Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Spidergeddon!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    If anything a Spiderverse sequel needs, its more focus than the "original". Nobody cares about how much screen time Silk or Spider-man Noir gets if the guy who knows how to stop this whole thing right now isn't doing it. Either don't include them, or write it off. Don't just not mention it and make your main character look inept.
    And don't include Peter if he's ultimately not going to be that focal or important a character in the actual story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Oh, yes, indeed. I enjoyed SP//dr, too. As for a plot that doesn't include Morlun and the Inheritors . . . could go with ripping off The One starring Jet Li, where it's a rogue Spider who's trying to kill off all the other Spiders so that s/he can take the energy from their connections to the totemic power of the spider and make him- or herself strong enough to become a new god or some maniacal s*** like that.
    Isn't that basically what the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon did with Wolf-Spider ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Cons..
    The build-up on Spencer's side seems a bit limited.
    It might make it tougher for Nick Spencer to make his mark on the series if his first big arc is a sequel to one of Slott's.
    For all we know Spencer has nothing to do with Spidergeddon, otherwise I think we would've seen teases to it in the ASM solicits when they're already doing a lead-up mini.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's another "event" mini, though it would be weird to do a Spider-Man event without ASM being a part of it (especially since then it would probably sell better).

This could be interesting. I go nuts for multiversal adventures. I only ask for the total absence of evil Spider-men as antagonists and for a real focus on Peter, than was the bigger flaw in the first Spider-verse.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-22-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, I feel like the limited buildup wouldn't be a problem for Spencer, as this wouldn't be the first time he immediately jumped into an event story for his book. Remember, the second arc of his Captain America was Avengers Standoff, and that story turned out pretty well.
    Wasn't Standoff his story in general? It wasn't the sequel to another story by another writer as this one seems to be.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This could be interesting. I go nuts for multiversal adventures. I only ask for the total absence of evil Spider-men as antagonists and for a real focus on Peter, than was the bigger flaw in the first Spider-verse.
    It should be easier, now that we all know the concept, to just jump into whatever this story is. Presuming they use mostly somewhat-well-known spiders (as suggested by Sp//dr and Spider-punk getting one-shots), we'll need less meet-and-greet and can just introduce the threat(s) and move into the action. I'm not sure an event like this will focus primarily on Peter (rumors of Gwen moving to 616 abound; Miles is getting a new book; Jessica, Cindy, and the Web Warriors have been sidelined for awhile), but I'd hope you're right that the antagonists won't be Inheritors or evil Spider-men. I hope we get a multiversal team-up of hundreds of Spider-enemies - the Sinister Six One Six

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Wasn't Standoff his story in general? It wasn't the sequel to another story by another writer as this one seems to be.
    Yeah it was his story, I was just referring to the question regarding the event placement, not the sequel question. I feel the event happening so soon isn't a problem, as the book almost certainly planned for it and wasn't a last minute change, while as long as they got their own unique take on the story, it also being a sequel could work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, I feel like the limited buildup wouldn't be a problem for Spencer, as this wouldn't be the first time he immediately jumped into an event story for his book. Remember, the second arc of his Captain America was Avengers Standoff, and that story turned out pretty well.
    We don't even know this is Spencer's. Could Zdarsky be involved? His Spectacular storyline already involves alternate realities!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    We don't even know this is Spencer's. Could Zdarsky be involved? His Spectacular storyline already involves alternate realities!
    We do not know the creative team at all, no. There is a mysterious new "Peter Parker" in Spencer's August ASM issues. It's certainly possible he's either the antagonist or MacGuffin of Spidergeddon (or his appearance is a symptom of some sort of multiversal breakdown the spiders have to fix).

It's pretty rare for a spider event to spin out of a non-ASM title (granted, for the last 10 years, there basically hasn't been a non-ASM title to launch it, so . . .). My guess is it's either Spencer or Spencer co-writing with Zdarsky and/or someone else launching a spider-title.

Yeah, I was speculating under the impression that it would be Spencer, just based on the impression that it would seem most obvious he would do it. However, like what has been happening with stuff like Phoenix Resurrection, Death Of The Inhumans, Extermination, etc., they have been releasing these big limited series written by different people, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was by someone else.

