Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I have not. I have played the regular Betrayal at House on the Hill and I wasn’t too impressed (mainly because you wander around a mansion with no known objective or endgame and then suddenly something gets drawn and you know what the goal is), BUT: a) Everyone else seemed to really enjoy the game, b) I am traditionally more a fan of board games than RPGs, and to really enjoy BHH I think you really need to enjoy the roleplaying element of the game.

Light board games (non legacy though) that have a strong roleplaying element include Tales of the Arabian Nights, Sheriff of Nottingham, Fog of Love, T.I.M.E. Stories.

There is a game that’s just come out (I haven’t played it) that I think might interest you. It is legacy, narrative and roleplaying driven - The King’s Dilemma:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/.../kings-dilemma
    And does not look too complicated.
    In the cue! Thank you.

Additionaly, the group decided on Betrayal Legacy. So I guess we're gonna run 2 legacy games this year!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not sure if you know this alternate version of the game, with the D&D theme (non legacy though):
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...l-baldurs-gate

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    For me:

Clue
    Whodunit
    Castle Ravenloft
    Talisman
    Arkham Horror
    Hero Quest
    Elder Sign
    Updating my post-

Castle Ravenloft
    Horrified
    Thunderbirds
    Star Trek: The Dice Game
    Arkham Horror
    Elder Sign
    Clue
    Talisman
    Hero Quest
    Whodunit
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I bought Watergate this weekend. For fans of Twilight Struggle this is, IMO, a must.

I bought Watergate this weekend. For fans of Twilight Struggle this is, IMO, a must.
    I have that game and 13 Days on my wish list.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I have that game and 13 Days on my wish list.
    Watergate is super easy to pick up. It's a less complex and shorter experience than Twilight Struggle, but scratches the same itch.

I have not. I have played the regular Betrayal at House on the Hill and I wasn’t too impressed (mainly because you wander around a mansion with no known objective or endgame and then suddenly something gets drawn and you know what the goal is), BUT: a) Everyone else seemed to really enjoy the game, b) I am traditionally more a fan of board games than RPGs, and to really enjoy BHH I think you really need to enjoy the roleplaying element of the game
    That was my experience of Betrayal too.

Between that and Arkham Horror the Card Game, I've realised I need to avoid any games which rely on narrative/role playing to be fun because I just don't care enough about the narrative.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm a big tabletop role-player, not playing Dungeons and Dragons at the moment but my group recently finished a Tales from the Loop campaign. We're hoping to move on to Things from The Flood later, but for now we're deciding on our next game. It's looking like The Expanse RPG or possibly a new D&D campaign, but they seem to be interested in some of my homebrew games. I don't think they're done cooking yet unfortunately.

I'm not as big a boardgamer as I'd like to be. I always seem to have a harder time getting people to try single game experiences, so I'm often just left admiring the board design. As is I already have three Kickstarted games that I can't find anyone to play with. At least the minatures are useful for Tabletop RPGs.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Amazing Member

Tabletop roleplaying is definitely my go-to. Monopoly is a pretty fun choice when you have company.

All-New Member

Forbidden Island
    Chinese Chess
    Abyss

I’ve been playing Lord of the Rings LCG, it’s great!

Been awhile since I got some board gamers together (only partially for the obvious reasons) but last time we played Space Base, which I really enjoy.

But I've been a keeper for a biweekly game of Monster of the Week for the past month or so online and that's been going pretty well.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Been awhile since I got some board gamers together (only partially for the obvious reasons) but last time we played Space Base, which I really enjoy.

But I've been a keeper for a biweekly game of Monster of the Week for the past month or so online and that's been going pretty well.
    I've been wanting to run Monster of the Week for a while now, but I haven't been able to find anyone interest (even before the pandemic). It's a very simple system that I'd love to test out with a few people, but I just can't find anyone whose interested in the concept. Or if I do, they'd rather I somehow make it work in 5e. I get not wanting to invest too much time in new systems, but PBTA games don't take up a lot of brain space.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I've been wanting to run Monster of the Week for a while now, but I haven't been able to find anyone interest (even before the pandemic). It's a very simple system that I'd love to test out with a few people, but I just can't find anyone whose interested in the concept. Or if I do, they'd rather I somehow make it work in 5e. I get not wanting to invest too much time in new systems, but PBTA games don't take up a lot of brain space.
    Yeah, the un-crunchiness of them is why I want to play them. You roll two D6s and add your relevant stat and you've either succeed, succeed with a cost, or fail and things get worse

I'm also a player in a Masks game and that's pretty fun, too. Haven't really gotten to too much shifting labels, though.

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

My local group of nerds hosted (well, we used to. It's currently a "to be determined" sort of a thing) a weekly board-game meet-up in a local library. And I used to work in a game and toy shop, so I've spent the last few years getting into board game culture.

I've played a lot of great games, but if I had to pick a favourite, it's going to be "Seven Wonders". It's one of the only games I've ever bought for myself, because I love it so much (and it was a great investment, because it's one of those games that just gets played whenever we had a meet-up). As a game, every aspect of it just works for me.

But lately, I've been falling in love with "Dice Forge". That's just fantastic.

And "Libertalia" is another one that I've been trying to track down, because I heard they were doing a new run of it this year (the only one I've ever seen in the wild is a $400 copy on Amazon. Like, I want a copy, but not that badly).
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.