Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should Disney get rid of the prequels?

Today I read an article about Hayden Christensen and how the prequels may have ruined his career or at least put it in limbo. It also made reference to the other actors in the films and how they had made it out relatively unscathed. And it occurred to me that I had actually forgotten that Samuel L. Jackson was in these movies! That's how much I had blocked them out of my mind! Disney, for the most part, has largely ignored these movies but haven't really taken a position on them one way or another. And with the Fox deal going through, they could decide to just junk them altogether. They've already thrown out the other extended universe stuff. So should they keep these?
    Assassinate Putin!

Keep them. They're not without many, many flaws, but they're part of Lucas's vision just like the OT. Disappointing he'd lost a lot of his skills before he got around to completing the vision? Sure. But I don't want to start a head-canon or redo precedent with these movies. The books are one thing but all the movies count and should always count. Besides there's too much canon material based on them anyway. The animated projects have not been relegated to Legends status, and the sequels actually do contain some references.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Keep them. They're not without many, many flaws, but they're part of Lucas's vision just like the OT. Disappointing he'd lost a lot of his skills before he got around to completing the vision? Sure. But I don't want to start a head-canon or redo precedent with these movies. The books are one thing but all the movies count and should always count. Besides there's too much canon material based on them anyway. The animated projects have not been relegated to Legends status, and the sequels actually do contain some references.
    Agree with all of this and also I don't know if Lucas lost his skills or more likely lost people willing to tell him no his ex-wife played a big part in making A New Hope the film we all loved. I personally believe on his skills as a director alone American Graffiti is his best film.

iMan 42s

Disney is already committed to them, that's why. Disney had used a ton of prequel content and to trash them at this stage of the game is a poor decision and nightmarish for Lucasfilm. They are relevant to comics, videogames, they still move toys, they are responsible for a tv series people will get into fights over if they claim Ahsoka isn't that great. The prequels like it or not, Disney is committed to.

Disney went out of its way to rebrand the old and keep the new largely in step with continuity. Lucasfilm bent over backwards to make the saga work, and to trash a third of it? That's insane. Not only do they have to rebrand things but they have to do something with the prequels else why do anything with it? The franchise survived and got one of the most marketable aspects of the franchise out of it, it's not going anywhere.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

No. Get rid of the sequels. They’ve completely destroyed the story and the character from the OT and the new characters make Jar Jar look like Han Solo by comparison.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

That's just as stupid an idea.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If they did junk the prequels that would be in line with Kylo Ren's kill the past Mentallity. Though I think they already embraced the prequels since they brought Ahsoka into Rebels. As for the question I say no.

Why bother to erase the Prequels at all?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    If they did junk the prequels that would be in line with Kylo Ren's kill the past Mentallity. Though I think they already embraced the prequels since they brought Ahsoka into Rebels. As for the question I say no.
    Ahsoka isn't even in the Prequels.

I'd be fine with erasing the Prequel movies as long as they keep the rest of the time period the Prequels take place in.
    Maybe get the people that did Clone Wars to remake them as a big budget animated trilogy in the same style as Clone Wars, telling essentially the same story, but without all the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No. Get rid of the sequels. They’ve completely destroyed the story and the character from the OT and the new characters make Jar Jar look like Han Solo by comparison.
    AMEN!!!! I've ALREADY dumped TFA and TLJ from my head canon. I only count the original 6 + Rogue One that I liked.

The expanded universe comics are now my 7,8, 9 sequels.

I liked all of the Lucas 6 Movies and have watched them bunches of times. That would be just awful to dump 1,2, and 3.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl_70; 05-19-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Disney hasn't ignored the prequels at all, really.

-Ewan's Obi-Wan makes a vocal cameo in TFA that was specifically recorded for the movie: "Rey, these are your first steps" (There's also concept art of Hayden as Anakin/Vader)

-There's a ton in Rogue One. The tank carrying Jyn early in the film is seen in the Kashyyk battle in ROTS (It's based on some old ESB concept art, which made it's way into the EU as well, but I think it still counts)...

.....Jimmy Smits returns as Bail Organa, and Geniveiene O' Reilly as Mon Mothma. Although she was mostly cut out of ROTS, it's still the same actress.

.....Vader's castle is located on Mustafar (confirmed by Lucasfilm).

.....There's also Saw Gerrera, who although didn't appear in the prequels did appear in the prequel Clone Wars cartoon.

.....Jyn's flashback takes place on Coruscant (although like the juggernaught, Coruscant was used in the EU beforehand, but the look of the apartment and the buildings outside is clearly the prequel's design).

In TLJ, Luke likewise mentions "Darth Sidious", Palpatine's sith name. Also although the OT never really uses the world, Sith is shared by the PT and ST.

Also, Marvel-run by Disney-has had a few prequel era comics (mainly the miniseries, such as Anakin & Obi-Wan and the recent Mace Windu). Both Darth Vader comic series have also made many prequel references. The monthly Star Wars comics also had a four issue Yoda arc a few months ago set during the prequels.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The Rogue One prequel novel Catalyst also spends about half the book in the Clone Wars era with significant plot points like what was going on on Geonosis after the two battles there and stuff with Poggle the Lesser, a younger Tarkin and Mas Amedda. And of course Disney let them adapt Dark Disciple's storyline from an unmade Clone Wars arc into a novel.
    Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 05-19-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Empty is thy hand!

I'm inclined to agree but I'm not asking for it.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that thing should no longer exist. Guess what: a fuckton of people enjoyed the prequel era, which accounts for all the comics, cartoons, games, toys and books, some of which are still being produced today.

I don't enjoy the Disney stuff (while still acknowledging that others do), so I ignore it. You can do the same with the fiction that you don't like.

I can't wait until Hbomberguy creates his video on the Star Wars Prequels, vindicating George "Our Guy" Lucas and casting out REDDIT Letter Media and all those who adhere to their doctrine. So far though, he's only provided a sampling of his viewpoints here and there, scattered about for his ideological patriots to seek out like some holy relic. Here are some short clips of Hbomerguy discussing the Prequals and their genius;

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5qRX3shD3I (Part 1)
    >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VVvmvw_pME (Part 2)
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Keep dreaming man