Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default Make the X-Books Cohesive

In the past few years (since the end of the Utopia era, really), the x-books have had a problem with cohesion. They have often felt like they were disjointed and telling stories all on their own without any actually repercussions that last for a significantly long time in any of the other books - at Marvel at all or in the smaller scale, where you would think that they should be reflected, the other X-Books themselves. Before the revival of the adult Jean Grey the only change to the X-Books that lasted for a long time and would be reflected in the wider status of things for a significant amount of time to come was the arrival of the original X-Men to the present time. And now with the returns of Jean and Logan, one is only just now starting to reach the greater line (and she's been back since January) while the other is being exclusively referenced in it's own event and very sparingly in the current Infinity Countdown maxi-series.

There was once a time where every single thing that happened in every single book would be reflected in the other books and continue to maintain relevancy as a longterm status quo. Even as recently as eight years ago (during the aforementioned Utopia era) this is something that we had, and to spare at that. Things were fantastic then. Even if the books were telling their own story - and often, they were, such as when Morrison and Claremont were writing New X-Men and X-Treme X-Men - the books still felt like they belonged to the same line. The X-Men were at their best during these days.

So, my question to you all is: how would you bring cohesiveness back to the X-Men books?

First off, I would make it so that there was no overlap between the teams. Second, I would take the idea of the Mutant Nation from X-Men Red (hereafter referenced as 'Nation X') and use it to create a new umbrella for the books themselves. The Mutant Nation has created a safe haven for the mutants throughout the world, and it is... the entire world itself. Under the watchful eye of the Mutant Nation's council of leaders (Uncanny X-Men, featuring what is effectively the Red team, but subbing out some characters for Moonstar and Iceman), the world has become a somewhat more welcoming place to mutants, and they are all over the place! The X-Council also operates as the flagship team and deals with all sorts of problems, such as normal heroics, politics, race relations, and other things of that nature.

Rogue, Psylocke, Havok, Archangel, and others head up a team that operates as a police team for mutants throughout the world (Astonishing X-Men), and are directly aligned against either the Brotherhood and the Acolytes, and other mutant issues that pop up throughout the world. With reappearances of villains like Onslaught, Apocalypse, et cetera, it is their job to make sure that Nation X's integration into the greater population goes as swimmingly as possible. They have a mobile base (like SHIP from X-Factor), meant to respond to any issues at any given time.

X-Force deals with the problems going on in the world that the other teams are not up to the task to defeat. They aren't technically sanctioned by the council of leaders that are heading up Nation X, but that's the only reason that they are able to do what they can - they aren't beholden to any of the politics. It's a mix of the normal wetworks strike team and the paramilitaristic take that Cable's team took when it first formed. This is where characters like Cable, Wolverine, Domino, X-23, and even Magneto would spend their time.

Otherwise I would throw in the typical student team that's focused at Xavier's, and potentially is the only team to be so, an X-Factor book of some kind, and maybe one more team of X-Men. Ideally most of the popular characters would be covered here and then otherwise we would have a few solo titles, namely: Wolverine, Cable, Deadpool, X-23, Jean Grey, and Storm.

What have you guys got?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

I think an important step would be NOT centralize everything school-related on the US. Archangel, Sunspot, Karma, Emma, the Xavier estate itself, Magneto, I think, mutants in general seem to have so many resources, it's kind of weird there isn't at least one mutant school for each continent. You don't need to focus too much on the students because we already have enough of those and trying to develop more is just ASKING for them to be slaughtered down the line. An X-Council should be formed either by the most influential mutants or the most powerful. People like Jean, Storm, Namor, Magneto, Sunspot and others could fit well there. Admitting it or not, bigots should fear the idea of harming mutants.
    I'm not too concerned bec the mutant nation from Red is probably going to stick and be the status quo for the X-Line relaunch post-Extermination., so we might see how it plays out.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

The solution is to have the same writer do multiple books or very strict editorial guidance/mandates. The former is far more organic and appealing but risky since they won't put "all their eggs into one basket" and there is no guarantee most fans would like a single writer's PoV. Either that or have a group of writers who all love X-Men and know it well and are willing to work together for long time on it.

