Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    What kind of fan buys a comic just for a pairing/wedding?
    I think it was more that King sold them on the idea the wedding was going to happen, and then DC promoted the hell out of it (with a gazillion variant covers that could be ordered specifically for individual stores, etc.), only to yank the table cloth off A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE ISSUE WOULD BE ON SALE IN STORES!
    It just seemed like a totally crass move the way DC went out of its way to promote this when they knew damn well what was going to ACTUALLY happen in that over-blown issue. All they wanted was the $$$'s and publicity. Screw the fans / readers / retailers who had been supporting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    What kind of fan buys a comic just for a pairing/wedding?
    ...lots of people. The issue would be a collector's item if it's Batman's wedding. Even leading up to it, people are invested in a relationship and would buy the issues with it. Not even sure why this is a question when the answer is not new or shocking.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    The issue would be a collector's item if it's Batman's wedding.
    Not really a factor for those people who only bought a single copy. It was only a problem for those people who were silly enough to buy multiple copies for speculative purposes.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Not really a factor for those people who only bought a single copy. It was only a problem for those people who were silly enough to buy multiple copies for speculative purposes.
    I've never bought comics or any other "collectible" for speculation. If I like it and want it, it gets added to the pile. Trying to speculate on comics is like buying a lottery ticket--you have a better chance of getting eaten by a shark in Missouri.

Or who bought the series (and issues from other books that supposedly tied-in to this story) for several issues worth only because they expected there would actually be the wedding in the 50th issue.
    (Thankfully, I didn't do that. I bought the one Batman issue that featured Selina in her various outfits over the decades and the Batgirl vs. Riddler one-shot because it was Batgirl.)

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I've never bought comics or any other "collectible" for speculation. If I like it and want it, it gets added to the pile. Trying to speculate on comics is like buying a lottery ticket--you have a better chance of getting eaten by a shark in Missouri.
    100% in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or who bought the series (and issues from other books that supposedly tied-in to this story) for several issues worth only because they expected there would actually be the wedding in the 50th issue.
    I guess I just assume nothing is definite until it actually happens in comic-book land (and sometimes not even then ).

I guess I just assume nothing is definite until it actually happens in comic-book land (and sometimes not even then ).
    Hey, it would have been one thing for King to throw in his curveball with #50, but DC went way overboard in how they were promoting / marketing the non-event! DC promotions made it seem more likely that it was going to happen just to grab all that money from suckers (readers and the comic book shops) who believed them!

Where did I say it was a problem? I answered why people would buy it. Don't drag me into other arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    Where did I say it was a problem? I answered why people would buy it. Don't drag me into other arguments.
    First of all, tone down the attitude. Secondly, I didn't state you had a problem with it, only that others did (but shouldn't have, IMO).

Incredible Member

You kinda killed the whole thread with the authoritarian tone there bud.

BANNED

I was buying the book for awhile, and actually liking it, but I'm going to trade-waiting.

Incredible Member

Just saw the page form the Secret Files one shot where Bruce is asking Alfred if he's enough, I just can't figure out how people aren't sick and tired of this insecure wreck filling in for where Batman should be. I assume King is projecting his own insecurities onto the character but that doesn't work for Batman. He may have MOMENTS of doubt but we've now had 57 issues of doubt a depression and it's gotten so damn old.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Just saw the page form the Secret Files one shot where Bruce is asking Alfred if he's enough, I just can't figure out how people aren't sick and tired of this insecure wreck filling in for where Batman should be. I assume King is projecting his own insecurities onto the character but that doesn't work for Batman. He may have MOMENTS of doubt but we've now had 57 issues of doubt a depression and it's gotten so damn old.
    Evidently Batman and stories like HiC show these types of stories aren't for him, which is okay but I don't understand why DC is pushing these types of stories on him. With the amount of filler and padding his Batman run seems to have I find it hard to believe he planned 100 issues or thought it would take that long to tell this story.

King did one of the DS War one shots for GL and that was utterly fantastic and I am constantly head scratching whenever I read his Batman stuff if this is the same writer.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I liked Grayson, Omega Men & Mr. Miracle but I stopped regularly picking up Batman during the War Of Jokes and Riddles and will not be buying after the wedding/Head Shot. HIC just didn’t sit well with me on mixing a story about mental health recovery mixed with a murder mystery. His portrayal of the Bat Family is the same as Scott Snyder relying on Nostalgia but doing everything they can to create a clear seperation and essentially write him as existing in his own elewords