

And even then, your ability to alter human psychology is likely very limited. It should be easier to keep guns away from kids than it is to thought police them.

Are young white males the only kids bullied in the US lol?

I mean, come on.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I mean, come on.
    Right. Where are their fathers btw?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Santa Fe, Texas is just few miles from the house that I grew up in. I also went to college with some friends who were born and raised in that town. Right now, my co-workers and I are sitting here in shock and saying how "close to home this is"; as well as wondering if the friends and relatives of the people that we know are still OK. There is still much that we don't know; and we are still waiting for more facts to surface.

Five days a week, I drop my 11-year-old son off at school and say "I love you" as he gets out of the car. It's gotten to the point that as I'm driving off, I wonder if that is the last time I get to say those words to him. Right now I want to cry for the parents whose children won't be coming home tonight.

Seriously; how much more of this do we have to take? Our children deserve better than this.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I mean, come on.
    This thread shouldn't become about ragging on white people. The fact is that guns are expensive, and families who are more affluent and more populous -- that is, whites -- are more likely to have kids who can get their hands on guns.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't suggesting that whites are genetically more predisposed to violence than blacks and Latinos are.

This thread shouldn't become about ragging on white people. The fact is that guns are expensive, and families who are more affluent and more populous -- that is, whites -- are more likely to have kids who can get their hands on guns.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't suggesting that whites are genetically more predisposed to violence than blacks and Latinos are.
    Obviously not since Europe and Australia don't have a school shooting every week.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

The schools just aren't a priority for anyone. Look, teachers are underpaid and have been for years and years. Schools lack basic infrastructure and teaching materials. They have crappy security by and large.

Just not a priority for either Democrats or Republicans.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Obviously not since Europe and Australia don't have a school shooting every week.
    Exactly. The difference here is the availability of weapons.

But that doesn't absolve our society of the duty to do something serious about bullying and psychological problems among kids.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-18-2018 at 10:38 AM.

xactly. The difference here is the availability of weapons.

But that doesn't absolve our society of the duty to do something about bullying and psychological problems among kids.
    I don't disagree at all.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

The fact is that guns are expensive, and families who are more affluent and more populous -- that is, whites -- are more likely to have kids who can get their hands on guns.
    What, in the blue hell does that even mean? Rhetorically speaking of course. Sports cars are expensive. Jewelry is expensive. Brand named Italian bags and clothes are expensive. I haven't ever seen the 'more populous -- that is, whites' 'more likely' to flaunt any of those things in middle America.

You can get a Bushmaster from fucking Wal-Mart and until recently Dicks. Have you, OP, ever SEEN the families of any of the dozens of school shooters. Affluent is not an appropriate adjective for them. Also NOBODY is more LIKELY to do anything unless they make an effort to do what ever behavior.

Firearms make middle America feel empowered if you really want to start somewhere.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

No, not at all.

I'm ragging on the fact that "bullying" is the cause at all.

Where are all the gay boys shooting up schools?

Where are all teenage girls shooting up schools? Teenage girls are RUTHLESS with bullying... why aren't they blowing people away?

What about the asian kids who get slant eye taunts from elementary school on?

Hell, what about fat kids? Biracial kids who feel like they don't fit in anywhere? Muslims? You think black kids aren't ruthless too in HS?

Why is it the exact same demographic every single time? Bullying isn't unique to them at all.

Obviously bullying sucks and should be stomped out as much as possible. Obviously psychological issues should be dealt with as much as possible. But this can't be the "cause" or school shooting demographic would be much more spread out
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html