Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I mean, if Michael Bay is ACTUALLY making a Dora the Explorer film then... yeah, he's a terrible fit for that character.
    OMG, I totally want to see this now! And I loved Dora!

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Typical Joker hating things that other people like.
    Just stating the facts. I loved the show as a kid. Had ALL the toys. Even the mail away Mum-Ra figure. Doesn't change that it wasn't some high mark for animation. Batman: TAS it is not.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The first step is to stop pretending Thundercats was some amazing cartoon. It wasn't.

The second step is to stop acting like if the original cartoon came out today you'd be watching it and marveling at its quality. You wouldn't.

The third step is to stop acting like Thundercats is some sacred ground. It isn't.
    Or perhaps you could simply accept that you don't speak for everyone and that your opinions don't invalidate anyone else's opinion?

You may also consider accepting that people stating their opinions in an open forum are allowed to do so?

Why, you may even want to consider that crapping on other people's opinions happens to be firmly against the rules of an open forum.

No one on this thread is saying anything stronger than "This looks like crap and I have no intention to watch it." No one is saying other people aren't allowed to feel differently. No one is making death threats or other completely over-the-top statements. (Not here, anyway.) A company put out an advertisement for a new product and a lot of us don't like it. That's it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Well, let's never mind that nothing you said is happening in my post.

The first step is to stop pretending Thundercats was some amazing cartoon. It wasn't.

The second step is to stop acting like if the original cartoon came out today you'd be watching it and marveling at its quality. You wouldn't.

The third step is to stop acting like Thundercats is some sacred ground. It isn't.

I grew up in the 70s, so ThunderCats was on after I stopped watching cartoons. I don't have any childhood nostalgia for it, but I did buy the DVDs when they came out along with other 80s cartoons like GI Joe, He-Man, and Transformers, etc.

I know none of these cartoons are award winning caliber, but in my original post, when I said it looks awful, I was referring not only to the art style they are using, but also to what the tone seems to be -- rather than earnest action-adventure, it's another in the long line of glib, superficial offerings likely with lots of pop culture references or metacommentary that passes for good writing in Hollywood these days.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

This thread is cringe worthy. There's no problem with disliking something, but a lot of guys are just embarrassing yourselves. I like the consistency of the art style throughout CN cartoons. Fits the comedic style, also easy for kids to recognize and draw.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Just stating the facts. I loved the show as a kid. Had ALL the toys. Even the mail away Mum-Ra figure. Doesn't change that it wasn't some high mark for animation. Batman: TAS it is not.
    Your opinion doesn't equal fact, bub. Nice try.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

These reactions won't exist if this was remotely true.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

thundercats didn't have the best animation, like a lot of 80s cartoons. but we dealt with it simply because we like the stories and we like the characters.

i've been watching old eps of GI joe and they went to some dark places. same with old school transformers.

when you care about a franchise, you get defensive when it feels like it's being disrespected. which is what it feels like with here. the 2011 reboot was a great take on the original cartoon and, like a lot of action cartoons on CN, it died a early death.

if you wanna watch it, fine. but i won't. maybe i;ll watch the first ep but i'll wash my hands of it afterwards.

Mighty Member

This. This. This and This. The best comment on here, to be honest. You can definitely take liberties with something like Thundercats.
    Last edited by Raijin; 05-21-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Sweetie, you're on a site dedicated to superhero comics fandom.
    Cartoons for children and superhero comics are two completely different things. Thanks.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    This. This. This and This. The best comment on here, to be honest. You can definitely take liberties with something like Thundercats.
    On the contrary, ThunderCats is something were you need to respect the source material. Yes, the 80s cartoon was largely standalone episodes with a loose continuity but the writers still worked hard to make something of that continuity. You had multiple part episode arcs, some five episodes long, that advanced the status quo. So that the ThunderCats universe at the end of Season 4 looked vastly different to what began in the pilot episode. This is why the 2011 reboot is still praised today, it took the best of ThunderCats lore and made an epic adventure story in the vein of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'd rather have more episodes of the 2011 version then this CalArts garbage.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    On the contrary, ThunderCats is something were you need to respect the source material. Yes, the 80s cartoon was largely standalone episodes with a loose continuity but the writers still worked hard to make something of that continuity. You had multiple part episode arcs, some five episodes long, that advanced the status quo. So that the ThunderCats universe at the end of Season 4 looked vastly different to what began in the pilot episode. This is why the 2011 reboot is still praised today, it took the best of ThunderCats lore and made an epic adventure story in the vein of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'd rather have more episodes of the 2011 version then this CalArts garbage.
    a lot of good reboots do this: respecting the original cartoon while offering a new take on the characters.

i loved "G.I. joe: renegades". not only did they keep the same spirit as the classic cartoon but updated for a newer audience, taking a very "A-team" vibe to it.

if the franchise is beloved, you'd best show respect to it for the older fans or risk a backlash like this one.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Cartoon Network has become a sink hole with little to no variety. All their shows look the same, sound the same. I hate the mentality that says people shouldn't care about the quality of cartoons (because they're just cartoons). It sounds just like people who defend bad comics. Comics got better precisely because people started giving them a more critical eye. Criticism is how things improve. "It's for kids should never be an excuse for bad products." In fact kids shows should criticized because they are being targeted at the most impressionable among us. CN's product right now is a bad product. The original Thundercats was not a great show by any stretch, but it was a visually memorable and distinct one. This new series is none of that. It has that same ugly style as every other CN show. It's the prime example of how lazy CN has become with it's concept design.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 05-21-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

1) In the pantheon of 80s action cartoons you'd be hard pressed to find a list without Thundercats being somewhere near the top. What you consider to be "amazing" or not, is your opinion bro. 2) I don't channel surf because there's is rarely anything on I want to watch, but if I were flipping through channels and came across either version of TC, yes the @&#& I would stop and watch. How long? No clue. But watch, yeah, why not? Should I watch effing Adventure Time instead (never seen a single frame of that. Looks like TV acid). 3) that's just silly. It's got. Nothing to do with worship. To be honest in a vacuum, the art from this intro is rather pretty. But the second you call it "Thundercats" it's has to be compared to other iterations and I'm sorry, popular opinion says it's not measuring up. It'd be like comparing Tattooed Teenaged Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills to any season of Power Rangers... Or hell, VR Troopers (which we're still dope imo).

I say this again. It's not the consumers job to give a manufacturer "a chance". It's the manufacturers job to present their products and win over the consumer. If the manufacturer puts out a representation of said product that fails to resonate with the consumer, it's the fault of the manufacturer. Period. If your into this, then good on you. But the moment they decided to reboot an existing franchise they opened themselves up to criticism. I watched the opening, listened to the creators story, and I'm not impressed. At all. I think it looks horrible and that screaming thing at the end makes my eye twitch.

I hate it but I think kids are going to love it... Doesn't say much because they like a lot of rubbish. I think from s business standpoint, it's silly to market your product to just children, especially something that may appeal to a larger audience. But what may have worked for an older audience probably wouldn't keep the fruitfly-like attention spans of these kids today.

.. freaking people... Have and idea just how many 80s action cartoons there were? The mere fact that Thundercats is even remembered with any type of clarity shows it's lasting impression over things like Tigersharks, and Silverhawks and Bravestar and other compound word named shows that were on between 83 and 90'. Do you have any idea how many there were?? I do because I had a effing chest full of the toys lol.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-21-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.