Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    1) In the pantheon of 80s action cartoons you'd be hard pressed to find a list without Thundercats being somewhere near the top. What you consider to be "amazing" or not, is your opinion bro. 2) I don't channel surf because there's is rarely anything on I want to watch, but if I were flipping through channels and came across either version of TC, yes the @&#& I would stop and watch. How long? No clue. But watch, yeah, why not? Should I watch effing Adventure Time instead (never seen a single frame of that. Looks like TV acid). 3) that's just silly. It's got. Nothing to do with worship. To be honest in a vacuum, the art from this intro is rather pretty. But the second you call it "Thundercats" it's has to be compared to other iterations and I'm sorry, popular opinion says it's not measuring up. It'd be like comparing Tattooed Teenaged Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills to any season of Power Rangers... Or hell, VR Troopers (which we're still dope imo).

I say this again. It's not the consumers job to give a manufacturer "a chance". It's the manufacturers job to present their products and win over the consumer. If the manufacturer puts out a representation of said product that fails to resonate with the consumer, it's the fault of the manufacturer. Period. If your into this, then good on you. But the moment they decided to reboot an existing franchise they opened themselves up to criticism. I watched the opening, listened to the creators story, and I'm not impressed. At all. I think it looks horrible and that screaming thing at the end makes my eye twitch.

I hate it but I think kids are going to love it... Doesn't say much because they like a lot of rubbish. I think from s business standpoint, it's silly to market your product to just children, especially something that may appeal to a larger audience. But what may have worked for an older audience probably wouldn't keep the fruitfly-like attention spans of these kids today.

.. freaking people... Have and idea just how many 80s action cartoons there were? The mere fact that Thundercats is even remembered with any type of clarity shows it's lasting impression over things like Tigersharks, and Silverhawks and Bravestar and other compound word named shows that were on between 83 and 90'. Do you have any idea how many there were?? I do because I had a effing chest full of the toys lol.
    i still remember silverhawks, mostly due to the kickass intro. and bravestarr. also, people seem to have forgotten that bravestarr was one of the, if not the first 80s cartoon to show a child dying. yep. a kid OD'd on a drug and his best friend found him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    On the contrary, ThunderCats is something were you need to respect the source material. Yes, the 80s cartoon was largely standalone episodes with a loose continuity but the writers still worked hard to make something of that continuity. You had multiple part episode arcs, some five episodes long, that advanced the status quo. So that the ThunderCats universe at the end of Season 4 looked vastly different to what began in the pilot episode. This is why the 2011 reboot is still praised today, it took the best of ThunderCats lore and made an epic adventure story in the vein of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'd rather have more episodes of the 2011 version then this CalArts garbage.
    2011 reboot is still praised. Yet the support was non-existent. Honestly I find it incredibly stupid to get worked up about something you won't watch. My niece looks forward to this and at the end of the day, that's what truly matters. Not what bitter adults think. Signing off this post now, too toxic for me.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    a lot of good reboots do this: respecting the original cartoon while offering a new take on the characters.

i loved "G.I. joe: renegades". not only did they keep the same spirit as the classic cartoon but updated for a newer audience, taking a very "A-team" vibe to it.

if the franchise is beloved, you'd best show respect to it for the older fans or risk a backlash like this one.
    Don't forget G.I. Joe: Resolute, it was never intended as a full series but it was still amazing. A clever and respectful update to G.I Joe that actually made Cobra a threatening force to be reckoned with. My favourite scene is when you see all the missiles launch from the 'decommissioned' Cobra Island, gave me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    2011 reboot is still praised. Yet the support was non-existent. Honestly I find it incredibly stupid to get worked up about something you won't watch. My niece looks forward to this and at the end of the day, that's what truly matters. Not what bitter adults think. Signing off this post now, too toxic for me.
    There was plenty of support for the 2011 reboot. But Cartoon Network being Cartoon Network messed with the schedule repeatedly, making it extremely difficult for anyone who actually wanted to watch ThunderCats at a set time. A shame really, I look at Netflix's ongoing Voltron reboot and I wonder what might have been. Voltron is a reboot done right, respects the source material and delivers complex action adventure stories with a beautiful art style. ThunderCats deserves the same and in 2011 we almost had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is this weird Stephen Universe Adventure Time style all kids can visually tolerate these days? Do executives think traditional, pseudo-realistic styles will turn their little kid minds to goo?
    This just blows.
    Yes, the last decade or so seems to be dominated by hipster cartoons. Just not for me. I haven't watched Cartoon Network since the mid 2000's. I feel like that was the last time it was worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    this looks dope
    It looks like the creators are on dope.

As a child of the 80s--Thundercats kind of bored me? All the non-Sunbow shows (except the repurposed anime like Robotech and Voltron) had this sort of dullness to them...or maybe the Sunbow shows just had better toys. That one big panther looking playset looked cool though. (googles) Ah yes, the Cats' Lair. But Thundercats I remember thinking was sort of weightless, with corny, stilted dialogue. I cannot remember the plot of a single episode (whereas: I can remember almost every ridiculous Cobra Commander plot.) Mumm-Ra had a cool powerup, the animation was good, Snarf was annoying (like his Filmation equivalent Orko. The Sunbow shows never had these dumb comic relief characters! I mean sure, Shipwreck was comic relief, but he also fell in love with a mermaid and later was brainwashed into thinking he had married her and had kids with her but they were, in fact, Cobra clones who melted down in front of him and drove him temporarily insane. Nothing that distinctly weird ever happened on Thundercats.)

