Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I have tons of board games (no space!) and play every week. Some of my favorites are:
    - Twilight Imperium 4 - grandiose sci-fi space opera that plays in ~8 hours
    - Race for the Galaxy - great role selection sci-fi themed card game
    - Twilight Struggle - cold war themed war game, incredibly tense
    - Lord of the Rings LCG - great with one or two players, some scenarios are extremely tough
    - Puerto Rico - my favorite classic Euro board game
    - Paths of Glory - my favorite wargame, covers the entire WW1
    - Marvel VS 2PCG - my top superhero themed card game
    - Game of Thrones 2nd edition - for fans of the the TV show this is a superb strategy board game
    - The Resistance - great hidden roles party game

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    "Rise!"

*BeastieRunner casts THREAD NECROMANCY*

Any of you have good recommendations for legacy games?
    Gloomhaven!

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    - Puerto Rico - my favorite classic Euro board game
    I got that in the last UK Maths trade over on Bard Game Geek. Played it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

These days I and others in my board game group are buying new games so often that we usually play something new, so it's hard to think in terms of favourites anymore, but ones I've discovered and loved since my previous posts are:
    Istanbul
    Power Grid
    Stone Age
    Friday
    Quacks of Quedlinburg
    Quest for El Dorado
    Concordia
    Barenpark
    Great Western Trail
    Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
    Aeon's End
    NMBR 9
    Dice Forge
    6 Nimmt
    Deep Sea Adventure

I just started playing Stuffed Fables with my wife and daughter. So far it's a pretty good way to introduce RPG/Dungeon Crawler type games to my 6 Year Old.

She's really interested in Dungeons and Dragons (she loves looking at The Monster Manual) but I don't think she's ready to deal with all the mechanics yet.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Blood Bowl was by far my favorite. The simple joy of one of me dwarf team's deathrollers destroying an opponent never got old.
    Check out my new action comedy comic Supermom. Superhero Voltra is out to stop her archnemesis from taking over the world. There's just one problem: she's pregnant... and he's the father.

Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986r..._Pack.pdf/file

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I just started playing Stuffed Fables with my wife and daughter. So far it's a pretty good way to introduce RPG/Dungeon Crawler type games to my 6 Year Old.

She's really interested in Dungeons and Dragons (she loves looking at The Monster Manual) but I don't think she's ready to deal with all the mechanics yet.
    Stuffed Fables is the best! We're wrapping up our first playthrough as a family and now the youngest want to learn to play. The oldest are now interested in playing Mice & Mystics.

Stuffed Fables is such a great game and a great way to introduce a bunch of little ones to the hobby.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Gloomhaven!
    That, I've read, can be intimating for even some huge gamers. It looks cool but pretty expensive. I would have some light gamers in my group, would you suggest it even then?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

That, I've read, can be intimating for even some huge gamers. It looks cool but pretty expensive. I would have some light gamers in my group, would you suggest it even then?
    No, for a group with light gamers I would not recommend it. In that case, better to go with something like Pandemic Legacy.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Epic Spells Wars is our go to game now. The third expansion dropped earlier this year.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

No, for a group with light gamers I would not recommend it. In that case, better to go with something like Pandemic Legacy.
    MY goal is to convert them to a tabletop RPG at some point. Do you thing that will get them there?

I've become obsessed with board games. Not that I ever didn't love them, but just didn't have as much opportunity to play the older I got. Cut to last year where some friends of mine from work started having Board Game Night every couple of weeks, and I'm having a blast.

Some of the games I've gotten over the last year that I really enjoy:

-Cards Against Humanity
    -Codenames
    -Coup
    -Dead of Winter
    -Eldritch Horror
    -Flash Point: Fire Rescue
    -Fury of Dracula
    -It: Evil Below
    -Le Neckbeard
    -Mice & Mystics
    -Munchkin
    -Root (+Riverfolk expansion)
    -Sheriff of Nottingham (+Merry Men expansion)
    -Terror Below

And it's not like I'm the only one supplying games, one of my other BGNers is just as much of a keener as I am. She's brought us fun games like Arkham Horror, Betrayal: Legacy, Catan, Construction & Corruption, Loonacy: Retro, Too Many Poops, and more. She has Scythe too, looking forward to that.

The list of games I want to get is crazy long. I've watched most of (ugh) Wil Weaton's TableTop series, and am currently working my way through the Game the Game series with Rebecca Scott.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

MY goal is to convert them to a tabletop RPG at some point. Do you thing that will get them there?
    Well, Gloomhaven is daunting for non hardcore gamers. Pandemic Legacy is more of a family game, very accessible and fun - but it does not have any RPG elements.

For a Legacy game with RPG elements and that's more accessible than Gloomhaven, take a look at Dragonfire:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardg...501/dragonfire

Well, Gloomhaven is daunting for non hardcore gamers. Pandemic Legacy is more of a family game, very accessible and fun - but it does not have any RPG elements.

For a Legacy game with RPG elements and that's more accessible than Gloomhaven, take a look at Dragonfire:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardg...501/dragonfire
    That looks cool.

I've been reading good things about converting new and light gamers with Betrayal: Legacy to RPGs. I've watched the Game the Game series and there was a lot of opportunities for LARPing that the designer put in the game. Have you played that one?

I just learned that Joe Manganiello, Big Show from WWE, & Terry Killam from SNL run the LA D & D hub.

I want to play with them!

That looks cool.

I've been reading good things about converting new and light gamers with Betrayal: Legacy to RPGs. I've watched the Game the Game series and there was a lot of opportunities for LARPing that the designer put in the game. Have you played that one?
    I have not. I have played the regular Betrayal at House on the Hill and I wasn’t too impressed (mainly because you wander around a mansion with no known objective or endgame and then suddenly something gets drawn and you know what the goal is), BUT: a) Everyone else seemed to really enjoy the game, b) I am traditionally more a fan of board games than RPGs, and to really enjoy BHH I think you really need to enjoy the roleplaying element of the game.

Light board games (non legacy though) that have a strong roleplaying element include Tales of the Arabian Nights, Sheriff of Nottingham, Fog of Love, T.I.M.E. Stories.

There is a game that’s just come out (I haven’t played it) that I think might interest you. It is legacy, narrative and roleplaying driven - The King’s Dilemma:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/.../kings-dilemma
    And does not look too complicated.