Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Probably wait and see before judging?

So much overreacting here. Plus these shows are for a younger crowd. Let them enjoy their stuff.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

No power on this Earth could get me to watch this show. Good God!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Well, it definitely doesn't look like my kind of thing. But if kids dig it, it shouldn't matter.

I mean, I loved the 2011 version too. I especially liked the episode that showed Wilykit and Wilykat's backstory, because it turned the way action cartoons usually do kid characters on its head. I mean, ever notice how kid characters on action shows usually don't have any past to speak of besides the fact that they're conveniently orphans. Kit and Kat, by contrast had a past in which they experienced tragedy and made tough choices even before they met the rest of the Thundercats. But anyway, back on topic. One of the issues the 2011 series had was that the toys didn't sell but the ratings were okay and the DVDs sold pretty well. That's usually an indicator that a show has found an audience of adults and teenagers rather than the kid audience it was aiming for. Which is fine, but not what they intended. So, they're doing another take with more kid appeal. At this point, I figure I'll just let the kiddies have their show rather than complaining about it.

She needs to go and get someone else who cares about quality and not money.
    She has said she only cares about the app. Why do you think they have ads for it every 5 min. The channel is just there. They have all these shows and won't air them. Nick wanted to air looney tunes. CN swooped in and paid for the rights then only aired them for a month (and only a few of them) then dumped them! They only got the rights so nick couldn't! Jerks. If nick had got them kids would see them. There are kids who don't know who road runner is! How many kids know who huck hound or wacky races are?

(By the way, yes cn has to pay wb to use the classic hanna barbera stuff! WB owns cn! They have to pay themselves! That's like a mcdonalds store has to pay another mcdonalds store to use fries! What is wrong with you wb?)

I think I understand now why Justice League Action failed on Cartoon Network. It just wasn't goofy or comedic enough for current CN's standards .
    It failed because they pulled a pokemon and put it on at 5am on weekends. Yeah kids will watch that.

At least infinity train is coming.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Now we now DC greenlit their streaming service because they're were absolutely tired of the excecutive meddling of network higher ups of constant delays, creative being held down, cancelling universal acclaim cartoons due to toy merchandise & tv shows due to low ratings
    Yep. I'd love nothing more than for DC to start up this streaming service and start pumping out fantastic animated shows one after the other. They could say "Hey! We've been sitting on these shows for a long time because we knew CN would crap all over them if we let them handle them. Don't have to worry about THEM anymore!"
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ah well. it's clearly not for me. The Stephen Universe/Adventure Time character design, etc. It's for younger kids. So be it. Hopefully someday there will be some straight to video animated Thundercats films.

Fantastic Member

That just looks bad. I'll pass.

As for "wait and see", I've seen enough bad movies that I can tell when something is going to be crap from the trailer. This show fits right into that category.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I watch Steven Universe and sometimes Adventure Time and their animation is way better than that. This looks more like OK KO which is aimed at much younger kids.

A few people here have said "wait and see" and "it's aimed at kids," but the ORIGINAL ThunderCats from the 80s was also aimed at kids and was done with an earnest sense of adventure rather than what seems like some snide hipster parody. Will this really sell a ton of toys? I dunno.

I guess this is just the kids' distillation of what has passed for writing in Hollywood for the last 20-25 years. Just glib and superficial with no real depth, but lots of quips and "metacommentary." I've seen that that kind of lazy writing comes across as being sophisticated to millennials and younger.

Extraordinary Member

Looks like hot garbage.

About a month ago after I finished the latest season of Voltron I was thinking to myself that I'd love to see what DreamWorks would do with ThunderCats. Then I see this..

I dig the color direction, and the logo is charming but I can't say I'm stoked they used the TC property. I've seen the trend rising throughout the years, yes, but damn. I haven't watched CN since CN City so I'm not sweating this, but it's still sad to watch something you like just regress in certain areas. What sucks about this is that when the "chibi" version comes out of something, the potential of the stylistic realism coming back becomes slim.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    People say this is the style they teach at CalArts, which is why we see it so often now. I really can’t stand it.
    Dude, my illustrator friend told me this exactly around two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    A few people here have said "wait and see" and "it's aimed at kids," but the ORIGINAL ThunderCats from the 80s was also aimed at kids and was done with an earnest sense of adventure rather than what seems like some snide hipster parody. Will this really sell a ton of toys? I dunno.

I guess this is just the kids' distillation of what has passed for writing in Hollywood for the last 20-25 years. Just glib and superficial with no real depth, but lots of quips and "metacommentary." I've seen that that kind of lazy writing comes across as being sophisticated to millennials and younger.

It hasn't even aired yet though.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post

So much overreacting here. Plus these shows are for a younger crowd. Let them enjoy their stuff.
    Giving it a chance is all well and good but it's the company's obligation to present their products to the consumer, not the consumers obligation to give the manufacturer a chance. If the manufacturer presents the customer-base with representation of the product that does not resonate with said customer-base, it falls on the manufacturer, not the customer. With that said, I can't stand the look or sound of it. However, I'm not the target audience for this.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Don't mind a more humor based take on the source material, or that it's likely aimed at younger kids.

Do sort of find the animation fairly so-so though. But I'll give it a shot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post

The younger crowd should watch Ducktales which was rebooted quite successfully. The younger crowd should watch Dora the Explorer for all i fucking care, dawn it! The age is not an excuse whatsoever to take a classic and rape it in every way possible.