Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [Tabletop D&D 5e Setting] Fateforge

I couldn't find a thread for it, so I'm creating one, I hope it's not a double.

What is Fateforge ?
    Fateforge is a D&D setting, fully compatible with the 5ed ruleset. It's created by Studio Agate, the gals and guys behind Shadow of Esteren, an horror-themed French rpg. It adds several rules to the bunch however, such as modular settings (allowing the DM to choose easily what options he wants, depending on the mood he is searching - horror, action, mystery, etc.). But the main difference is probably the goal to actually create an universe where no species is inherently evil - yes, even Orcs and Dröws ! And I think they succeeded.

Four books have been financed right about now but only two have been delivered physically because of Covid and all the disruptions it has created :

• Adventurers - the book presenting the setting, Eana; its nations, cultures, civilizations and playable species, with a very different approach to some (especially mëlesses - half-elves - and merosis - half-orcs); the rules and everything needed to play - save spells. It also contains a new class, unique to it.
    • Grimoire - the book of spells for Fateforge, with additional rules (Geomagic, which transform the way spells work; Corruption, due to the nature of the setting; Madness and of course, a huge list of spells, old and new).
    • Creatures - the first Bestiary of Fateforge, presenting the inhabitants and creatures of the Free City (urban multicultural setting), the Drakenbergen (dwarf lands, with undeads, creatures of the night, etc.) and the Greater Kaan (a collection of nations, ranging from the Septentrional lands to the Cental Asian-steppes of Old Kaan, through a Greek-like colony in the North, an Empire led by a living Immortal ruler, an unclaimed forest and load of independant cities), complete with additional rules, such as perils and traps, how to create your own creature, etc. It also contain six new playable species : Gobelins, Hobgobelins, Orcs, Kobolds, Bugbears and a new creation, the Ulkans.
    • Encyclopedia - the presensation of all the history and secrets of the same region populated in Creatures, over almost 400 pages.

And of course, it's just the start : the next couple of Creatures and Encylopedia book will deel with the Astral, the Canker (Eana's unique ennemy) and the Netherworld and its many peoples (Dröws, Duergars, Svirfnebelins and at least two others).

There is also short scenarios for Fateforge : Fort Ardraco, The Chronolit and The Butterfly Dirge.

Why should you try Fateforge?
    Because the art is gorgeous. No, really. It's a valid reason, considering that it helps tremendously to imagine adventurers in the setting, which is always great for a tabletop rpg. But mainly because it's a complex and well thought-out setting, where there is a lot of complex questions and cultures, which makes one reconsider the usual tropes of Fantasy. Here, the orcs aren't a bunch of evil brute raiding and pillaging because reasons. They do love to fight but they never enslave for instance... and not even all of them love that, some orcish cultures are far more pacifists and contemplatives, seeking spiritual enlightenement far from such adventures.

And that's just one example : each region presented in Adventurers will be explored with a Creature and Encyclopedia couple of books, which will allow the world to grow and become ever more intricate and interesting. And yet, the Creatures books will always be entirely compatible with any D&D setting, allowing you to get a wide range of new creatures and ideas for your games.

Free content
    You can find for free several official documents below. Each is wonderfully illustrated and makes a great work to present you the universe being crafted as of right now.

The Player's guide : https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...turers_id=5029

The Spellcaster's guide : https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...turers_id=5029

The Encyclopedia preview : https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...turers_id=5029

I really like the art style.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I really like the art style.
    It's definitively one of its top selling point for me

That the universe is well-crafted is awesome, but that it looks like that is brilliant !

The world of Eana
    Last edited by Korath; 08-05-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Three species of the Greater Kaan (Iruul Orc, Kobold and Hobgoblin merchant)

Female Orc Ezen (leader of an horde in the Old Kaan)

Aaaaand... I'll stop here for the art right now, I think it gives a rather good overview of the style

Looks absolutely stunning!

If you have questions, don't hesitate, I'll try to answer them as best I can !

Or if you prefer asking questions to the team directly, there is this Discord server : https://discord.gg/pAcEpNrx
    Last edited by Korath; 08-05-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Glad to see homeboys doing some fine work.

I grew up in Toulouse.

(quartier de jolimont)

Haha, I don't work for Agate Studios (Yet? Who knows!) but glad to see another Toulousain here XD

Oh wow. That is some REALLY beautiful art. And I'm really loving the different cultures being depicted.

I've never played a TTRPG before, but man I've always wanted to try. Stuff like that is right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Oh wow. That is some REALLY beautiful art. And I'm really loving the different cultures being depicted.

I've never played a TTRPG before, but man I've always wanted to try. Stuff like that is right up my alley.
    Glad you're liking it !

If you have some questions about the world and the races, don't hésitate to shoot my way, I can answer some. Or go on the Discord and ask them to the team, the lead designers are very present on it !

And some evils from the world of Eana : a Grick part of the Canker and a Horned Devil from the Furnace.

https://dragons-jdr.blogspot.com/201...es-abimes.html

https://dragons-jdr.blogspot.com/201...otre-sang.html
    Last edited by Korath; 08-11-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Yeah, it's one of the main goal of the studio, as far as I know, to create really beautiful books for the hobby.

Also I can't wait to see the Netherworld's books which will be reelased next !

For those of you who would be interested, it's probable that the next KS campaign for the second bestiary, focused on the Netherworld's inhabitants, but also the unique enemy of the setting, Canker (with probably a dive into the Astral then, since it has a facet of itself there) andperhaps even more than that, will happen early next year or perhaps at the very end of this one. I'll keep you up posted !

Hello everyone ! The alert for the next KS is up : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...toolbox-for-5e

Each time we'll reach 1000 people subscribing to the alert (so it's free), there will be a free short-scenario added to the early bird bonus !

Full disclosure : this book also contain my first contribution to the Fateforge universe, so if you have questions, go wild, I'll see which ones I can answer !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Hello everyone ! The alert for the next KS is up : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...toolbox-for-5e

Each time we'll reach 1000 people subscribing to the alert (so it's free), there will be a free short-scenario added to the early bird bonus !

Full disclosure : this book also contain my first contribution to the Fateforge universe, so if you have questions, go wild, I'll see which ones I can answer !
    Ooh! Nice!