The Editorial "solution" was attempted already during the 1990s and it was a total disaster and frustrated the writing talent massively and dumbed down the books mostly

The main thing is for you to understand where your sense of "not cohesive" actually comes from. It comes from the fact we keep relaunching series and switching around the writing talent. That is the source.

It's also ironic how people complain so much about despising "crossovers" while simultaneously very upset that the books don't affect each other more. Isn't the whole reason to have more self-contained books so that folks who like the way one book does things but not another, can enjoy what they like and not have to deal with the other stuff? The argument could be that you can always buy/read the other book if you wanted to check out what's going on there
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 05-19-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Four X-Men books. Astonishing wide angle superhero book, Uncanny renegade counter book, New school teacher and student book, Extraordinary recent grad junior book. Mostly unique casts to each although 3 of the books would be based at the Xavier Institute. Keep Kitty in charge and leading the public facing hero book but have Emma or Jean take over more direct control of heading the School, with lots of room for friction there. Hope leads the junior team, Storm heading the counter team, which would be based somewhere else in the world.

As much as I love spinoff teams (New Mutants, Excalibur, X-Force, Gen X, etc) they don’t seem to sell sustainably today so the X-Men branding is important. Maybe keep two solo titles going, Wolverine and another (Cable, X-23, etc), whatever’s most likely to keep up numbers. You have six core ongoings then and can feature other characters and groups with minis.

Astonishing Member

If Cohesive means crossovers that interrupts all the books every year, then, no.

Writers should look at what other writer's are doing, and use it in their books if it fits their books, and editors should prevent continuity mistakes, but that's it.

Morrison's New X-Men wasn't interrupted by any crossover event and it lasted 3 years, I think the best runs have that luck.
    Tieri's Weapon X, a very different book that was being published at the same time, nevertheless used Sublime and Fantomex from Morrison's book because it fit it nicely.
    Last edited by lurkerforyears; 05-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Well there are good and bad points in having the mutant comics with independent stories.

The good part is not having to buy more than one comic to fully understand events but on the other hand it's strange to see Jean back and this does not affect the other comics at all. The same goes for Mothervine an event of this type is important enough to affect the entire marvel universe or at least all mutant comics.

But I agree though there are teams with different goals and missions there should be more communication between them and the school in the USA should stop being the only place of reference for training and protection of mutants.

There should be more communication between writers and editors to avoid mistakes that have happened in the past where events in one comic book contradict what happened in another.

I think the easiest way would be to give each color a mission statement.
    Blue for cosmic threats.
    Red for the immediate threats that effect the everyday life of mutants such as what's happening in the book currently.
    Gold should be the premiere super hero x-men book. The avengebjrs of x-men if there is no uncanny.
    And i would add X-men green for the younger mutants that need to be trained.

But this is if we were trying to make the current books cohesive. And there would be no repeat X-men on any team. Uncanny and like X-force is the place where you may see an X-man on two books but the main colors red blue green and gold each mutant would have to be only on one color unless a crossover of course.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    If Cohesive means crossovers that interrupts all the books every year, then, no.

Writers should look at what other writer's are dying, and use it in their books if it fits their books, and editors should prevent continuity mistakes, but that's it.

Morrison's New X-Men wasn't interrupted by any crossover event and it lasted 3 years, I think the best runs have that luck.
    Tieri's Weapon X, a very different book that was being published at the same time, nevertheless used Sublime and Fantomex from Morrison's book because it fit it nicely.
    I don't think that having cohesiveness means having to have a crossover every year. I actually agree with you. Again, Morrison's run was great and the books were consistent during that time, but they didn't have any crossovers that weren't entirely self-contained. We had Jean showing up in XXM and Storm showing in NXM. I don't see why they couldn't do something like that again. It doesn't really help, though, that even when things aren't cohesive we're getting crossovers (see: the Mojoworld arc recently)

Just being cohesive doesn't mean books can't tell their own stories.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The question is, does Marvel WANT them to be cohesive? I guess the argument is that it makes it easier for new readers to jump in if books are largely self-contained. I would so so love if they could be cohesive again, but I'm starting to doubt it'll happen right now.

