Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Spidergeddon!

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    You know I always ask this question but apparently to me its seems like the X-Men can only work when they are persecuted which is unfortunate to say. I never see them written without it and its like the main reason why Magneto exist. And despite living in the same world as the avengers and fanstatic four or Spiderman they will continue to get hate on in a world filled with super beings make no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    nah unfortunately it does make sense. even irl today, we still pick and choose which groups we hate or accept on stupid illogical basis
    Fair enough. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is the reaction, or lack thereof, from non-mutant heroes who've interacted with the X-Men well enough to know that the X-Men are heroes just like them every time the in-universe U.S. government tries to repress mutants. You'd think they'd stand up for their friends/allies who happen to be mutants, but the attitude on their part seems to be, "We'll let you handle this yourselves. It's not our business." Not exactly helpful when mutants are repeatedly faced with what amounts to genocide by the very government most of the major non-mutant heroes recurrently work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hmm, looks interesting so far. Sym Engine . . . "Addy Brock" . . . are we going to be seeing this universe's version of Venom?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    One of my least favorite superhero tropes, especially given that in the case of the X-Men (and mutants in general), non-mutant heroes interceding or intervening on their behalf, at least as character witnesses, could have ameliorated much of the unjustified hate the X-Men got. Would the U.S. government be as emboldened to enact borderline-genocidal and fascistic "security measures" against mutants if they knew the Avengers and/or the Fantastic Four would sever working ties with them out of solidarity with the X-Men, especially with events like Civil War showing that those measures could be easily turned upon all superhumans, not just mutants?
    Yeah, it's a narrative trope that is totally unrealistic, but forced onto the story because of how only certain characters are written into the story. That and certain narrative tropes with the Xmen in general are unrealistic. First is the general public disdain for them despite it being generally unwarranted. Second is how non-mutants never seem to care about any of it. One fan-fic I had started working on long ago played off this trope by having the villain(Monica Rappaccini) create a virus that DIDN'T turn people into Mutants or Inhumans, but gave them some sort of powers anyways. The plan? To foil the government's efforts to track the locations of superhumans by creating so many low-powered supers that the end result would be like static on their scanners. Also, as an added layer of "up yours" to SHIELD, the MRD and whoever else, there was more than one virus. Monica made one, but also had two assistants make their own versions. So that gave three distinctly different forms of static just to add an extra layer of annoyance to the situation.

Yeah, most of the people the viruses infected barely had any powers at all. Like "immune to the common cold" or "I can telekinetically lift 5 pounds" level powers. The viruses were made to create randomized effects(it's not effective static if it's uniform), and varying power levels, so some people ended up with useful powers. And to make the randomization more effective, Monica talked Exodus into helping her acquire copies of Mr. Sinister's research data.

Yeah, I dipped pretty deep into ways to make the lives of SHIELD and the Mutant haters miserable. As for WHY Monica did it, well, if you used certain catalysts, you could force certain powers to emerge when a person was exposed to the virus. Although, not with 100% accuracy. And Monica used it to make herself physically powerful enough to fight people like the Hulk. But realized that it made it so SHIELD could track her, so... time to make SHIELD's monitoring efforts... unreliable.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 08-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, it's a narrative trope that is totally unrealistic, but forced onto the story because of how only certain characters are written into the story. That and certain narrative tropes with the Xmen in general are unrealistic. First is the general public disdain for them despite it being generally unwarranted. Second is how non-mutants never seem to care about any of it. One fan-fic I had started working on long ago played off this trope by having the villain(Monica Rappaccini) create a virus that DIDN'T turn people into Mutants or Inhumans, but gave them some sort of powers anyways. The plan? To foil the government's efforts to track the locations of superhumans by creating so many low-powered supers that the end result would be like static on their scanners. Also, as an added layer of "up yours" to SHIELD, the MRD and whoever else, there was more than one virus. Monica made one, but also had two assistants make their own versions. So that gave three distinctly different forms of static just to add an extra layer of annoyance to the situation.

Yeah, most of the people the viruses infected barely had any powers at all. Like "immune to the common cold" or "I can telekinetically lift 5 pounds" level powers. The viruses were made to create randomized effects(it's not effective static if it's uniform), and varying power levels, so some people ended up with useful powers. And to make the randomization more effective, Monica talked Exodus into helping her acquire copies of Mr. Sinister's research data.

Yeah, I dipped pretty deep into ways to make the lives of SHIELD and the Mutant haters miserable. As for WHY Monica did it, well, if you used certain catalysts, you could force certain powers to emerge when a person was exposed to the virus. Although, not with 100% accuracy. And Monica used it to make herself physically powerful enough to fight people like the Hulk. But realized that it made it so SHIELD could track her, so... time to make SHIELD's monitoring efforts... unreliable.
    I like that idea a lot. It's actually quite clever and innovative. If I remember right, Reed Richards figured out a way to give people low-grade superpowers (mainly a navigational sense of some kind) that he used to inoculate ordinary citizens of New York against the virus turning everyone in the city into mutant spider-hybrids back in Spider-Island, so there is precedent.

