Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Spidergeddon!

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    My guess is this event will be used to relaunch some of the ancillary Spiders - maybe a Spider-Women book, give Miles a new status quo, move Spider-Gwen to 616, etc. Obviously, there isn't too much else to read into it from that teaser, but if it's coming in the fall, we'll see the first hints of it in August's solicits next month.
    That usually seems to be the go-to reason for Spider-Events these days: "launch new books."

Not that I don't understand, but that usually doesn't end well for Peter.

My guess is this event will be used to relaunch some of the ancillary Spiders - maybe a Spider-Women book, give Miles a new status quo, move Spider-Gwen to 616, etc. Obviously, there isn't too much else to read into it from that teaser, but if it's coming in the fall, we'll see the first hints of it in August's solicits next month.
    August solicits are this Tuesday. You mean September's?

I agree though, this is probably why we've had no word on new books for Miles and Gwen.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm feeling reaffirmed that not reading modern ASM was a wise decision.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    August solicits are this Tuesday. You mean September's?

I agree though, this is probably why we've had no word on new books for Miles and Gwen.
    I meant "August's solicits next week" and brainfarted. I'm betting we'll have a "Prelude to SpiderGeddon" mention in ASM's solicit text

That tittle sounds kind of silly.

As for the announcement itself...meh, neither Spider-Island or Spider-Verse were my thing and i abandoned the book half way into Clone Conspiracy, so i will just way until the storm is over.

no more clones. No more symbiotes.

I meant "August's solicits next week" and brainfarted. I'm betting we'll have a "Prelude to SpiderGeddon" mention in ASM's solicit text
    Isn't the next ASM #1 a double-sized issue with backups (as per usual)?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tease to it in there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Ugh, another big spider crossover event already??
    Comic readers really have to come to terms with the fact that modern comics are in a perpetual event cycle and stop being surprised every time another event is announced.

This is just reality, especially when it comes to flagship titles like Spider-Man, Avengers, or Batman and so on.

Once upon a time, you could frequently have issues that were about nothing much in particular and not leading anyplace special.

An issue could begin with Spidey or Batman swinging around their respective cities on patrol, see Stegron or Penquin lurking around, they'd intervene and an adventure would ensure that would wrap up by issue's end and leave no vital thread to be resolved later.

Occasionally you'd get a two or three parter or sometimes there'd be a ongoing subplot but generally speaking, comics were made for a newsstand audience and told simpler, self-contained stories.

That's not where we are now. There has to be a bigger engine driving these books and always greater hooks to sustain interest.

As for what Spidergeddon might be, I've got no guesses yet but I can say that I'm intrigued to find out.

Mainly I'm excited that Spencer is going to be getting into something big early in his run (I imagine that this is primarily a ASM thing) and I'm curious as to what kind of Spider-Event he has lined up.

Given that so many Spider-verse titles are either already cancelled or likely about to be, I'm guessing this is going to lead to an influx of new titles and we'll start to see the Spencer-era of Spidey start to really take shape.

So Spider Armageddon?

Astonishing Member

Looking forward to know more info about this.
    The events in the Spider-Man comics have been nothing less that great,especially Spider Island and Spider Verse,so of course i am looking forward to this.

So Spider-Verse: The Culling?

Yikes.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Incredible Member

From past spider events this is what I’ve gathered. It’s an event that won’t really have life changing consequences for Peter once everything is all said and done but will have minor effects, but will be used to showcase a specific character or 2 and be used to launch their new solos or team book

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Comic readers really have to come to terms with the fact that modern comics are in a perpetual event cycle and stop being surprised every time another event is announced.

This is just reality, especially when it comes to flagship titles like Spider-Man, Avengers, or Batman and so on.

Once upon a time, you could frequently have issues that were about nothing much in particular and not leading anyplace special.

An issue could begin with Spidey or Batman swinging around their respective cities on patrol, see Stegron or Penquin lurking around, they'd intervene and an adventure would ensure that would wrap up by issue's end and leave no vital thread to be resolved later.

Occasionally you'd get a two or three parter or sometimes there'd be a ongoing subplot but generally speaking, comics were made for a newsstand audience and told simpler, self-contained stories.

That's not where we are now. There has to be a bigger engine driving these books and always greater hooks to sustain interest.

As for what Spidergeddon might be, I've got no guesses yet but I can say that I'm intrigued to find out.

Mainly I'm excited that Spencer is going to be getting into something big early in his run (I imagine that this is primarily a ASM thing) and I'm curious as to what kind of Spider-Event he has lined up.

Given that so many Spider-verse titles are either already cancelled or likely about to be, I'm guessing this is going to lead to an influx of new titles and we'll start to see the Spencer-era of Spidey start to really take shape.
    Yeah, the spider line is down to the bare bones. All that's left now are ASM, Spec, RYV, Scarlet Spider, and Venom, plus a digital exclusive Spidey series that starts next month. And RYV and SS are both selling dangerously low numbers in the direct market. Miles and Gwen are both done or about to be with no news of replacement books. I'd say Spidergeddon will result in a linewide relaunch with only ASM and Venom (which may not even take part, they kept Venom out of Spider-Verse) continuing it's current volume.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the spider line is down to the bare bones. All that's left now are ASM, Spec, RYV, Scarlet Spider, and Venom, plus a digital exclusive Spidey series that starts next month. And RYV and SS are both selling dangerously low numbers in the direct market. Miles and Gwen are both done or about to be with no news of replacement books. I'd say Spidergeddon will result in a linewide relaunch with only ASM and Venom (which may not even take part, they kept Venom out of Spider-Verse) continuing it's current volume.
    I'd say Spectacular will also continue its current volume. But who knows?

Speaking of Spectacular, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Spencer and D'Zarsky bounce off each other as the two main Spidey writers. I feel like their sensibilities would make for an excellent Amazing/Spectacular crossover at some point. In fact, I'd be shocked if one wasn't already in the works.

The title sounds like it will be spidey's version of that hulk story where they got rid of all the hulks. I hope not. I was really looking forward to spider-verse till they killed off the 90's cartoon spidey and amazing friends spidey for worthless shock value then started killing off others as well. I dumped the story fast. I wanted to see the spiders in a cool crossover not a bloodbath killing spree. If this is the same count me out.