The main thing is that Marvel should give the X-Books close attention and invest in great talent again to work on the books. The X-Men, themes are complex and rich so they can put more out of the box writers and artists to work on it like Morrison, Quietly, Remender, Opeña, Adi Granov, Bianchi, Claremont, Dauterman, etc...

That being said I suggested something like this elsewhere but since I couldn't find it I will take a stab at it again: We don't have the O5 in this timeline anymore, Cyclops is still dead for a while, Professor X is back but as an astral projection that guides the X-Men. We have four main teams:

ASTONISHING X-MEN
    White and gold uniform.
    Written by Rick Remender. Simon Bianchi on Art.
    These are the leaders of the mutant race. The royalty. They deal with global threats and interact directly with other super-hero teams:
    Storm - leader
    Magneto
    Namor
    Wolverine
    Emma Frost
    Havok
    Rogue
    Magik

UNCANNY X-MEN
    Blue and gold uniforms.
    Written by Chris Claremont. Frank Quietly on Art.
    These are responsible for taking care of the school, finding and teaching the new mutants:
    Kitty Pryde - leader/headmistress
    Iceman - english teacher
    Dazzler - music teacher
    Colossus - arts teacher
    Forge - tech teacher
    Beast - literature teacher
    Rachel Grey - history teacher
    Frenzy - gym teacher
    Dr. Nemesis - science teacher
    Sage - maths teacher
    Jubilee - guidance counselor
    Doop - janitor, hall monitor, lunch lady and security

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN
    Red and black uniforms.
    Written by Cullen Bunn. Russell Dauterman on Art.
    They live in a space base on the earth's orbit and are responsible for protecting the planet and in charge of responding to the galactic threats:
    Jean Grey - leader
    Psylocke
    Nightcrawler
    Polaris
    Ch'od
    Northstar
    Kid Gladiator
    Deathbird

X-FORCE
    Black and grey uniforms.
    Written by Kyle & Yost. Mike Del Mundo on Art.
    Undercover espionage team:
    Cable - leader
    Archangel
    Domino
    X-23
    Gambit
    Lady Mastermind
    Puck
    Last edited by MentalManipulator; 05-19-2018 at 10:36 AM.

There's the whirygig genius of many seemingly superfluous parts all working for a miraculously singular outcome that I've always been drawn to. It's fascinating to follow a progression that defies point to point or line by line efficiency in order to preserve and incorporate the journey itself in the final product.

There are periods in extensive bodies of work when a sort of harmony is created as if by accident or luck or magic when growth and expansion somehow invigorates and illuminates the heart of things. Like when a wheel's spokes go to blur and the hub seems to hover in space as the turning rolls along. There's progression and stillness.

So,IMO, there are two different versions of cohesion here both of which demand something which the current X-Men Comic Book Franchise can't produce unconsciously, there's a certain fascination in the alchemy of building a fire before the fire is set that carries this fire in hands and from place to place without burning the hands or mind. The fire isn't there but isn't not there, it's perhaps like that center in the spinning wheel or the lost spark in the whirligig that escapes like some Houdini to light the bulb with thrilling flare.

But when the switch lights up a franchise sign and the fire is in the furnace...

The magic all goes to the efficiency of product.

Now a button downloads a trip to the store...and so on...

I'm actually in favor of CHOAS when it comes to the modern day X-Men Comic Books. Let there be so many titles that that 'lost' element may have a chance to loose itself once again within the streams and let that stray desperate spark fall someplace far from the solicited prefabricated certainty of secure control to do something odd and distractingly laborious...

Admittedly, it's difficult to loose control deliberately. It's hard to be patient when you grow up. Your patience goes to other things...outcomes and insurances...stuff owned and unpaid for...debts...etc...

