Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    War of the Ring is excellent. I don't play it often but it's a great game. The one that you got, is it Dune or Dune Imperium? (I guess it's the former)
    Dune, the I guess re-release of the 1970s/80s game.

It has updated art and clearer rules from that version. There is also an expansion but I'm not convinced it needs one for the same reason WotR had skippable expansions (I thought they just added more pieces and made the already huge game ... larger). BUT ... people rave about the Dune expansion. I might get it at some point if the game starts to feel rote.

Imperium didn't sound like the bones a good game upon my sniff test. I will probably try it since Dune content outside of new books are hard to find.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-12-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not a fan of Imperium either.

As worker placement games go, i enjoyed way more "Lewis & Clark Expedition" than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not a fan of Imperium either.

As worker placement games go, i enjoyed way more "Lewis & Clark Expedition" than this one.
    Is Dune Imperium a reskin of a game??

Apparently the Dune game that is the re-realese of the old board game has a NEW expansion coming out this year, CHOAM(meh) & Richese(!).

There is already the Ixians(!) & Tleilaxu(!) ... hmmm.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-13-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Is Dune Imperium a reskin of a game??
    Not that i know of but the system is quite classic. You have spaces you can send your "workers" to for collecting resources. Resources that then you can spend to buy stuff in order to try to win some victory points.

Lot of games use the very same formula.

It works well but i have noticed that with that type of gameplay the thematic of the game tends to be quite weak. Here it's Dune but it could be Star Wars, Star Trek or Green Arrow, the rules would work just the same.

You could only tell the difference thanks to the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not that i know of but the system is quite classic. You have spaces you can send your "workers" to for collecting resources. Resources that then you can spend to buy stuff in order to try to win some victory points.

Lot of games use the very same formula.

It works well but i have noticed that with that type of gameplay the thematic of the game, the universe it tries to emulate, tends to be quite weak. Here it's Dune but it could be Star Wars, Star Trek or Green Arrow, the rules would work just the same.

You could only tell the difference thanks to the artwork.
    Thanks for the info! That confirms my suspicions. Well the Dune game is really good. I would recommend if you want a blend of Diplomacy meets Risk with a heavy dose of theme.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-13-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Does no one play Marvel VS 2PCG? In my opinion, that's by far the best Marvel IP card game out there (and it's an LCG, not a CCG, so it doesn't have blind buys or collecting issues like e.g. Magic the Gathering)

I got out of the card game scene a long time ago. Largely due to having to pay to win.

I have to say the LCGs have me intrigued. There is a Five Rings one and the aformentioned Marvel one.

What is it like?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I got out of the card game scene a long time ago. Largely due to having to pay to win.

I have to say the LCGs have me intrigued. There is a Five Rings one and the aformentioned Marvel one.

What is it like?
    There's actually three Marvel LCGs:
    - Marvel Champions (Fantasy Flight) - Co-op or Solo, each player uses a hero and his/ her deck to defeat a villain and a scheme. It's OK, a lot of people rave about it; for me it's fun but it's a bit too generic in terms of theme (it's all about "get X cards", "deal Y damage", etc.). It's quite similar to other FFG LGCs like Arkham Horror Card Game or Lord of the Rings Card Game - I also have the latter).
    - Marvel Legendary (Upper Deck) - Semi co-op (if losing, everyone loses; if winning, everyone wins), similar to Marvel Champions in that you are trying to beat a villain (mastermind) and a scheme (a story) but it's more similar to a deckbuilder like Ascension or Dominion.
    - Marvel VS 2PCG (Upper Deck) - this is the one I'm referring to. It's a one vs. one (can also be played two vs. two, I believe) competitive LCG kind of similar to Magic the Gathering but with more modern mechanics (there are no mana issues) and, instead of fighting against your opponent, your objective is to take out your opponent's Main Character. I like it very much because I think most of the cards are very thematic (e.g. Uatu lets you see cards anywhere, Mr. Fantastic creates inventions, Mephisto can offer the opponent a deal with the devil - e.g. you heal all wounds from your main character but I draw 5 cards, Iceman freezes opponent's characters (they can't untap), Ant-Man shrinks and can't be attacked, Prof. X can mind control an opponent's character, etc.). For people who like Magic the Gathering, the game will be quick to learn but with better mechanics, the Marvel IP and it's an LCG vs. Magic being a CCG.
    There was an old VS game and this Marvel VS 2PCG is a reboot by Upper Deck.

