Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Thundercats animated series (2020)

Have you seen this video posted at Entertainment Weekly giving a sneak peek at the new series? It's taking the Thundercats and basterdizing it to appeal to the Teen Titans Go! / Adventure Time kiddie crowd.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/18/cartoon-...imated-series/

The guy who created this new take pretty much encapsulates everything that is wrong with the Hollywood reboot mentality.

This another reason why i don't watch Cartoon Network and still boycotting once Christina Miller is ousted she is a cancer of the network when it comes of quality cartoons.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

WTF is wrong with them!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

This is why I hate remakes/reboots now I have to clarify to anyone if I say I like Thundercats.

Well, that's ... horrible.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The only cartoon from the mid 80’s I liked more than Transformers was Thundercats, so I see this new version as nothing short of an abomination!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    This another reason why i don't watch Cartoon Network and still boycotting once Christina Miller is ousted she is a cancer of the network when it comes of quality cartoons.
    She needs to go and get someone else who cares about quality and not money.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The only cartoon from the mid 80’s I liked more than Transformers was Thundercats, so I see this new version as nothing short of an abomination!
    I agree, 2011's was great and Transformers Prime with My Little Pony FIM and Voltron Defender are examples of retro cartoons done right in revival.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    This is why I hate remakes/reboots now I have to clarify to anyone if I say I like Thundercats.
    This seems more like a parody than a proper remake.

Ah well. it's clearly not for me. The Stephen Universe/Adventure Time character design, etc. It's for younger kids. So be it. Hopefully someday there will be some straight to video animated Thundercats films.

Fantastic Member

That just looks bad. I'll pass.

As for "wait and see", I've seen enough bad movies that I can tell when something is going to be crap from the trailer. This show fits right into that category.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I watch Steven Universe and sometimes Adventure Time and their animation is way better than that. This looks more like OK KO which is aimed at much younger kids.

A few people here have said "wait and see" and "it's aimed at kids," but the ORIGINAL ThunderCats from the 80s was also aimed at kids and was done with an earnest sense of adventure rather than what seems like some snide hipster parody. Will this really sell a ton of toys? I dunno.

I guess this is just the kids' distillation of what has passed for writing in Hollywood for the last 20-25 years. Just glib and superficial with no real depth, but lots of quips and "metacommentary." I've seen that that kind of lazy writing comes across as being sophisticated to millennials and younger.

Extraordinary Member

Looks like hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    A few people here have said "wait and see" and "it's aimed at kids," but the ORIGINAL ThunderCats from the 80s was also aimed at kids and was done with an earnest sense of adventure rather than what seems like some snide hipster parody. Will this really sell a ton of toys? I dunno.

I guess this is just the kids' distillation of what has passed for writing in Hollywood for the last 20-25 years. Just glib and superficial with no real depth, but lots of quips and "metacommentary." I've seen that that kind of lazy writing comes across as being sophisticated to millennials and younger.

It hasn't even aired yet though.