Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

If you don’t enjoy the threads then why do you keep getting on them? That is, after all the same logic you just used for complaining about this run. The sales aren’t through the roof and let’s wait and see if they are able to stay where they are after the marriage issue. As for the acclaim, that’s baffling. I guess you guys just care about concepts and not actual writing because King’s is just bad. The forum isn’t indicative of a large sample size, that’s true. That could go for either side of the argument though. A lot of people who hate King still buy the run because it’s Batman and they’ll continue to do so. Again, the sales don’t prove that this is a good run, it proves that this is a popular character though.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    If you don’t enjoy the threads then why do you keep getting on them? That is, after all the same logic you just used for complaining about this run. The sales aren’t through the roof and let’s wait and see if they are able to stay where they are after the marriage issue. As for the acclaim, that’s baffling. I guess you guys just care about concepts and not actual writing because King’s is just bad. The forum isn’t indicative of a large sample size, that’s true. That could go for either side of the argument though. A lot of people who hate King still buy the run because it’s Batman and they’ll continue to do so. Again, the sales don’t prove that this is a good run, it proves that this is a popular character though.
    If they don't drop significantly, if at all, are you going to be disappointed? That means you will be stuck with King for 50 more issues.

Sales are all DC cares about, because they are pushing a product. If the product sells, the product is successful. Some of the critical acclaim doesn't hurt either, and not all the positive reviews this run gets all over the web to go along with the negative ones are written by people who cannot assess writing and care only about concepts.

Also does Batman sell because he's just that popular and allows writers to make names for themselves, or is he just that popular because he gets writers who tell good stories with him and make him popular? It's probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

Incredible Member

Yes I will. Lol. I still have old trades though so that’s something. I’m sure you’re right that it is a little from both columns.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I don't keep getting on them. I've recently posted in the last two threads for issues of the book and here but before that I didn't bother looking at them for literally months at a time.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    And yet sales and critical acclaim continue to pour in. ��
    Depends on to what you compare the sales, Pre Rebirth Sales were (even in the in the Gordan as Robo-Batman era) consitently above 100K, Kings is for the most part just selling in the 90K range and the book was iirc one of the first to drop below the pre Rebirth Numbers.

Fantastic Member

so how is he going to use bruce without the selina subplot if he continues writing him how he is doing it now he will not make it by 70

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Depends on to what you compare the sales, Pre Rebirth Sales were (even in the in the Gordan as Robo-Batman era) consitently above 100K, Kings is for the most part just selling in the 90K range and the book was iirc one of the first to drop below the pre Rebirth Numbers.
    Snyder's numbers were the exception for Batman comics though and not the rule as far as I remember. Before Snyder I can't remember anyone doing 100K in sales consistently so the fact that King is only pulling 90K means little. (I wish some of the low seller pulled those kinds of numbers on the regular.)It's still pretty decent sales for a book in the current market and that's really the bottom line for DC. Only they know what their expectations for books are and fans are not privy to that information so all we really have is speculation. Heck we really don't even have actual concrete sales numbers to work with just the numbers Diamond puts out which are not really all that helpful in determining anything.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Snyder's numbers were the exception for Batman comics though and not the rule as far as I remember. Before Snyder I can't remember anyone doing 100K in sales consistently so the fact that King is only pulling 90K means little. (I wish some of the low seller pulled those kinds of numbers on the regular.)It's still pretty decent sales for a book in the current market and that's really the bottom line for DC. Only they know what their expectations for books are and fans are not privy to that information so all we really have is speculation. Heck we really don't even have actual concrete sales numbers to work with just the numbers Diamond puts out which are not really all that helpful in determining anything.
    This is a really excellent point that I don't see discussed very often - the question of why, specifically, Snyder managed to keep Batman sales so much higher than they were before Flashpoint. There's something about Snyder that really pushes sales, and I can't figure it out (initial reports on Justice League confirm this).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    This is a really excellent point that I don't see discussed very often - the question of why, specifically, Snyder managed to keep Batman sales so much higher than they were before Flashpoint. There's something about Snyder that really pushes sales, and I can't figure it out (initial reports on Justice League confirm this).
    Simple. Look at the type of story he writes.

The first thing he does in establishing Batman world in New 52, which already attract the old and new reader to see what DC is doing, was to portray Gotham as a dark entity and turn Batman's world upside down by revealing there's a secret society Batman never knew.

The second story he wrote was the return of The Joker who's been missing for a year and alluding to the first death caused by The Joker. People have been wondering what he'll look like and who will die this time.

The third story was a new origin for Batman in this new universe. Half the audience consider it blasphemy to Year One, but they all read it anyway because they wanna know what he can do.

