Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    The very fact that this is on Cartoon Network should have been the very first clue that this is being targeted to the most immature of 4 year olds. Everything that's been serious and targeted to a teen audience has been schedule shifted unexpectedly and not promoted until Cartoon Network could claim that the show in question was dropped because of ratings. They've been doing it for decades.

Cartoon Network has been the most hated network of geekdom for a very long time. It deserves all the scorn that is heaped on it. I hope ratings for this new Thundercats show are so low, the network has to shut down and none of these fools ever work in animation again.
    Ummmm okay then?

Geekdom needs to really check themselves. I remember so many shows getting rebooted and it turned out fine. Also they have market research, and a lot of data to go into to see who likes their shows. We have like no data to see who watches what.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Geekdom needs to really check themselves.
    What? Seriously, what? Geeks aren't allowed to hate the network that clearly works against creators of great shows like the ones I listed? Freaking check yourself.

If you want to watch what is obviously going to be a steaming pile of cheaply made crap? Be my guest. It's your time to waste.

I remember so many shows getting rebooted and it turned out fine.
    Calling BS here. Most reboots don't work out fine. Heck, most sequels don't even pan out well. This is especially true if they land on Cartoon Network.

Also they have market research, and a lot of data to go into to see who likes their shows. We have like no data to see who watches what.
    Ratings are well known, including what demographics are watching what. Cartoon Network is also well known for doing extremely bizarre scheduling on shows that are popular in the teen demographic on their channel. It's been pretty blatant that they prefer cheaply made shows to anything else for decades now.

Hey, it works for them and is a solid business plan, much like how the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers doesn't bother to put out a competitive team most years in the NBA. He makes money by spending as little money as possible. Cartoon Network does the same. I personally hate it when a show I know is going to be great ends up on Cartoon Network, because I know they will find a way to torpedo the ratings to maintain their bottom line.

You can decide what to like or not, that is no problem. But wishing people lose their jobs is an issue and this stems from the problems of Geekdom. The entitlement, the poor terms (a user before compared to something really poor), vitriol and death threats (not here) for something as trivial as a cartoon.

I get that you have problems with CN and they have done a lot of things that made people unhappy like cancelling shows, or moving shows around. But it is just a cartoon for people that aren't our demographic that enjoy these shows per rich data that TV stations have (Having worked in TV, the data the channels have are amazing).

You can not be interested in the show and you can comment on the art style and how it doesn't suit what you like but a lot of things that people have said are out of line and that comes from so much entitlement. (Not blaming you at all)

Death threats over Thundercats? This timeline truly sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Like I said he got death threats from what he said. That's awful. I don't care how bad the show is that's a awful thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And it just got worse. Guy making the show HATED thundercats and never liked it. Why would someone who hated a show be put in charge of rebooting that show?

https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/stat...44040491974656

The comments are nasty. (it's worse as he is just as nasty as the ones who are angry at him.) Also what dummy made death threats? Don't do that guys. I don't care how bad a movie, show or comic is.
    But you yourself were so much in a blind rage that you blamed a guy who isn't working on the show for being the showrunner, when it's very clear that he's not. You, too, jumped the gun.

BANNED

You can decide what to like or not, that is no problem. But wishing people lose their jobs is an issue and this stems from the problems of Geekdom. The entitlement, the poor terms (a user before compared to something really poor), vitriol and death threats (not here) for something as trivial as a cartoon.

I get that you have problems with CN and they have done a lot of things that made people unhappy like cancelling shows, or moving shows around. But it is just a cartoon for people that aren't our demographic that enjoy these shows per rich data that TV stations have (Having worked in TV, the data the channels have are amazing).

You can not be interested in the show and you can comment on the art style and how it doesn't suit what you like but a lot of things that people have said are out of line and that comes from so much entitlement. (Not blaming you at all)
    There is a difference between being able to amass large quantities of data and actually being able to gleam any meaning from that data. This is the unfortunate reality facing American TV networks today; they collect an astonishing amount of trivial data but are actually stupider for it. Anyone with a basic understanding of ThunderCats could've easily predicted this outrage. Yet nobody at Cartoon Network or Warner Brothers thought to put a stop to this trash, it's only now that they delist the announcement videos and realise what a terrible mistake they've made. Hiding behind demographic charts is the excuse of cowards who can't take responsibility when they've ruined an iconic cartoon from the golden age of Western animation.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I can't believe that guy posted that tweet and didn't expect to get bullied. Talk about instrument of your own demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Yes, adults are definitely crying and it's hilarious. Yet sad. It looks awful. Why? Because the animation isn't up to your standards? Let kids enjoy things. Point goddamn blank. Not every cartoon is gonna tackle complex issues or be deep and philosophical. Get over yourselves.
    Criticism isn't "crying". Learn to tell the difference.