There was a time when the X-Men franchise was young and rebellious and uninterested in it's own stuff, didn't care for nostalgia and even had the courage to offer up unwritten vignettes and asides with re-prints of it's of so young self-named Classics...but that was on accident and with natural desire that senses nothing but MUST. That way is called the 'long way' now and there's a Walmart along that route that's more or less the same as the one that's close by the stores around it are the same too...but it's all online anyway, and there's a better inventory online...(sigh)...

I'm pretending to be defeated so I don't alert the bosses to what might not be defeated...some mutant over there...or in there...totally unconcerned and unaware of how special and unique it is...

Thank you for framing this discussion Harpsikord. The 'idea' and 'hope' for a unified whole is itself very important. It's that fire...I appreciate the opportunity to seek it and to feel that absence that isn't ever truly there to be gone...
    Last edited by sungila; 05-19-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I like the idea of having four core team books, a few solo books, and rotating mini-series with very little overlap.

Ongoing Team Books:

Uncanny X-men: Jean Grey, Storm, Nightcrawler, Karma, Sunspot, Gentle, Trinary, and Multiple Man.
    This book would be about the mutant nation organizing embassies in the U.S, Germany, Brazil, Wakanda, Egypt, and Vietnam. This team is ambitious, international, and making real changes on the ground but meet resistance from those opposing the embassies and disagreeing with mutant nation dual citizenship. The team has a headquarters with a teleporter machine (invented by Trinary) that allows travel to each embassy and each embassy has a Madrox dupe for coordination/communication. The members of this team are responsible for protecting the embassies and allowing them to perform their functions (providing sanctuaries, ensuring rights are protected, etc). The threats met by this team have ramifications in other books.

Astonishing X-men: Kitty Pryde, Iceman, Wolverine, Emma Frost, Rogue, Beast, Jubilee, and Dani Moonstar
    This book would be about the Xavier school and its faculty doubling as teachers/leaders and a superhero team. The team keeps the history of the Xavier school alive as one of the first safe-havens for mutants, helping to facilitate the next big thinkers and actors in the mutant community. Astonishing X-men has some crossover potential with Adjectiveless X-men who may sometimes act antagonistically to this group, and with "New X-men," who also share space at the school. The Astonishing team often teams-up with the Fantastic Four or the Avengers to protect the earth from various threats. This team sees the Adjectiveless X-men as too unpredictable and blind to the consequences of their actions. Astonishing X-men often has to provide damage control for the Adjectiveless team's actions.

Adjectiveless X-men: Cyclops, Polaris, Illyana, Hellion, Daken, Domino, Cable, and Danger.
    This book would be about characters using the "X" imagery to usher more radical changes. These characters are unsatisfied by how the school is being run and do not fit in with the PR of the mutant nation. This team acts more covertly and isn't sanctioned or public. This gives them more freedom to deal with the ugliest anti-mutant hatred and the most violent X-men villains. This is essentially X-Force, but the characters don't see it that way. For them, the "X-men" should make the hard decisions for the benefit of the mutant community and see the school as too reactionary, too idealistic, too passive, and too much of an ivory tower. The Astonishing X-men picks and chooses when to be superheroes while the Adjectiveless X-men makes important sacrifices without the same hero-credibility and publicity as Astonishing. I wouldn't make the Adjectiveless vs Astonishing split as big as something like Schism. A lot of these characters should still be friends but with different ideologies that sometimes lead to tensions.

New X-men: Armour, Indra, Dust, Mercury, Anole, Pixie, Rockslide, Idie, Bling, Nathanial, and Genesis
    This book would be about young X-men characters. Some of these characters have graduated and are working at the school as TA's and trainee X-men, while other characters are students. The New X-men should have a core team sanctioned by the Xavier school to handle missions that the X-men do not have time for or cannot do. There should be a large rotating cast of younger students that accompany the graduated students on their lower risk missions. I'd like to see this team guest star in X23's series, in Uncanny to hang with Gentle, and in Adjectiveless to interact with Hellion who believes the school fails its students.

