Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Do Amazons Need To Be Tall To Be An Amazon?

Amazons are always show in the comics and often in the TV series as very tall. But does an amazon need to be tall to be called amazon? There has to be a few shorter amazons. And what is considered tall among the amazons? Just taller than the average woman of the time in man worlds or something else?

There have been Amazons of average height in the comics and related media. Your typical superheroine has about the same height as an Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There have been Amazons of average height in the comics and related media. Your typical superheroine has about the same height as an Amazon.
    Correct!

I don't know if Amazons have to be tall, but I think that is part of being an Amazon. Personally, I do like my Amazons tall--over 6 feet!

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

I think the average Amazon should be as tall as the average male (5'9"/5'10"), with of coutse some of them being taller/shorter.

Although with Diana herself now, more or less, officially being 6'2", I can see 6'2" being the average, cause overall I don't like the idea of Diana being considered especially tall amogst the Amazons.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 05-19-2018 at 09:47 AM.

I think most of the shortest Amazons should be 5'9" to 5'10", the majority of average-sized Amazons at 6'0", with Wonder Woman standing 6'2".

However, Diana should not be the tallest Amazon, and there can be a number of them that are taller.

I think Perez had them of a slightly larger stature than the average human, which I quite liked as unique aspect to their people.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I think Perez had them of a slightly larger stature than the average human, which I quite liked as unique aspect to their people.
    Quite true.

Plus, I like 'em taller so we can include Marvel's Valkyrie (6'3") and Thundra (7'2") as well as evil Warrior Woman (6'5") with them fitting in quite well for the most part!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, it's called Heroic Build after all, and Amazons are supposed to be model warriors. I don't mind short Amazons though. More variation and technically you don't have to be that tall to be a hero. That's just the idealized version.

Variation is never a bad thing. Have some be tall, others short, and some medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Correct!

I don't know if Amazons have to be tall, but I think that is part of being an Amazon. Personally, I do like my Amazons tall--over 6 feet!
    I like the Amazons tall as well. Valkyries are the same way. That was the only ting I didn't like about Tessa Thomson(sp) in Thor Ragnarok. She was a short little thing, other than that physical attribute I enjoyed her performance.

In other words, when you think of mythical-type warrior women you typically expect them to be tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I like the Amazons tall as well. Valkyries are the same way. That was the only ting I didn't like about Tessa Thomson(sp) in Thor Ragnarok. She was a short little thing, other than that physical attribute I enjoyed her performance.

In other words, when you think of mythical-type warrior women you typically expect them to be tall.
    A high-five to you, Thor2014! I concur with the Valkyries being tall too.

As I mentioned above, with the height being tall, we can fold in some Marvelous Marvel ladies into the Amazons!

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Speaking of Tessa Thompson's height as Valkyrie.

Although Gal Gadot like, at 5'9", is tall for a woman, do you guys consider her tall enough for the part?

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post

Although Gal Gadot like, at 5'9", is tall for a woman, do you guys consider her tall enough for the part?
    I do. As I said, I don't think all Amazons need to be extremely tall. They weren't even described as such in the myths.

I didn't think she was too short. I thought her height worked. Tall, but not overbearingly so (finding that right balance). Plus, costumes that the actors wore actually boosted their height. Ben Affleck's height with the boots and what not as like, 6'8 or something.

Incredible Member

Her official height in the comics encyclopedia is 6 foot tall. It’s been that height for many years in the official guides.

I think the average Amazon should be as tall as the average male (5'9"/5'10"), with of coutse some of them being taller/shorter.

Although with Diana herself now, more or less, officially being 6'2", I can see 6'2" being the average, cause overall I don't like the idea of Diana being considered especially tall amogst the Amazons.