Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

I understand why people would want a collector's issue and I get what MajorHoy is saying but what I meant is if you were invested for 50 issues then I expect you to carry on particularly those who defended this run and insisted it was genius. King has said that the story isn't over and they might still tie the knot. If it has been as good as the hype then wedding or no wedding it's still a good read. With comics at times it's the journey that's important since retcons and new writers with new ideas are common place.

I suppose I can see how feeling Betrayed or Scammed can lead to dropping though personally I feel they dropped enough hints to clue us in that it wasn't going to happen legitimately with the set up at the time.

King's Batman is baffling. The guy is a good writer. A great writer .... usually. I can't believe it's the same guy who wrote Mister Miracle that's putting this out or that the guy who co-wrote Grayson can wrote Nightwing in Batman so badly.
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-04-2018 at 09:07 PM.

I'm glad for every "investor" who lost money on Batman #50
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

I was willing to give King the benefit of the doubt until hearing of that podcast and learning it was HIS idea to shoot Nightwing in the head and just leave the mess for whoever to clean up. Tom King should be grateful that Dick Grayson put him on the map; Omega Men wouldn't have bought him the Batman book. It's even worse that none of the Bat-Family has even noticed (well, Barbara went to see him, but notice that it was in Dick's book--not hers--so it was on his dime. Alfred, bless him forever, went to see him). But none of the others have--to my knowledge--said a word about it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I understand why people would want a collector's issue and I get what MajorHoy is saying but what I meant is if you were invested for 50 issues then I expect you to carry on particularly those who defended this run and insisted it was genius. King has said that the story isn't over and they might still tie the knot. If it has been as good as the hype then wedding or no wedding it's still a good read. With comics at times it's the journey that's important since retcons and new writers with new ideas are common place.

I suppose I can see how feeling Betrayed or Scammed can lead to dropping though personally I feel they dropped enough hints to clue us in that it wasn't going to happen legitimately with the set up at the time.

King's Batman is baffling. The guy is a good writer. A great writer .... usually. I can't believe it's the same guy who wrote Mister Miracle that's putting this out or that the guy who co-wrote Grayson can wrote Nightwing in Batman so badly.
    All of this. I agree with all of this particularly being befuddled over why anyone didn't notice all the signs the wedding wasn't happening. Anybody who's had to spend a weekend watching the Hallmark Channel knew that the wedding wasn't going to happen. Anyone who's nursed a friend or family member through a breakup, especially one where the couple lived together, should have been catching all the signs and going, "Oh. Oh, that's bad. End this now before you get hurt. Don't- of course you are. Jesus. Let me go stock up on booze, the fancy Kleenx with lotion, and que up Hallmark."

And yeah, King's Batman is utterly baffling because it's so...bad is not the term. It's painfully, utterly redundant. Aside from jury duty, there's nothing that hasn't been done before in fewer issues with more emotional impact. It's frustrating because King used to be a good writer and he's just not anymore. It happens. Maybe plot will show up. But based on his saying Selina's coming back in #75, it's much more likely we'll get more of the same slop. As it is, I'm pretty happy I just read it at the library and only waste my tax dollars on it instead of my spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I was willing to give King the benefit of the doubt until hearing of that podcast and learning it was HIS idea to shoot Nightwing in the head and just leave the mess for whoever to clean up. Tom King should be grateful that Dick Grayson put him on the map; Omega Men wouldn't have bought him the Batman book. It's even worse that none of the Bat-Family has even noticed (well, Barbara went to see him, but notice that it was in Dick's book--not hers--so it was on his dime. Alfred, bless him forever, went to see him). But none of the others have--to my knowledge--said a word about it.
    To be fair it's up to Lobdell to write the family checking in on Dick since he is the current writer.

I'm not buying King's Batman anymore after Nightwing was derailed. The run has been fairly enjoyable in an I can't believe what I'm reading way but I hate the Ric thing and I feel that by spending cash I'm part of the hype train that's responsible for current Tom King.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    All of this. I agree with all of this particularly being befuddled over why anyone didn't notice all the signs the wedding wasn't happening. Anybody who's had to spend a weekend watching the Hallmark Channel knew that the wedding wasn't going to happen. Anyone who's nursed a friend or family member through a breakup, especially one where the couple lived together, should have been catching all the signs and going, "Oh. Oh, that's bad. End this now before you get hurt. Don't- of course you are. Jesus. Let me go stock up on booze, the fancy Kleenx with lotion, and que up Hallmark."

And yeah, King's Batman is utterly baffling because it's so...bad is not the term. It's painfully, utterly redundant. Aside from jury duty, there's nothing that hasn't been done before in fewer issues with more emotional impact. It's frustrating because King used to be a good writer and he's just not anymore. It happens. Maybe plot will show up. But based on his saying Selina's coming back in #75, it's much more likely we'll get more of the same slop. As it is, I'm pretty happy I just read it at the library and only waste my tax dollars on it instead of my spending money.
    The whole it's Batman and Catwoman getting married not Bruce and Selina was a huge red flag. Honestly even if 50 had gone through. A wedding on a dirty rooftop overseen by a drunk judge they just dug up from a bar!? Seems like that's even worse than no wedding. That's a joke.

The thing that gets me about this run is that King kept saying he was going to give us something we've never seen before. Unless he meant the intense promotion for a Batman wedding like you said we've seen it all before.
    I don't get how he can keep saying that when it's so not true.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The whole it's Batman and Catwoman getting married not Bruce and Selina was a huge red flag. Honestly even if 50 had gone through. A wedding on a dirty rooftop overseen by a drunk judge they just dug up from a bar!? Seems like that's even worse than no wedding. That's a joke.

The thing that gets me about this run is that King kept saying he was going to give us something we've never seen before. Unless he meant the intense promotion for a Batman wedding like you said we've seen it all before.
    I don't get how he can keep saying that when it's so not true.
    Yeah, King's given us something we've never seen before--yet another over-hyped "creator."

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    . . . I suppose I can see how feeling Betrayed or Scammed can lead to dropping though personally I feel they dropped enough hints to clue us in that it wasn't going to happen legitimately with the set up at the time . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    I don't how much of the blame for a non-wedding falls on King, though. Story-wise, yeah, it makes sense that it didn't happen.
    I know in my mind, the bigger share of the blame lands at DC's doorstep for all the DEALER-SPECIFIC variant covers and all the in-store hype that DC itself (not King) was promoting/backing for the "event". It sounded like DC was pulling out all the stops for something they knew wasn't going to happen in the first place. That's why some people might feel betrayed and that DC played them for fools.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't how much of the blame for a non-wedding falls on King, though. Story-wise, yeah, it makes sense that it didn't happen.
    I know in my mind, the bigger share of the blame lands at DC's doorstep for all the DEALER-SPECIFIC variant covers and all the in-store hype that DC itself (not King) was promoting/backing for the "event". It sounded like DC was pulling out all the stops for something they knew wasn't going to happen in the first place. That's why some people might feel betrayed and that DC played them for fools.
    I didn't go in for all that because DC has been fizzling out stuff like this for decades. Blessed are they who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed.