Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

There is a Star Wars Risk who is surprisingly good.

That one : https://www.amazon.com/Risk-Star-War...2350140&sr=8-1

As I look at the thread and all of my answers I am going to sit down the next couple of days and make a list in order or all of my favorite board games and why. I think this will be a fun project
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Risk is a long game but i love it
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I was just being “mean”. For me, Monopoly is a pure luck based game, not the type of board game I play (same with Risk) but I understand why it’s so popular.
    All games have a bit of luck to them, but point well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    All games have a bit of luck to them, but point well taken.
    No luck involved whatsoever with Chess.

Tried the "Harry Potter, one year in hogwarts" board game recently. (Topi)

Very thematic and fun game for 1 to 8 players. But what truly amazes me with that stuff is the quality of the content you get for the price.

I paid 29 euros for that game and man, the box is HEAVY.

I mean, it has more content and of higher quality than my beloved Buffy the Vampire board game and it was cheaper. And i found it in a fcking supermarket, between a monopoly and a checkers game.

It's a good time for board games.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    No luck involved whatsoever with Chess.
    It's generally believed that the player who goes first has the advantage, so there is a luck component between two evenly matched players - which obv is why tournaments play a series of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It's generally believed that the player who goes first has the advantage, so there is a luck component between two evenly matched players - which obv is why tournaments play a series of games.
    No luck at all with that. To go first isn't going to give you the win.

I am beginning to feel bad for my comment on Monopoly haha. What I meant to say is that games like Monopoly, Risk, Snakes & Ladders etc. are too much luck based.

The (so called modern) board games that I play have different degrees of luck but none of them is as luck based as Monopoly and some of those classic games, and none of them is so much devoid of luck as Chess is. I play things like Twilight Struggle, Twilight Imperium, War of the Ring, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, 7 Wonders Duel, Paths of Glory, Marvel VS 2PCG, Magic the Gathering, Caylus, Dead of Winter, Labyrinth the War on Terror, Lord of the Rings LCG, Architects of the West Kingdom, Mage Knight, Undaunted Normandy, Power Grid, Scythe, Shogun, Through the Ages, Watergate, Washington's War, Everdell, Clank, among many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I’d also call it luck for your opponent to simply miss certain things or choose the worse option when presented with two already bad choices.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    How does it compare to other PbtA games?
    It's way more freeform IMHO.

I have been Playing a lot of Blitz Bowl. An off shoot of Games Workshop Blood Bowl. Uses the same models but the rules are different. It is faster paced and doesnt have all the stats and skills. But it is really fun. And a couple friends and I have added some house rules such as player costs and death and injuries to make it a bit more like Blood Bowl Lite.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have been Playing a lot of Blitz Bowl. An off shoot of Games Workshop Blood Bowl. Uses the same models but the rules are different. It is faster paced and doesnt have all the stats and skills. But it is really fun. And a couple friends and I have added some house rules such as player costs and death and injuries to make it a bit more like Blood Bowl Lite.
    I’ve been interested in that one, as Blood Bowl needs a bigger time investment. Unrelated but I have Blood Bowl Team Manager, it’s a card game rather than using miniatures but it’s excellent

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I’ve been interested in that one, as Blood Bowl needs a bigger time investment. Unrelated but I have Blood Bowl Team Manager, it’s a card game rather than using miniatures but it’s excellent
    Ive heard good this about Blood Bowl Team Management.

If you were looking at Blood Bow and Blitz Bowl is not you thing. Try Blood Bowl 7s. Small pitch smaller roster and a faster game the Blood Bowl.

And I have the PDF rules for Blitz Bowl if you wanted to read them and see if its you thing before buying the game. The thing I liked about Blitz Bowl is they also have the player cards for every team you can play in the starter box. So no need to go look for rules and such.

And on the cost side rather then a 40-50 buck Blood Bowl team box giving you only one team for Blitz Bowl since it only has 6 per team a box gives you two teams.

The Starter had 6 Humans and 6 Dwarves. I also got a Human team box, Orc Box, Lizard men box and Goblin Box. And using some models from a game called Kaos Bowl I was able to set up 14 teams right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ive heard good this about Blood Bowl Team Management.

If you were looking at Blood Bow and Blitz Bowl is not you thing. Try Blood Bowl 7s. Small pitch smaller roster and a faster game the Blood Bowl.

And I have the PDF rules for Blitz Bowl if you wanted to read them and see if its you thing before buying the game. The thing I liked about Blitz Bowl is they also have the player cards for every team you can play in the starter box. So no need to go look for rules and such.

And on the cost side rather then a 40-50 buck Blood Bowl team box giving you only one team for Blitz Bowl since it only has 6 per team a box gives you two teams.

The Starter had 6 Humans and 6 Dwarves. I also got a Human team box, Orc Box, Lizard men box and Goblin Box. And using some models from a game called Kaos Bowl I was able to set up 14 teams right off the bat.
    When you get Blitz Bowl, do you need to assemble and glue the minis? That is another thing that has made me avoid Blood Bowl so far.