So I have no particular nostalgia for this property and my childhood is not ruined (Michael Bay already did that.) I get not liking the style, but this is what CN thinks the kids these days want.

Cartoons for children and superhero comics are two completely different things. Thanks.
    And lot of the general public believes superhero comics or superheroes in general are for children.

BANNED

Cartoons for children and superhero comics are two completely different things. Thanks.
    I"m not seeing how they are. all that different

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Don't forget G.I. Joe: Resolute, it was never intended as a full series but it was still amazing. A clever and respectful update to G.I Joe that actually made Cobra a threatening force to be reckoned with. My favourite scene is when you see all the missiles launch from the 'decommissioned' Cobra Island, gave me chills.

There was plenty of support for the 2011 reboot. But Cartoon Network being Cartoon Network messed with the schedule repeatedly, making it extremely difficult for anyone who actually wanted to watch ThunderCats at a set time. A shame really, I look at Netflix's ongoing Voltron reboot and I wonder what might have been. Voltron is a reboot done right, respects the source material and delivers complex action adventure stories with a beautiful art style. ThunderCats deserves the same and in 2011 we almost had it.
    i honestly had to watch the '11 series online due to not having cable at the time and CN being dicks about when they show it. same with young justice, green lantern, beware the batman and a few other action cartoons i liked.

Mighty Member

This is by far the most ignorant statement in the thread. There are cartoons and comics created specifically for small children, but there are also cartoons and comics that target teens and adults.

You should know this already.

Or do you actually believe that "Family Guy", "Batman: Under the Red Hood" or "Batman: The Killing Joke" is something you should be showing young children? In case it isn't obvious, don't do that!

The target audience of both of previous Thundercats shows were older boys, teens, and adults who enjoy animated shows with fantasy action. This new version is targeting little boys, 6 years and younger, and is clearly playing at the most absurd and stupidest of humor (For example: Lion-O's groan worthy line, "And this is my magic slicing stick"). It's not at all surprising that the existing fans aren't happy.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    1) In the pantheon of 80s action cartoons you'd be hard pressed to find a list without Thundercats being somewhere near the top. What you consider to be "amazing" or not, is your opinion bro. 2) I don't channel surf because there's is rarely anything on I want to watch, but if I were flipping through channels and came across either version of TC, yes the @&#& I would stop and watch. How long? No clue. But watch, yeah, why not? Should I watch effing Adventure Time instead (never seen a single frame of that. Looks like TV acid). 3) that's just silly. It's got. Nothing to do with worship. To be honest in a vacuum, the art from this intro is rather pretty. But the second you call it "Thundercats" it's has to be compared to other iterations and I'm sorry, popular opinion says it's not measuring up. It'd be like comparing Tattooed Teenaged Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills to any season of Power Rangers... Or hell, VR Troopers (which we're still dope imo).

I say this again. It's not the consumers job to give a manufacturer "a chance". It's the manufacturers job to present their products and win over the consumer. If the manufacturer puts out a representation of said product that fails to resonate with the consumer, it's the fault of the manufacturer. Period. If your into this, then good on you. But the moment they decided to reboot an existing franchise they opened themselves up to criticism. I watched the opening, listened to the creators story, and I'm not impressed. At all. I think it looks horrible and that screaming thing at the end makes my eye twitch.

I hate it but I think kids are going to love it... Doesn't say much because they like a lot of rubbish. I think from s business standpoint, it's silly to market your product to just children, especially something that may appeal to a larger audience. But what may have worked for an older audience probably wouldn't keep the fruitfly-like attention spans of these kids today.

.. freaking people... Have and idea just how many 80s action cartoons there were? The mere fact that Thundercats is even remembered with any type of clarity shows it's lasting impression over things like Tigersharks, and Silverhawks and Bravestar and other compound word named shows that were on between 83 and 90'. Do you have any idea how many there were?? I do because I had a effing chest full of the toys lol.
    There's a cult following for Silver Hawks. When the 2011 reboot was airing fans often asked the shows creators if there would be a crossover with Silver Hawks. Mon*Star made a cameo on the show.

Amazing Member

In my opinion the problem is that with the exception of DC there is an shortage of brand animation in overall, so when a series get a reboot it becomes the essential and cannonical version of that character. So a new cartoon of a property always exist for the sake of the latter one of that propperty to be cancelled. And also there is a shortage of really new action shows, all of them seems to be reboots nowadays.

I really dissliked Ultimate Spiderman but the problem to me wasn`t that i didn,t liked that version of the character but the fact that it became the official spiderman series if Marvel could have released some DTV movies with other more serious versions of Spidey i i wouldn,t have mind Ultimate Spiderman at all.

In comics you have various artist and artist doing differents intepretations of the same character at the same time but in cartoons outside DC who is the exception who tries to covers all the demographys at the time, each franchise in the rest of propperties you can get only one interpretation at each time. So if you can,t get behind that interpretation you have a just have a "wait your turn" situattion which is a bit frustratting.
    Last edited by mike2112; 05-22-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There's a cult following for Silver Hawks. When the 2011 reboot was airing fans often asked the shows creators if there would be a crossover with Silver Hawks. Mon*Star made a cameo on the show.
    ...you missed the point. But it's all good.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I have no idea why this guy was under the impression that the opinion of the adults doesn't matter since responsible adults decide/filter what their children watch anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Snarf was annoying (like his Filmation equivalent Orko. The Sunbow shows never had these dumb comic relief characters!
    What about Wheelie and Wreck-Gar?
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me