In all of these games, if you and I buy a boxset, e.g. "Fantastic Battles" for Marvel VS, we both get exactly the same cards and we both get a complete set for that release.

There's actually three Marvel LCGs:
    - Marvel Champions (Fantasy Flight) - Co-op or Solo, each player uses a hero and his/ her deck to defeat a villain and a scheme. It's OK, a lot of people rave about it; for me it's fun but it's a bit too generic in terms of theme (it's all about "get X cards", "deal Y damage", etc.). It's quite similar to other FFG LGCs like Arkham Horror Card Game or Lord of the Rings Card Game - I also have the latter).
    - Marvel Legendary (Upper Deck) - Semi co-op (if losing, everyone loses; if winning, everyone wins), similar to Marvel Champions in that you are trying to beat a villain (mastermind) and a scheme (a story) but it's more similar to a deckbuilder like Ascension or Dominion.
    - Marvel VS 2PCG (Upper Deck) - this is the one I'm referring to. It's a one vs. one (can also be played two vs. two, I believe) competitive LCG kind of similar to Magic the Gathering but with more modern mechanics (there are no mana issues) and, instead of fighting against your opponent, your objective is to take out your opponent's Main Character. I like it very much because I think most of the cards are very thematic (e.g. Uatu lets you see cards anywhere, Mr. Fantastic creates inventions, Mephisto can offer the opponent a deal with the devil - e.g. you heal all wounds from your main character but I draw 5 cards, Iceman freezes opponent's characters (they can't untap), Ant-Man shrinks and can't be attacked, Prof. X can mind control an opponent's character, etc.). For people who like Magic the Gathering, the game will be quick to learn but with better mechanics, the Marvel IP and it's an LCG vs. Magic being a CCG.
    There was an old VS game and this Marvel VS 2PCG is a reboot by Upper Deck.

In all of these games, if you and I buy a boxset, e.g. "Fantastic Battles" for Marvel VS, we both get exactly the same cards and we both get a complete set for that release.
    Those 2 things have me the most intrigued. It's on the list!

@Hyped78 - I didnt want to quote the whole thing and take up a lot of room.

With the Marvel Vs 2player since each player has the same cards from a pack do you use the same cards battling each other, or does each player build their own deck from the cards in the pack?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    @Hyped78 - I didnt want to quote the whole thing and take up a lot of room.

With the Marvel Vs 2player since each player has the same cards from a pack do you use the same cards battling each other, or does each player build their own deck from the cards in the pack?
    With a living card game, each player is expected to buy their own cards and make their own deck with the cards they buy. It's basically a trading card game without the randomness of the booster packs.

Marvel Legendary is a different beast, as buildng the deck is the game. The one set of cards is shuffled and five cards come out at a time and are made available for the players to buy using points provided by their other cards. This is one of my favorite types of games but might be hard to wrap your head around if you're used to TCGs

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    With a living card game, each player is expected to buy their own cards and make their own deck with the cards they buy. It's basically a trading card game without the randomness of the booster packs.
    K thanks. This is a part I really enjoy. I will look more into this. Thanks
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Yeah, basically with the co-op LCGs like Marvel Legendary it doesn’t sense for two players to have two sets of the game, they would both play with the same cards.

But for competitive LCGs like Marvel VS, it’s more like Magic the Gathering, each player should have his/her own cards and decks - except, of course, if you’re playing e.g. with your girlfriend. I have all the cards that have come out and play with my girlfriend, we make decks from my collection (currently playing an Adam Warlock led deck including the infinity gauntlet and some other surprises, vs. her Avengers deck led by Captain America). The big difference, as stated, is that there is no card rarity and no randomness in buys. But when I play with friends they have their cards and I have mine.

The old VS was a CCG like Magic, this new one is an LCG and I definitely prefer this model.
    Last edited by hyped78; 01-14-2022 at 05:18 PM.

It’s terrible!
    Admittedly, I will say it’s a bit of a “it really depends on the players” kind of game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Admittedly, I will say it’s a bit of a “it really depends on the players” kind of game.
    I was just being “mean”. For me, Monopoly is a pure luck based game, not the type of board game I play (same with Risk) but I understand why it’s so popular.