Ongoing Solo Books

X-23:
    Laura continues her work with the Orphans of X to help all of the Facility's victims and to make sure no other mutant is made into a weapon again. Wolverine, Hellion, Mercury, Daken, and others should guest star in this book occasionally and X-23 should guest star in their books.

Magneto Legacy:
    With Xavier dead and replaced by so many different mutant leaders, Magneto tries find his place in the world by retiring from super-heroics and super-villainery in this self-reflexive character study.

Gambit:
    A heist book that shows Remy walking that line between thief and superhero in a fun and sexy series.

Limited Mini Series (each with 6 issues lasting 6 months)

Summers Family Reunion (6 issues):
    Scott, Jean, Cable, Nathan, Rachel, and Hope sort out their differences when a family emergency brings them together from across the various books.

X-Factor (6 issues):
    Madrox, Strong Guy, Rictor, Shatterstar, Boom Boom, Siryn, and Wolfsbane reunite as X-Factor Investigations for one more shocking and life-changing mystery

Storm (6 issues):
    This series digs into Storm's thoughts on her status quo as a defender of the mutant nation and the state of Wakanda.

Pride of the X-men (6 issues):
    Queer mutants Iceman, Northstar, Bling, Anole, Karma, Prodigy, Rictor, Shatterstar, and Magik (identifying as ace) organize an initiative for people at the intersection of queer and mutant. This is mostly just an excuse to the X-men's queer characters mingle. Throw in some of the subtexty ones and out a few of them here too. I can dream right?

This would be my ideal "fresh start" that would have at least 2 years of stories.

Location is key imo. I think thats why Utopia felt more cohesive. Most of the mutants lived there.

X-men can just bump into each other and go on a mission or something. Someone on the forums said Utopia felt like a "all hands on deck" approach which i think describes it well and MAY be a reason why the xbooks at that time felt... idunno. More like a unit? if that makes sense.

I think another big part is the mission statement and structure of the X-men during that time. The mission was to just survival and Cyclops was the leader and everyone followed him more or less.

Since Schism, but more so after AVX different teams had different bases and did their own thing for better or worse. So you lose that central place. And no the school can't match the feel Utopia had. (Tbh im sick of the school concept, most of the "kids" or 17 and up) The school gets moved around and someone new is running the place so often.

To the idea of this "nation X" I'm not sure if this is a real place or like some type of concept that mutants have. (I don't read Red or any X-books atm.) IF this becomes a real place it CAN't be just some random place chosen and explained in a few panels. Make this place important by having a big story around it, then launch new books from there. The new books as you mention would ideally have no overlapping of characters but teams can run into one another or something like that. I like your idea of "The X-Council" whos general purpose is to oversee the whole mutant situation. From taking out the baddies (x-force), defending the mutants, investigating potential issues (abroad or on this Nation X), or just goofing around with the occasional serious moment (new-x men "kids" book). Will marvel do this tho? >_<
    Last edited by FIGHT; 05-20-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I like the idea of having four core team books, a few solo books, and rotating mini-series with very little overlap.

Ongoing Team Books:

Uncanny X-men: Jean Grey, Storm, Nightcrawler, Karma, Sunspot, Gentle, Trinary, and Multiple Man.
    This book would be about the mutant nation organizing embassies in the U.S, Germany, Brazil, Wakanda, Egypt, and Vietnam. This team is ambitious, international, and making real changes on the ground but meet resistance from those opposing the embassies and disagreeing with mutant nation dual citizenship. The team has a headquarters with a teleporter machine (invented by Trinary) that allows travel to each embassy and each embassy has a Madrox dupe for coordination/communication. The members of this team are responsible for protecting the embassies and allowing them to perform their functions (providing sanctuaries, ensuring rights are protected, etc). The threats met by this team have ramifications in other books.