Astonishing Member

As mentioned, Cartoon Network's ratings have been in freefall for awhile. (Not that they were ever amazing to begin with).

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...ll-158139.html

I can see why they would be hesitant to take risks--and they are cheap for a reason. It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario.

I was really hoping that Netflix would get a hold of Thundercats.

Mighty Member

even if the head of CN lost their job - it's not like they couldn't get another one. there are lots of mediocre (or even terrible) managers who can keep getting work because of their networking skills and public recognition.

and it's usually even worse for sports fans: I hear people griping about athletes and coaches who should lose their jobs almost every week. of course, sports teams have a LOT more money and cultural respectability than cartoons (or even television)

it's not always merely "entitlement"... LOL, sometimes it's worse than that. anybody who has a sense of ownership over a property or franchise will act this way.

death threats, though? that's just taking it too far.

nah, sometimes you can just feel that a director is a bad fit for a character (hint: Zach Snyder and Superman) and want them off the project. I mean, if Michael Bay is ACTUALLY making a Dora the Explorer film then... yeah, he's a terrible fit for that character. might as well ask Paul Schrader or Darren Aronofsky to make a live-action Blues Clues movie.

it DOES look kinda ugly - hopefully it will have a solid writing team and voice actors to sell the material. I remember Thundercats being a pretty horrible cartoon, though. (just like G1 Transformers and G.I. Joe... these were NOT good television shows. that's part of why Duck Tales was such a big deal when it first came out... it was the first cartoon in ages that wasn't designed to sell toys and was actually pretty good. oops, I'm rambling there)

The first step is to stop pretending Thundercats was some amazing cartoon. It wasn't.

The second step is to stop acting like if the original cartoon came out today you'd be watching it and marveling at its quality. You wouldn't.

The third step is to stop acting like Thundercats is some sacred ground. It isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    As mentioned, Cartoon Network's ratings have been in freefall for awhile. (Not that they were ever amazing to begin with).

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...ll-158139.html

I can see why they would be hesitant to take risks--and they are cheap for a reason. It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario.
    Yup. The new generation is one that doesn't watch broadcast: they stream. We've got tons of original animation coming to Netflix and Amazon and that's the CN and Nick for the new generation of kids.

... but folks who decry that there's no serious action/adventure cartoons and TV: what about Voltron, Trollhunters, and the revived Young Justice? Streaming is a much better home for these types of things because you can easily watch them in order at your leisure to enjoy the continuing storylines. Evolve or die, after all.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The first step is to stop pretending Thundercats was some amazing cartoon. It wasn't.

The second step is to stop acting like if the original cartoon came out today you'd be watching it and marveling at its quality. You wouldn't.

The third step is to stop acting like Thundercats is some sacred ground. It isn't.
    Typical Joker hating things that other people like.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I was really hoping that Netflix would get a hold of Thundercats.
    They got He-Man, She-Ra, Inspector Gadget, Voltron, and are vying for Ghostbusters.

IG is okay ... my son likes it.

Voltron's been awesome. We all watch it together.

She-Ra looks amazing!

Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-21-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

But you yourself were so much in a blind rage that you blamed a guy who isn't working on the show for being the showrunner, when it's very clear that he's not. You, too, jumped the gun.
    Wasn't mad just confused. No blind rage at all over him. I posted the link others were posting as well but didn't yell "get him!" over the show. I'm sorry I posted the link now (I got it from another forum in fact.) but I never hated the guy just was confused why they would pick him. And yes I jumped the gun.

Funny thing is the art does not bother me like others. Show like transformers animated and brave and the bold had odd art and turned out fine. You can still have a good show with odd art. The big let down to me is it's a slapstick comedy. The shows and comics have never been a slapstick comedy.

No blind rage at all just feel let down at cartoon network.