Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Everyone who I have played HIVE with has 100% loved it. From adults to 10yr olds who I've taught & played with, all have wanted to immediately play another game. 2 player game only. It's a desert island game for sure.

King of Tokyo is another hit but it's good as a 3+ player game.

Liar's Dice is hilarious when added with alcohol & have to have at least 3 players.

Pandemic and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    King of Tokyo is another hit but it's good as a 3+ player game.
    I've watched a review of King of Tokyo, and it looked to me like it might have the same weakness as Small World - where (with more than two players) how well you do could be more dependant on whether other people choose to attack you than how well you play.

On Saturday, I went to a board game bring and buy sale.

I kind of accidentally spent £90 and got:

Dominion (1st edition, to get the cards which aren't in the 2nd edition, and get the extras to play 5-6 players)

Star Realms (I know this already from my iPad - and have played a couple of games with my son - good so far)

Star Realms: Colony Wars

Tiny Epic Quest (I've played one solo to cement the rules in my head - but I really want to play against people now)

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

Race for the Galaxy (I've played a couple of times with my son - I think this will grow on me if I can convince people to play it)

La Isla

Calus: Magna Carta

Priests of Ra

PandemicL Contagion

Good times ahead...

All of that of 90? That's a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Tiny Epic Quest (I've played one solo to cement the rules in my head - but I really want to play against people now)
    I LOVE Tiny Epic Quest!

It's the second best Tiny Epic game, IMHO, with Tiny Epic Galaxies being the best. The rest are kind of blah to me.

I've enjoyed it solo but there are some funky rule changes for multiplayer. Namely when/how to flip the quest token. My advice is to just be consistent about changing quests out. Movement can be confusing, too, initially. Just remember that EVERYONE gets to move that direction when a person chooses a mode (if you pick horse, ALL players get to travel by horse in turn order).

A word of warning: the game can really drag with 4 players but like Tiny Epic Galaxies, the follow mechanic really reduces the down time for other players and requires you to pay attention each turn. That follow mechanic in both games is really freaking cool, BTW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I LOVE Tiny Epic Quest!

It's the second best Tiny Epic game, IMHO, with Tiny Epic Galaxies being the best. The rest are kind of blah to me.

I've enjoyed it solo but there are some funky rule changes for multiplayer. Namely when/how to flip the quest token. My advice is to just be consistent about changing quests out. Movement can be confusing, too, initially. Just remember that EVERYONE gets to move that direction when a person chooses a mode (if you pick horse, ALL players get to travel by horse in turn order).

A word of warning: the game can really drag with 4 players but like Tiny Epic Galaxies, the follow mechanic really reduces the down time for other players and requires you to pay attention each turn. That follow mechanic in both games is really freaking cool, BTW.
    I played a couple of games against my daughter yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot - and she clearly did because she insisted on the second game.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I played a couple of games against my daughter yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot - and she clearly did because she insisted on the second game.
    Awesome! It really is fun.

My son and wife call it Zelda: The Board Game.

If you have the Golden Mushroom Kingdom mini-expansion, this becomes more true.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Miniature Wargames:

Warmachine/Hordes
    Firestorm Armada
    Anima Tactics

Board Games/Card Games

Allegiance: A Realm Divided
    Star Realms
    Hero Realms
    Sword & Sorcery: Immortal Souls
    Starship Samurai
    HeroScape

Shadows of Brimstone is pretty good too, though requires a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    If you have the Golden Mushroom Kingdom mini-expansion, this becomes more true.
    I have - but I thought I should get some games of the base game played before I tried the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Star Realms
    That's a good game.

My son calls it "Space Dominion" - I think it sits more halfway between Dominion and Magic the Gathering.

Dominion is still my favourite card game though.

Finally got around to getting Scythe but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Miniature Wargames:

Warmachine/Hordes
    Firestorm Armada
    Anima Tactics
    Min-wargames look like fun. I'll play them eventually, one day. I hope.

For me:

Clue
    Whodunit
    Castle Ravenloft
    Talisman
    Arkham Horror
    Hero Quest
    Elder Sign
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I played Scythe for the first time last night. Fantastic game - I can see why there's so much hype.

I would totally get it, but I know deep down that it's a bit too long and heavy for my family to play it with me - not really that heavy, but still a bit too heavy for them to agree to it.

And a guy the board game group I play with already has it - with upgraded resources and coins and the bigger board - so we'd never use my copy there.