Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    My local group of nerds hosted (well, we used to. It's currently a "to be determined" sort of a thing) a weekly board-game meet-up in a local library. And I used to work in a game and toy shop, so I've spent the last few years getting into board game culture.

I've played a lot of great games, but if I had to pick a favourite, it's going to be "Seven Wonders". It's one of the only games I've ever bought for myself, because I love it so much (and it was a great investment, because it's one of those games that just gets played whenever we had a meet-up). As a game, every aspect of it just works for me.

But lately, I've been falling in love with "Dice Forge". That's just fantastic.

And "Libertalia" is another one that I've been trying to track down, because I heard they were doing a new run of it this year (the only one I've ever seen in the wild is a $400 copy on Amazon. Like, I want a copy, but not that badly).
    7 Wonders Duel is pretty good too

Settlers of Catan without a doubt. Then Risk Monopoly. Axis and Allies is also really great.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Yeah, the un-crunchiness of them is why I want to play them. You roll two D6s and add your relevant stat and you've either succeed, succeed with a cost, or fail and things get worse

I'm also a player in a Masks game and that's pretty fun, too. Haven't really gotten to too much shifting labels, though.
    As someone who had to endure years of THAC0, I'm always down for a more chewy experience. PBTA is easy to pick up, and just get into. The simple mechanics, and the fact that players can influence the game world moreso than in other systems makes it something on the tabletop bucket list for me. One day I'll find a group in which I'm not default game master.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I love them classics, Backgammon, Go and Mancala.

Talisman is also a great game. I played this a lot in my teenage years but pretty much forgot about it because I never had anyone to play with the last few years. But I just found out this is on the Switch and I got it and have logged like ten hours in three days. Really cutting into my comic book time.

it is great on the Switch. plays just like the board game and there are so many character packs and expansions sets it really makes it worth it. Kind of a money drain getting every thing but there is a bundle price. but if you cant swing that the base games comes with three expansions and the character packs are only 4.50 so you can get one or two extra packs to try new guys.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Dominion is my favourite (sort-of) board game, but because it scales so well the more expansions you have, and involves so much shuffling, it's become way more convenient to play the online version than actually get the boxes out.

Played Kemet with my board games group this week - great game that encourages attacking your opponents

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I would say, Why not?
    By that logic, my latest fave game would be City of Mist. It's an urban fantasy/detective noir roleplaying game where you play a Rift, a person endowed with the powers of a being out of myth, fable or fairytale. It's got a cool concept and an interesting system.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    By that logic, my latest fave game would be City of Mist. It's an urban fantasy/detective noir roleplaying game where you play a Rift, a person endowed with the powers of a being out of myth, fable or fairytale. It's got a cool concept and an interesting system.
    How does it compare to other PbtA games?

It's been a few years, so here are some newer favorites from my gaming group:

Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Amazons - Fully co-op game where you play as Diana and other Amazons and try to protect Themyscira from Cheetah, Ares, and Circe. Each villain plays differently and you have to utilize teamwork to defend the island and stop their evil schemes.

Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid - We're all late 20's/early 30's in our gaming group, so we're of the ripe age to have grown up with Power Rangers. This is a fun co-op game which uses a lot of different cards to defeat Putties and various monsters.

Grimm Forest - This one's a cute bidding/bluffing game that involves fairytale tropes. You play as a Pig who is trying to build three houses before the other players. We're all fans of bidding & bluffing, so this game fits our tastes quite well.

X-Men: Mutant Insurrection - Another licensed game and another co-op. This is a dice-rolling game where you play as an X-Man and try to finish various objectives. There's a loose story in a sort of campaign, but the gameplay is really simple and fun, and there's an emphasis on teamwork and relationships.

Root - A VERY cute faction-based strategy game that is perhaps the heaviest in terms of gameplay. There's also a great digital version that we've been playing a lot more lately.

Lords of Waterdeep - A Dungeons & Dragons-themed "worker placement" game that is really easy to learn. This is a popular one in our game group.

I'm very into Everdell right now. A fun worker placement game with a unique economy and some of the absolute most beautiful components ever.

There are two more I have been putting a lote of time in. Raiders of the North Sea. And Ticket to Ride. I am very in love with Ticket to Ride. i will play this all day

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I'm very into Everdell right now. A fun worker placement game with a unique economy and some of the absolute most beautiful components ever.
    My friend just got this game and I can't agree more. Utterly gorgeous design all around. I can't wait to play it!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

well i guess i need to jump here. my list:

shadows of brimstone: probably my favorite dungeon crawler. got 2 of the 3 core sets, some bosses, some enemy packs and a few card packs. planning to get more since the feudel village is dropping next month.

robinson crueso: fun little worker placement game. hard but worth playing.

dice throne and dice throne adventures: been playing these all week. my nephews love the competitive games and i'm digging "adventures".

star realms: bought the base and the coloy wars sets. simple to learn and wild to play.

hostage negotiator: got back into this after buying the "crime wave" expansion. one of the best solo games you can get. and there's a campaign mode i need to cop.

friday: another great solo game that i played the crap out of due the blizzard here in texas.

heroes of terrinoth: great game. my only issue is that because it didn't sell well, there are no expansions for it.

7th continent: lovely take on dungeon crawl/choose your own adventure type games. hard but lots of replayablity.

gonna get dungeon alliance for another dungeon crawler. considered getting gloomhaven and mage knight but..........something always stops me from committing to getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    well i guess i need to jump here. my list:

shadows of brimstone: probably my favorite dungeon crawler. got 2 of the 3 core sets, some bosses, some enemy packs and a few card packs. planning to get more since the feudel village is dropping next month.

robinson crueso: fun little worker placement game. hard but worth playing.

dice throne and dice throne adventures: been playing these all week. my nephews love the competitive games and i'm digging "adventures".

star realms: bought the base and the coloy wars sets. simple to learn and wild to play.

hostage negotiator: got back into this after buying the "crime wave" expansion. one of the best solo games you can get. and there's a campaign mode i need to cop.

friday: another great solo game that i played the crap out of due the blizzard here in texas.

heroes of terrinoth: great game. my only issue is that because it didn't sell well, there are no expansions for it.

7th continent: lovely take on dungeon crawl/choose your own adventure type games. hard but lots of replayablity.

gonna get dungeon alliance for another dungeon crawler. considered getting gloomhaven and mage knight but..........something always stops me from committing to getting them.
    I play heavy games. I've owned Mage Knight for about 2 years and I've never touched it.......