Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default Okay so... who else likes Austen/Reis on Action?

To be honest, Chuck Austen outright owns one of my least favorite stories of all time, "Captain America: Ice." And there are very many accounts of many other stories to avoid, though I think what seems to be a blacklisting is harsh.

His Action though, starting with Gog and ending under the Finn writing guise (maybe that wasn't him, but still within the confines of his run. I mean come on, Gog and smart Doomsday again) was quite cool. His Superman was red and blue all the way, so noble and really about to explode with confidence.

And so cool as drawn by Ivan Reis. I first came to collecting Action regularly with the Banshee issue drawn beautifully by D'Anda, but Reis did almost the whole thing. His work was much younger, but I think he had a great ink partner in Campos and so great shading with the storytelling even if his aesthetics then weren't what they are now. Check out the Gog fight:

I liked that with Schultz, too. The "I'm not gonna die... um, again" Clark. His power levels were about set by then and there was great action.

I liked that run

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

There were some questionable story choices...but art wise it's one of my favorite runs.

In fact that whole 2004 era rocked art wise even if the writing was not great. Matt Clark on Adventures, Jim Lee on Superman and Ivan on Action...that was a murderers row of artists.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It was for sure the lowest point in my reading of Superman comics, and why I stopped reading Superman comics for a long time- but Ivan Reis flat out rocks. Such great art.

Was it Austen specifically? That time was very uncertain in feeling, and by the time I knew more of Austen's work it was in the worst possible light. So I skipped back issues for the longest time until recently.

Frankly, I see the level of concern and sometimes outright fear for the upcoming Bendis run, and I think about how these things get weird reputations outside of their actual qualities as a story.

Ivans white templed Superman and badass conner Kent was amazing in the run

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I liked Austen & Reis' Action Comics. Still do.

This was the era in which I dropped a Super-title for more than a few issues, not due to financial constraints, but just because it sucked. That title was Azzarello & Lee's Superman.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I've never read these but I hope they're better than Austen's X-Men. I'm not usually a negative person or bash writers and creators, if I don't like something I just move on. But his X-Men run truly deserves all the notoriety it gets. I'd almost put it in the territory of movies that are so bad they're good.

Reis is great though. Pumped that he's on the new Superman title.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I liked Austen & Reis' Action Comics. Still do.
    I was okay with that run too.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I've never read these but I hope they're better than Austen's X-Men. I'm not usually a negative person or bash writers and creators, if I don't like something I just move on. But his X-Men run truly deserves all the notoriety it gets. I'd almost put it in the territory of movies that are so bad they're good.

Reis is great though. Pumped that he's on the new Superman title.
    The weird thing is that I'm not even sure X-Men was his worst project for whatever that means. And then he's done other Superman comics and they stunk. But aside from a really not getting Lois in a strange way, Action wasn't bad.

I agree with SJNeal that it wasn't as painful to follow as For Tomorrow, although I think the gap between those runs almost completely closes when you read the collected edition of the Azzarello story.