Astonishing X-men: Kitty Pryde, Iceman, Wolverine, Emma Frost, Rogue, Beast, Jubilee, and Dani Moonstar
    This book would be about the Xavier school and its faculty doubling as teachers/leaders and a superhero team. The team keeps the history of the Xavier school alive as one of the first safe-havens for mutants, helping to facilitate the next big thinkers and actors in the mutant community. Astonishing X-men has some crossover potential with Adjectiveless X-men who may sometimes act antagonistically to this group, and with "New X-men," who also share space at the school. The Astonishing team often teams-up with the Fantastic Four or the Avengers to protect the earth from various threats. This team sees the Adjectiveless X-men as too unpredictable and blind to the consequences of their actions. Astonishing X-men often has to provide damage control for the Adjectiveless team's actions.

Adjectiveless X-men: Cyclops, Polaris, Illyana, Hellion, Daken, Domino, Cable, and Danger.
    This book would be about characters using the "X" imagery to usher more radical changes. These characters are unsatisfied by how the school is being run and do not fit in with the PR of the mutant nation. This team acts more covertly and isn't sanctioned or public. This gives them more freedom to deal with the ugliest anti-mutant hatred and the most violent X-men villains. This is essentially X-Force, but the characters don't see it that way. For them, the "X-men" should make the hard decisions for the benefit of the mutant community and see the school as too reactionary, too idealistic, too passive, and too much of an ivory tower. The Astonishing X-men picks and chooses when to be superheroes while the Adjectiveless X-men makes important sacrifices without the same hero-credibility and publicity as Astonishing. I wouldn't make the Adjectiveless vs Astonishing split as big as something like Schism. A lot of these characters should still be friends but with different ideologies that sometimes lead to tensions.

New X-men: Armour, Indra, Dust, Mercury, Anole, Pixie, Rockslide, Idie, Bling, Nathanial, and Genesis
    This book would be about young X-men characters. Some of these characters have graduated and are working at the school as TA's and trainee X-men, while other characters are students. The New X-men should have a core team sanctioned by the Xavier school to handle missions that the X-men do not have time for or cannot do. There should be a large rotating cast of younger students that accompany the graduated students on their lower risk missions. I'd like to see this team guest star in X23's series, in Uncanny to hang with Gentle, and in Adjectiveless to interact with Hellion who believes the school fails its students.

Ongoing Solo Books

X-23:
    Laura continues her work with the Orphans of X to help all of the Facility's victims and to make sure no other mutant is made into a weapon again. Wolverine, Hellion, Mercury, Daken, and others should guest star in this book occasionally and X-23 should guest star in their books.

Magneto Legacy:
    With Xavier dead and replaced by so many different mutant leaders, Magneto tries find his place in the world by retiring from super-heroics and super-villainery in this self-reflexive character study.

Gambit:
    A heist book that shows Remy walking that line between thief and superhero in a fun and sexy series.
    Am I right in thinking that you're saying Honey Badger should leave Jean's team and only appear in X-23?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post

Ongoing Team Books:

Ongoing Solo Books

X-23:

Magneto Legacy:

Gambit:

Limited Mini Series (each with 6 issues lasting 6 months)

Summers Family Reunion (6 issues):
    Scott, Jean, Cable, Nathan, Rachel, and Hope sort out their differences when a family emergency brings them together from across the various books.

X-Factor (6 issues):
    Madrox, Strong Guy, Rictor, Shatterstar, Boom Boom, Siryn, and Wolfsbane reunite as X-Factor Investigations for one more shocking and life-changing mystery

Storm (6 issues):
    This series digs into Storm's thoughts on her status quo as a defender of the mutant nation and the state of Wakanda.

Pride of the X-men (6 issues):
    Queer mutants Iceman, Northstar, Bling, Anole, Karma, Prodigy, Rictor, Shatterstar, and Magik (identifying as ace) organize an initiative for people at the intersection of queer and mutant. This is mostly just an excuse to the X-men's queer characters mingle. Throw in some of the subtexty ones and out a few of them here too. I can dream right?

This would be my ideal "fresh start" that would have at least 2 years of stories.
    This is actually a great pitch. I applaud for both the ideas and the patience to craft all of this. 10/10 would read the hell out of an X-line like this.