Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    just because something is "made for kids" doesn't mean it can't be well-made and smart. that's why a lot of cartoons from the 80s and 90s are well liked and remembered as opposed to whatever they crank out these days, a few exceptions of course.

my nephews, 10 and 7, don't watch a lot of what's on CN. when they want cartoons, they watch boomerang which is full of old school and classic cartoons. my oldest nephew loves old school scooby doo and looney toons.
    My nephew is 7 and he also doesn't watch what's on CN. He watches the toons that are on Netflix. It seems Netflix is the only place for well-made toons are still being produced. He's a big fan of the new Mr. Peabody and Voltron.

my nephews, 10 and 7, don't watch a lot of what's on CN. when they want cartoons, they watch boomerang which is full of old school and classic cartoons. my oldest nephew loves old school scooby doo and looney toons.
    They have a app channel also. But you have to pay $5 or get it with free with amazon's prime app. Has looney tunes, jetsons, Scooby and others plus some 90s toons like courange and that awful gym partner is a monkey show plus 80s ones like smurfs and pac-man Christmas!

https://watch.boomerang.com/
    https://watch.boomerang.com/shows
    https://watch.boomerang.com/movies

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yep. The original Thundercats was marketed exclusively toward kids. It was still a billion times smarter and deeper than this hot garbage will be. Assuming the show even sees the light of day.
    Maybe there will be people that will like this new version, in spite of its flaws.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Maybe there will be people that will like this new version, in spite of its flaws.
    If so, then they could just as easily re-skin the characters as some other generic cartoon characters and call the show literally ANYTHING other than "Thundercats" and those same people would enjoy the show just as much.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Good lord. I'm sorry, but the reactions in this thread are embarrassing.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My nephew is 7 and he also doesn't watch what's on CN. He watches the toons that are on Netflix. It seems Netflix is the only place for well-made toons are still being produced. He's a big fan of the new Mr. Peabody and Voltron.
    my sister has netflix but i;m not sure if they watch any show on it. as soon as they come over, they are watching boomerang.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    They have a app channel also. But you have to pay $5 or get it with free with amazon's prime app. Has looney tunes, jetsons, Scooby and others plus some 90s toons like courange and that awful gym partner is a monkey show plus 80s ones like smurfs and pac-man Christmas!

https://watch.boomerang.com/
    https://watch.boomerang.com/shows
    https://watch.boomerang.com/movies
    they have too many apps on their stuff as is. not sure if they would get much use out of it.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Which even for awhile now they've been pushing reruns of their current shows on there. You have to do astromical calculations to figure out when you'll catch Tom & Jerry or Loony Tunes. I'm damn near sure they don't even touch the 90s to early 2000s stuff anymore, but that's a topic for another thread. lol
    they've already expressed that they don't like shows like TTG and ok go. in the words of my 7 year old nephew, TTG is "stupid looking".

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is just he nature of the beast. If your going to try and sell your show on nostalgia then your going to have to deal with the blowback from the people who loved the show as kids. I don't remember any real blowback on the 2011 series or even the 2002 He-Man reboot series because they both were decent shows that didn't dumb things down to the lowest denominator. Just because a show is for kids does not mean it has to be dumb which unfortunetly is what mot TV execs think these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It is just he nature of the beast. If your going to try and sell your show on nostalgia then your going to have to deal with the blowback from the people who loved the show as kids. I don't remember any real blowback on the 2011 series or even the 2002 He-Man reboot series because they both were decent shows that didn't dumb things down to the lowest denominator. Just because a show is for kids does not mean it has to be dumb which unfortunetly is what mot TV execs think these days.
    Man, I miss that He-Man cartoon .

The 2003 turtles was a good reboot also.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

2K3 Turtles series is my all time favorite Turtles show.

1998 Johnny Quest reboot is another good one. The Quest World CG was absolutely breathtaking at the time.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Netflix is the new place to get good cartoons. CN like most of mainstream cable is having an identity crisis right now as more and more people are cutting the cord. The streaming format is more tailor made for serial “action/adventure” style cartoons anyway. You don’t have to worry about what time it comes on. You don’t have to deal with as much censorship, and you don’t have to worry about missing episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    People say this is the style they teach at CalArts, which is why we see it so often now. I really can’t stand it.
    Apparently, CalArts just goes with current trends in animation. People have been complaining about the 'CalArts style' since at least the '90s, but it means different things. In the '90s someone complaining about CalArts style meant you were saying it's trying to look like a Disney/Don Bluth kind of thing. People have decided to blame the biggest animation school for what's actually just current trends in animation.

Seems 'CalArts style' was John K.'s complaint about how The Iron Giant looked!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This is what I don't understand. They deliberately play to nostalgia, Then get offended when people criticize and compare it to the original.

I also don't get the "It's for kids," argument. We are talking about Saturday morning style cartoons here. They're all for kids, that isn't a legit defense really. it's more like an excuse.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 05-20-2018 at 04:35 PM.

I'm watching the 2011 TC right now. I saw the first episode before I left for college, but then I blinked and it was off the air. I didn't think they got past 10 episodes, so it's nice to see they got 26. It had a slow start in the first episode, but picked up quick towards the end. This version is awesome thus far, the designs are a wonderful update and they have a good handle on emotion.