Also, now that you mention it, I think it would be really cool if Spider-geddon ended up being a crossover of sorts between Amazing and Spectacular, just like what used to happen all the time with all the other satellite Spider-Man books. Again, we have no idea who will be involved or what will go on, but using what we know, I think its fun to think of all the many different possibilities.

I think one safe guess now we know it's basically Spider-Verse II, is that Spider-Gwen volume 3 will spin out of it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I like stories that revolve around the multiverse. So I'm sure I'll check it out. What I would like to see at the end of this is a new title featuring Peter,Ben, and Kain, with a young may-day parker. Three Spiders and a baby. It would be an action comedy. J.John could pop in once in a while and be the angry uncle J. with a secret heart of gold. Aunt May would be.......well aunt May. Spider-Gwen could babysit for the guys on date night. Oh what fun this could be.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I loved Spider-Verse and wanted some form of continuation however I'm skeptical.

1. Marvel's been making sequels to events a lot lately.
    2. Probably just a me thing but I feel like we need to wait longer before a sequel.

That being said I'll check it out to see these wonderful characters again. Maybe we'll get another issue of a spider book that was cancelled like with Superior 32?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    It should be easier, now that we all know the concept, to just jump into whatever this story is. Presuming they use mostly somewhat-well-known spiders (as suggested by Sp//dr and Spider-punk getting one-shots), we'll need less meet-and-greet and can just introduce the threat(s) and move into the action. I'm not sure an event like this will focus primarily on Peter (rumors of Gwen moving to 616 abound; Miles is getting a new book; Jessica, Cindy, and the Web Warriors have been sidelined for awhile), but I'd hope you're right that the antagonists won't be Inheritors or evil Spider-men. I hope we get a multiversal team-up of hundreds of Spider-enemies - the Sinister Six One Six
    Sounds like the Spider-Man Unlimited mobile game where the initial enemies were a multiversal Sinister Six. Maybe Sinister 666 would be a good name for them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Sounds like the Spider-Man Unlimited mobile game where the initial enemies were a multiversal Sinister Six.
    Random idea.

What if the villains of this are alternate reality Sinister Six members, BUT they are each their realities "Spider-man"? Kraven did some mystical spider-totem things and got powers. Norman got bit by a radioactive Spider. Otto was in an accident that fused metal limbs to his body and became Dr. Spider ... tc etc.

I think one safe guess now we know it's basically Spider-Verse II, is that Spider-Gwen volume 3 will spin out of it.
    I still say a Web Warriors title co-starring Miles and Gwen would sell like hotcakes. Give them a team of unique spider-people like Sp//dr and Spider-Punk - who I'm glad to see are being brought back - and I could see it becoming the kind of strong ancillary spider-title that Marvel seems to have a hard job finding and sustaining.

-Pav, who would prefer Ben and Kaine stay in the 616...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Random idea.

What if the villains of this are alternate reality Sinister Six members, BUT they are each their realities "Spider-man"? Kraven did some mystical spider-totem things and got powers. Norman got bit by a radioactive Spider. Otto was in an accident that fused metal limbs to his body and became Dr. Spider ... tc etc.
    That sounds like the inverse of Dark Nights: Metal over at DC, where instead of alternate versions of Batman that hijacked a Justice Leaguer's powers and then wreaked havoc with them, it's Spider-Man's villains who fused his motif with theirs. Would we also get metal-related revelations about the true nature of the Marvel Multiverse and the Web of Life and Destiny that binds all Spider-Men and Women (and Girls)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I still say a Web Warriors title co-starring Miles and Gwen would sell like hotcakes. Give them a team of unique spider-people like Sp//dr and Spider-Punk - who I'm glad to see are being brought back - and I could see it becoming the kind of strong ancillary spider-title that Marvel seems to have a hard job finding and sustaining.

-Pav, who would prefer Ben and Kaine stay in the 616...
    Hmm, that would be a good idea.
    The spider is always on the hunt.