In other words, every story he wrote is not only epic, they matter. They establish something new or change something permanently. At least as permanent as they can be in DC.

By the time Batman Eternal rolled out, he already built a fan base. There are detractors, but not as many as the ones reading to see what else he can add to the Batman mythos.

This continues in Metal where he builds yet another mythos, larger than ever before.

Oh and he's also a good hype man. He's always so excited when announcing a new story, and that makes readers excited.

Snyder and DC marketed the heck out of Batman. But his Batman was also riding a wave after Morrison and it was part of the New 52, which was very intriguing at the time.

Plus the stories were good, Capullo was great, and among the New 52 Batman was the best thing going.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I though about dropping it, but need more Dickbats hopefully it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Simple. Look at the type of story he writes.

The first thing he does in establishing Batman world in New 52, which already attract the old and new reader to see what DC is doing, was to portray Gotham as a dark entity and turn Batman's world upside down by revealing there's a secret society Batman never knew.

The second story he wrote was the return of The Joker who's been missing for a year and alluding to the first death caused by The Joker. People have been wondering what he'll look like and who will die this time.

The third story was a new origin for Batman in this new universe. Half the audience consider it blasphemy to Year One, but they all read it anyway because they wanna know what he can do.

In other words, every story he wrote is not only epic, they matter. They establish something new or change something permanently. At least as permanent as they can be in DC.

By the time Batman Eternal rolled out, he already built a fan base. There are detractors, but not as many as the ones reading to see what else he can add to the Batman mythos.

This continues in Metal where he builds yet another mythos, larger than ever before.

Oh and he's also a good hype man. He's always so excited when announcing a new story, and that makes readers excited.
    I think those are all true, but I still don't see how that equates to 120k sales every month for five years, on a title that didn't do that before. Maybe I'm having trouble because I actually don't like 80% of what he did in the n52, and really didn't enjoy Metal. Ah, well. I'm glad he's popular, because he's a really nice guy and really building the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Snyder and DC marketed the heck out of Batman. But his Batman was also riding a wave after Morrison and it was part of the New 52, which was very intriguing at the time.

Plus the stories were good, Capullo was great, and among the New 52 Batman was the best thing going.
    I don't see how he's riding a wave that Morrison couldn't catch himself? Sales were soft coming out of RIP, leading to the whole launch of the n52 in the first place. Yes, the fans generally thought it was awesome, but Batman and Tec didn't sell anywhere near as many copies as they did in the n52.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think those are all true, but I still don't see how that equates to 120k sales every month for five years, on a title that didn't do that before. Maybe I'm having trouble because I actually don't like 80% of what he did in the n52, and really didn't enjoy Metal. Ah, well. I'm glad he's popular, because he's a really nice guy and really building the community.
    I think he very well may have brought in some fans of his creator owned stuff as well. Still the amount of sales Snyder did on the regular was the exception here not the rule. It was another case of lightening in a bottle and for fans to expect another writer to come in and do those numbers again is a bit strange when it was never, ever something that had occurred before. Batman did well enough in the past but not once did it sell at 100K consistently minus Snyder's run. I'm not saying it couldn't happen again mind you because it very well could someday but to expect it to happen with every single writer after Snyder seems a bit much to assume to me.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-07-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I think he very well may have brought in some fans of his creator owned stuff as well. Still the amount of sales Snyder did on the regular was the exception here not the rule. It was another case of lightening in a bottle and for fans to expect another writer to come in and do those numbers again is a bit strange when it was never, ever something that had occurred before. Batman did well enough in the past but not once did it sell at 100K consistently minus Snyder's run. I'm not saying it couldn't happen again mind you because it very well could someday but to expect it to happen with every single writer after Snyder seems a bit much to assume to me.
    It's the exception for the main Batman title. But I'm betting he'll recapture it for Justice League, since everyone (except me, who really doesn't enjoy it) seems to find it the best things since spreadable butter.

I do think that Snyder has set sales expectations that simply can't be met at this time. Tom King has done surprisingly well, considering he's double shipping and working with more external crossovers than Snyder had to deal with (Monster Men, the Button). Now, certainly someone could come in and do what Snyder did again - but I don't know how. But I wouldn't have predicted Snyder could do it the first time. His Tec run was selling in the 20ks by the time it ended, even though it was dearly critically adored (and loved by me personally). So him not only getting that reboot soar, but MAINTAINING is ridiculously unpredictable.

Fantastic Member

I do not see it the batman title batman is totally different from the competent heroic one in the justice league and everywhere else except for the main batman title where he is just a chump and without the bat/cat coverup people are finding that out