Astonishing Member

I just though about something. Spider-Man has not been the only one who fought Morlun in the main reality. During the time Shuri took the place of his brother, Morlun attacked Wakanda to devour the Black Panther; and he even devoured Man-Ape first. So, don't you think Black Panther should appear to help Spider-Man at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I just though about something. Spider-Man has not been the only one who fought Morlun in the main reality. During the time Shuri took the place of his brother, Morlun attacked Wakanda to devour the Black Panther; and he even devoured Man-Ape first. So, don't you think Black Panther should appear to help Spider-Man at some point?
    I feel like T'Challa would only get himself involved if Morlun went after him again or Wakanda would be in danger in some way. Considering the Inheritors only want the Spiders and don't want to take over the universe, he probably wouldn't consider it his problem to help unless asked, and I don't think Spidey knows they have encountered each other before.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I feel like T'Challa would only get himself involved if Morlun went after him again or Wakanda would be in danger in some way. Considering the Inheritors only want the Spiders and don't want to take over the universe, he probably wouldn't consider it his problem to help unless asked, and I don't think Spidey knows they have encountered each other before.
    Well the Inheritors don't only go after Spider Totems. Though they seem to favor those.

Just read the issue. It did not have a enjoyable protagonist.

spoilers:
    She shown only a aloof selfish nature that I know many times Peter has showcased in the past (and not the worrying for best for your sake selfless Spider-man hero type but moody self centered kind and for everything he did that he just made things worse or worry others). Her need to feel special and selfish was annoying. If she was more open, gave advice, and who knows might of been able to save Anny. But she just complained every single time.

I do wonder if that is the lesson and important to the upcoming event. She will be one of many Spiders but must do her duty to the best of her ability or she and others could be in danger. The feeling the need to be 'special' is a feeling of selfishness while a true hero is selfless.
    Many times the needs of feeling special have caused disaster. Earth-65 Peter wanted to be special and in the end died. Ock we know is self centered and we seen how that plays out. This case her self needs and cockyness got Anny and May killed. If she just talked to Anny and gave advice like Anny wanted maybe that could of altered things.
    end of spoilers

I also wonder as we expect 616 Peter to be the 'big special hero amoung the spiders and leader' but maybe in the end the Spider-man that wears a sack for a mask becomes the big hero in the end. That 616 Peter is really just one hero amoung heroes but as long as you try your best for others and accept help and give help when you can that is enough. That is true heroism.
    Last edited by AngelJD; 08-29-2018 at 01:35 PM.

What concerns me about this issue is that it basically ripped off Evangelion some more, and not the "cool" parts of it, but the really messed-up, traumatic parts, specifically Shinji Ikari's backstory and Uncle Ben channeling Gendo Ikari, at least visually.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Just read the issue. It did not have a enjoyable protagonist.

spoilers:
    She shown only a aloof selfish nature that I know many times Peter has showcased in the past (and not the worrying for best for your sake selfless Spider-man hero type but moody self centered kind and for everything he did that he just made things worse or worry others). Her need to feel special and selfish was annoying. If she was more open, gave advice, and who knows might of been able to save Anny. But she just complained every single time.

I do wonder if that is the lesson and important to the upcoming event. She will be one of many Spiders but must do her duty to the best of her ability or she and others could be in danger. The feeling the need to be 'special' is a feeling of selfishness while a true hero is selfless.
    Many times the needs of feeling special have caused disaster. Earth-65 Peter wanted to be special and in the end died. Ock we know is self centered and we seen how that plays out. This case her self needs and cockyness got Anny and May killed. If she just talked to Anny and gave advice like Anny wanted maybe that could of altered things.
    end of spoilers

I also wonder as we expect 616 Peter to be the 'big special hero amoung the spiders and leader' but maybe in the end the Spider-man that wears a sack for a mask becomes the big hero in the end. That 616 Peter is really just one hero amoung heroes but as long as you try your best for others and accept help and give help when you can that is enough. That is true heroism.
    It's Addy, not Anny.

Maybe this will teach her the great power and great responsibility lesson? spoilers:
    616 Peter lost Ben, Spider-Gwen lost Peter, for Peni, it's Aunt May.
    end of spoilers
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's Addy, not Anny.

Maybe this will teach her the great power and great responsibility lesson? spoilers:
    616 Peter lost Ben, Spider-Gwen lost Peter, for Peni, it's Aunt May.
    end of spoilers
    Sadly, it seems to have the legacy of the spider always dooms you to a tragedy to teach a very hard lesson. And if you don't learn it, you can get something "unworthy" of the spider; like the "Amazing Spider", who ended up twisted because his Uncle Ben survived and ended up corrupted.

As long as Spider-Ham shows up, I'm good to go.

He already has. He came to pick up Peni at the end of her issue this week.

BANNED

Interconnecting cover

STILL using the wrong Annie.

Can anyone identify all the spiders?

I see Spider-UK, Spider-Bitch, Spider-Ham, Miles Morales, Tsum Tsum, Ben Reilly, Silk, PS4, Kaine, Aaron Davis (Iron Spider), Spider-Gwen, Lady Spider, SP//dr, Anya, Superior, Mayday, Spider-Punk, Noir, and Jessica Drew. Is the main character on cover 2 meant to be 616 Peter?