Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    I think in terms of design the OG has them beat, regarding actual fluidity in motion this wins.

I will say their is a considerable difference in the old one's opening credits to it's actual narrative animation. The opening is super clean.
    Eh if anything this one proves "fluidity" isn't everything. There's definitely more that goes into good animation than that. And I'm not really sure it even has that over the original. Fluidity can't fix horrible.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    I think in terms of design the OG has them beat, regarding actual fluidity in motion this wins.

I will say their is a considerable difference in the old one's opening credits to it's actual narrative animation. The opening is super clean.
    And I think this is what people remember the most, tbh. Kinda like how GI Joe's openings were wayyyyyyyyyyy more fluid than what actually appeared in the episodes themselves.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Nah actually the animation for the original was great and compared to this...well there's really no comparison this is horrible. This generation of kids deserves better than crap like this. I mean damn they don't even have a choice.
    Why can't we let them decide? It's really not up to those who watched the first cartoon to determine what this generation should or should not like.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Why can't we let them decide? It's really not up to those who watched the first cartoon to determine what this generation should or should not like.
    Your right if kids like it so be it. Just seems like CN just doesn't have much variety almost everything they do is in this vein. It'd be better if kids had more to choose from on their channel. At the same time a lot of parents will choose for their children what to watch. It's not a good idea to troll fans of a previous gen, which is what this cartoon looks like it's doing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Your right if kids like it so be it. Just seems like CN just doesn't have much variety almost everything they do is in this vein. It'd be better if kids had more to choose from on their channel. At the same time a lot of parents will choose for their children what to watch. It's not a good idea to troll fans of a previous gen, which is what this cartoon looks like it's doing.
    Do you really think they're trolling, though? Honestly, I think it's more than likely that they're really not giving the generation that enjoyed the first (or even second) Thundercats cartoon a second thought.

BANNED

Do you really think they're trolling, though? Honestly, I think it's more than likely that they're really not giving the generation that enjoyed the first (or even second) Thundercats cartoon a second thought.
    Yeah, it's a bit..."self-important" to call this trolling.

They're not out to get you, mmkay?

The majority of those 80's cartoons just weren't very good, the same is true for most of the 90's stuff too. Modern cartoons are just much better. That doesn't mean this show is going to be great, but, just because it has an art style doesn't mean its bad.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The majority of those 80's cartoons just weren't very good, the same is true for most of the 90's stuff too. Modern cartoons are just much better. That doesn't mean this show is going to be great, but, just because it has an art style doesn't mean its bad.
    You'll have a hard time convincing me of this. In the past people could hand wave away the flaws in new IPs like Steven Universe or Uncle Grandpa, since there is no direction comparison to be made. ThunderCats Roar changes all that, you can take this dumpster fire of a cartoon and compare it directly to both the 80s original and the 2011 reboot. On every count, from storytelling to art style, ThunderCats Roar is objectively inferior to previous ThunderCats cartoons. I think that the people responsible for ThuncerCats Roar are creatively bankrupt; children today deserve better than what Cartoon Network is offering.

Extraordinary Member

Okay let's say they aren't trolling. After the failure of umpteen reboots over the years I'd say not giving the fans of the original property a second thought-would be a huge mistake. This dismissive attitude towards original fans is what kills a lot these things before they even get started.

Because you're basically disregarding what made the thing successful in the first place. A lot of ppl standing up for this are kinda like "Oh the original was crap anyway." Well if the ppl doing the reboot feel like that which is kinda the vibe ppl are getting why remake it? Just make something new. Taking something successful from the 80s/90s and degrading it or changing it so it's the opposite of what the original was. That's just a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 06-01-2018 at 06:09 AM.

BANNED

And I think this is what people remember the most, tbh. Kinda like how GI Joe's openings were wayyyyyyyyyyy more fluid than what actually appeared in the episodes themselves.
    Let's be honest. People aren't coming down on this for the fluidity. It's the juvenility. Samurai Jack wasn't much more fluid than this is. But it didn't look like Powerpuff Girls either.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Debatable. I feel older shows were more high concept and ambitious. Even the bad ones tend to be high concept, the kind of stuff that can be brought back as a somewhat decent movie later. I’m not sure that’s the case with a lot of this newer stuff, which seems a lot more “watch then forget.” Their are exceptions of course.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Agreed entirely. What's more likely is that they simply saw a property that they could repackage for today's audience/children and not those of the 1980s (which doesn't necessarily mean it's being degraded, btw). It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that what children want today is entirely different than what children wanted 30 years ago.

Like I've said before, this cartoon isn't for adults. It's for kids (who more than likely want something different in their entertainment than we did). And that's okay. Not everything has to be about us. Why not just let them have this since we already have the original (it's free with an Amazon Prime account, fyi ).
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-01-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

If your goal is just to put out a new show for kids, you don't need the name "Thundercats." That name means less than nothing to today's kids. Invoking that name and these characters is very much intended to draw the attention of the fans of the previous shows. "It's not for you" is a thin excuse that holds no water. If it's "not for us," you could've made a silly show featuring cat-featured warriors called "Teh Lightning Kittehs" and you could've still drawn in your new audience. The old school fans would've either ignored the show altogether or they would've glanced at it, dismissed it as a bad Thundercats ripoff, and then moved on.

Oh! Also? If you're REALLY trying to reach kids? You don't put the show on network TV. Kids of today do NOT go there looking for their cartoons. They stream. So if this IS a sincere attempt to appeal to new kids, it's a very bad one because you're not even trying to reach the appropriate market.

They knew full well what they were doing here. Either that, or they are monumentally incompetent at marketing. It's one or the other. Maybe both.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

An attempt at a Thundercats knock-off would just as likely be derided as such, and we’d still be at square one.

And I never made the comment that this cartoon was an earnest attempt at making a “good product”. I don’t particularly care for this style of cartoon, so I made my general first assessment and, as with other things I don’t like, decided it’s not for me to enjoy.

It really doesn’t have to go beyond that.

I think it'll be great.