Thread: Darkhawk

Default Darkhawk

With the new Darkhawk returning in a new mini-series I got to wondering if any of his comic had been collected. If so how many trades are there and how many issues did the trade collect?

Unfortunately there is only one poor orphaned Darkhawk Classic tpb collecting the first 9 issues. The original Darkhawk series ran 50 issues plus annuals, and he popped up in various other mags. For some reason it (and Sleepwalker) gets made fun of as example of 90s excess/fluff/crap but it was a very good book with normal Marvel-style art, basically a 90s answer to how Nova was rolled-out in the 70s.

There was a War of Kings-era Darkhawk reboot that was collected in all the WoK trades.
    Last edited by Orion; 05-20-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

I have only read the first issues of the original series so far,in the first stories it reminded me a lot of the Spider-Man stories in some ways.Hobgoblin was for exemple the first villain of this series.Itīs cool that now Darkhawk is more of a cosmic super hero from what i know.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I have only read the first issues of the original series so far,in the first stories it reminded me a lot of the Spider-Man stories in some ways.Hobgoblin was for exemple the first villain of this series.Itīs cool that now Darkhawk is more of a cosmic super hero from what i know.
    You reminded me to get back to a stack of the original Darkhawk which to me was a carryover from Spiderman and tech wise Ironman. I think the reason for some of the ridicule was beating the trope of teen hero to death at a time when teen readership was dwindling.Many DC fans are complaining about Sideways as being too much like Spiderman years later is sort of funny these days. The fact that Darkhawk is becoming more Cosmic doesn't surprise me if the suit of armour is tech from an alien or interdimensional origin as I understand it. Something about a Cornfield of Crows or a Fluff of Feathers working behind the scenes. Overall an OK pulp kind of start and the mini tied into War of Kings wasn't too bad at all.
    Last edited by alton; 07-10-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Unfortunately there is only one poor orphaned Darkhawk Classic tpb collecting the first 9 issues. The original Darkhawk series ran 50 issues plus annuals, and he popped up in various other mags. For some reason it (and Sleepwalker) gets made fun of as example of 90s excess/fluff/crap but it was a very good book with normal Marvel-style art, basically a 90s answer to how Nova was rolled-out in the 70s.

There was a War of Kings-era Darkhawk reboot that was collected in all the WoK trades.
    We may get more Darkhawk if the upcoming Quasar is any hint.
    Both, along with others, were part of the "______"Classics TPB line which ended fairly quickly.
    Quasar's series is getting a volume 2 but by another name, Quasar Cosmos in Collision, picking up from Quasar Classics volume 1.

So we could get a Darkhawk Classic vol.2 by another name. Also hoping for Ghost Rider Danny Ketch Classic vol.3 by some other name.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    We may get more Darkhawk if the upcoming Quasar is any hint.
    Both, along with others, were part of the "______"Classics TPB line which ended fairly quickly.
    Quasar's series is getting a volume 2 but by another name, Quasar Cosmos in Collision, picking up from Quasar Classics volume 1.

So we could get a Darkhawk Classic vol.2 by another name. Also hoping for Ghost Rider Danny Ketch Classic vol.3 by some other name.
    Yes, that would be great. There is a ton of good early 90s material that has never seen the light of day, although there has been a small uptick in recent years of stuff you would never have guessed we'd see (Secret Defenders and Warlock & Infinity Watch collected completely come to mind). Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, the New Warriors spin-offs (Night Thrasher, Nova vol. 3, etc), What If vol. 2, the 2099 line, Nomad, Wonder Man, Silver Sable...lots of deserving stuff.

It's hard to tell what the deal is with Ghost Rider - there's obviously some ongoing legal issues preventing classic collections as there is no way we wouldn't have gotten Epics of the original Johnny Blaze series by this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    You reminded me to get back to a stack of the original Darkhawk which to me was a carryover from Spiderman and tech wise Ironman. I think the reason for some of the ridicule was beating the trope of teen hero to death at a time when teen readership was dwindling.Many DC fans are complaining about Sideways as being too much like Spiderman years later is sort of funny these days. The fact that Darkhawk is becoming more Cosmic doesn't surprise me if the suit of armour is tech from an alien or interdimensional origin as I understand it. Something about a Cornfield of Crows or a Fluff of Feathers working behind the scenes. Overall an OK pulp kind of start and the mini tied into War of Kings wasn't too bad at all.
    I only read the first stories from Darkhawk from the 90s.
    I did not even read untill the origin of the armor was explained,in the first stories that was a mystery.
    Darkhawk being curently a cosmic super hero is way better that like it was in the first stories that had the character as a teen super hero.
    It looked like early 90s had the trope teen spread across many new comic books (Super Boy,Impusle,New Warriors,DarkHawk)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I only read the first stories from Darkhawk from the 90s.
    I did not even read untill the origin of the armor was explained,in the first stories that was a mystery.
    Darkhawk being curently a cosmic super hero is way better that like it was in the first stories that had the character as a teen super hero.
    It looked like early 90s had the trope teen spread across many new comic books (Super Boy,Impusle,New Warriors,DarkHawk)
    As his initial volume 1 series progressed all the groundwork for his cosmic ties were laid out here. It's not like this is a retcon that Darkhawk is cosmically tied now in present stories.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    As his initial volume 1 series progressed all the groundwork for his cosmic ties were laid out here. It's not like this is a retcon that Darkhawk is cosmically tied now in present stories.
    Thanks for the info.
    I did just read the first stories of DarkHawk,the first story arc,so i did not knew that.