Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Detective Comics #981 Preview / Discussion (Spoilers)

Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

I knew that vision that Ulysses was showing was wrong.

I've also heard from a friend who works at a comic store that this issue "will destroy you."
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

I've also heard from a friend who works at a comic store that this issue "will destroy you."
    Is that like happy destroy or fetch the tissues im sad destroy

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Is that like happy destroy or fetch the tissues im sad destroy
    She said that it's emotional but implied that it wasn't due to anything bad. One moment affected her even more than the Batgirls stuff last issue.

So maybe both.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I don´t like how this sounds. I am dissapointed because Steph is not in the cover.

I AM A BAT. Good words Cass.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I thought so too! And I have every hope this will be a great farewell from Tynion.

Also, the art by Barrows and Ferreira looks SO MUCH better than the last two issues of fill-in. The fill-in was some high quality fill in, but Barrows was the first rotation artist of the chosen art teams at launch for a reason, and even though I preferred Martinez and Fernandez in the rotation, Barrows it top quality talent. I am so thrilled to have them finishing out the run - and I'm going to be very emotional on Wednesday, and perhaps even pull out all of my single issues and go through as many of them as I can to grasp the whole run in my head.
    Last edited by millernumber1; 05-21-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Gotham Spoilers has some more encouraging words:

This is a good conclusion to Tynion's run on the book, which I think has been his best work at DC. Puts characters in places I'm excited to see, and some that lead to more questions. It's been fun.

Gotham Spoilers has some more encouraging words:
    I forget - do they get review copies, or just have a friend in a shop?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

In that interview, Tynion reiterates his love for
    Steph, tim, and cass.

He got his chance to write his dream, and man oh man, he came up with a really poor effort.

I’ll explain

The writing itself, was fine, interesting and dramatic. It kept me wanting to know what happens next.

My dissatisfaction lies in the direction he chose for these characters. And the subpar plotting, leaving the characters without a memorable moment. Without a triumph. He presented them at their worst, instead of giving us their best.

The art was fine for the most part.

I HATE everything he did with Kate, her dad , and the Colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    My dissatisfaction lies in the direction he chose for these characters. And the subpar plotting, leaving the characters without a memorable moment. Without a triumph. He presented them at their worst, instead of giving us their best.
    I hardly think any of them have been at their worst. Was Steph beaten and almost killed? Was Cass turned into a killer? Was Kate raped and otherwise abused by a vampire? Etc. No.

And what's this about no triumphs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I HATE everything he did with Kate, her dad , and the Colony.
    And I love it, so nyah.
    Last edited by Caivu; 05-21-2018 at 09:37 PM.

I hardly think any of them have been at their worst. Was Steph beaten and almost killed? Was Cass turned into a killer? Was Kate raped and otherwise abused by a vampire? Etc. No.

And what's this about no triumphs?

And I love it, so nyah.
    I love it too, but do you think Tynion will leave the Colony active, or shutter them at least for now? And if he does the latter, what does it mean for Kate and Jake?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I love it too, but do you think Tynion will leave the Colony active, or shutter them at least for now? And if he does the latter, what does it mean for Kate and Jake?
    It's too big of an organization to totally take down without Congressional action, I think. I don't see a way to do that. Maybe they just operate in the background for a while.

I'll always appreciate Tynion's intentions with this book, if not the execution. So hopefully he's able to end things on a good note here.

Extraordinary Member

The problem is that Tynion didn't build the characters up before breaking them down, with the exception of Clayface. There needed to be an arc before the Colony to really show the characters' relationships.

It was a nice issue. I don't think Tynion got the time he had planned to do his grand story, but it was wrapped up here. I'm hopeful for Tim at least.