end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The recap page of Spider-Girls#1 contains a spoiler for Spidergeddon#2

spoilers:
    Ock's lab is destroyed in an explosion
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    So much for Otto's plan to make himself immune to death.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

While I'm happy to see the return of SpOCK, one of my favorite Peter replacements, I'm worried that Spiderggeddon is going to become a testing ground for the annual "Let's try and boot Peter Parker out of the main Spider-Man role" meeting that Marvel has been having for the last 15 years. Miles, Gwen, SpOCK; all have been front runners to take over Amazing Spider-Man since the Ultimate line ended and Spider-Gwen (Never calling her Ghost Spider, that's a shitty name) became popular.

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    While I'm happy to see the return of SpOCK, one of my favorite Peter replacements, I'm worried that Spiderggeddon is going to become a testing ground for the annual "Let's try and boot Peter Parker out of the main Spider-Man role" meeting that Marvel has been having for the last 15 years. Miles, Gwen, SpOCK; all have been front runners to take over Amazing Spider-Man since the Ultimate line ended and Spider-Gwen (Never calling her Ghost Spider, that's a shitty name) became popular.
    I don't think you have to worry about that, Peter will ALWAYS be the main Spider-Man role. He's their number 1 seller, they don't wanna get rid of him.
    Someone like Spider-Gwen isn't there to replace Peter, but instead as an addition/alternative for the "Spider" brand. And I like that, her, Miles, Otto, everyone else I feel bring something new and enjoyable to the table that make them good in their own rights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    You don't have to worry about this, ever. Marvel has never and will never give Peter the boot - not in any way that is planned to be permanent.

Peter Parker is Spider-Man. If for nothing else but the value of the IP, that will never change. Will Marvel continue to try and expand the Spider-verse and develop other revenue sources from it? Of course. But Peter will always be the core element that everything else springs from.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Peter Parker is Spider-Man. If for nothing else but the value of the IP, that will never change. Will Marvel continue to try and expand the Spider-verse and develop other revenue sources from it? Of course. But Peter will always be the core element that everything else springs from.
    Well, "core" in that ASM is usually where most spinoffs end up leading off from, but Peter's relevancy (and vice-versa) sometimes doesn't go much beyond that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, "core" in that ASM is usually where most spinoffs end up leading off from, but Peter's relevancy (and vice-versa) sometimes doesn't go much beyond that.
    Peter shouldn't be too deeply involved in everything that springs out of the Spider-Man universe.

That's the whole point of spin-offs, that you can have something that goes off and does its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Peter shouldn't be too deeply involved in everything that springs out of the Spider-Man universe.

That's the whole point of spin-offs, that you can have something that goes off and does its own thing.
    Yeah Pete was an important part of the MC2 Spider-girl stories, but he wasn't the main focus. The focus was on May.

A spin-off needs a connection to the original, but it's got to do it's own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah Pete was an important part of the MC2 Spider-girl stories, but he wasn't the main focus. The focus was on May.

A spin-off needs a connection to the original, but it's got to do it's own thing.
    And I think that's a distinction.

In Spider-Girl Peter and his legacy as Spider-Man were still important parts of the story even if it didn't overshadow Mayday, while now we have multiple Spider-Man spinoffs that very rarely, if ever, really acknowledge Peter that much.

But I guess probably the biggest difference is that in Spider-Girl Peter was her dad, so it would be kind of hard not to acknowledge him .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I guess probably the biggest difference is that in Spider-Girl Peter was her dad, so it would be kind of hard not to acknowledge him .
    Yeah, and that's ultimately the big distinction. Miles, Cindy, Miguel, Anya, Otto, etc. are their own people with their only connection to Peter being their Spider powers, so he doesn't have to play a big role in their stories. Mayday is his daughter, so it would be weird if he wasn't important in some way. Even with Gwen, her Peter is dead, so its another excuse why he wouldn't be involved.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

I’m loving this series so far! The art is wicked! The way they brought back the Inheritors is interesting and flows naturally from previous stories like Clone Conspiracy and Ock’s character arc.

I love a good clone story or alternate universe story and these Spiderverse stories have both!!

I also like that the main characters are Otto and Miles. I love me some Superior stories. He’s so wonderfully arrogant but is actually superior in that he’s willing to do things differently and learn from his mistakes. Come to think of it, we don’t have a single Peter in the mix so far except for Spider-Ham.

I can’t wait to see where this will go and I have my fingers crossed for Ben Reilly redemption. (It’s a long shot, I know)

ALSO, wouldn’t it be cool if Miles ended up with a clone by the end of this?! He’ll grab himself a hoodie and call himself the Obsidian Spider! YES!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    spoilers:
    So much for Otto's plan to make himself immune to death.
    end of spoilers
    Perhaps not, the Inheritors are now on the move to New U for the cloning equipment developed by Miles and Ben

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Perhaps not, the Inheritors are now on the move to New U for the cloning equipment developed by Miles and Ben
    And "perfected" by Otto using what he remembered of the design schematics behind the Inheritors' cloning tech.

spoilers:
    Anyone got a bad feeling about what might happen to Ben an issue or two down the line? Yeah, time heals all wounds, but Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #25 still stings.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And "perfected" by Otto using what he remembered of the design schematics behind the Inheritors' cloning tech.

spoilers:
    Anyone got a bad feeling about what might happen to Ben an issue or two down the line? Yeah, time heals all wounds, but Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #25 still stings.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    That scene between SpOck and Kaine was a continuity headache especially considering Kaine was still in Vegas and acted like he and Ben were on still good terms, even suggesting they call him in as well. Hell even Ben didn’t seem crazy like he was at the end of issue 25 of Scarlet Spider. I mean if we’re ignoring that issue and treating it as a fever dream, I’m all for it but this was just plain confusing.
    end of spoilers