Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Justice Leage of America

WHY does DC Reboot JLA every year? It really Sucks . For Old Timer's like me I'd like to see a return to the Old Days , W/ Clark , Diana , Bruce , Oliver , Hal , J'ohnn , and Barry and the Atom. Man, DC has really not have a even Good JLA in quiet a while. The Book is supposed to be about the best of the best ,not about Angst!! Now DC is making the League into too many books , I miss the good old days. "Justice " was the last great series
    !

Because, when DC does anything that resembles the classic JLA (or classic anything) it gets labeled as 'nostalgic', 'boring' or 'bland'.

I wouldn't mind seeing them say 'to hell with continuity', and have a Justice League title that can be bold and new, while simultaneously having a 'classic' JLA title that continues on the Satellite Era or combines it with the Justice League Unlimited approach.

I personally would pull a JJ Abrams, and diverge the JLA's history at the point where Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Supergirl were returning from the last JSA team-up prior to the formation of JLDetroit (removing everything after #232, including Crisis on Infinite Earths, from continuity).
    I'd then add in Batgirl, Supergirl, Vixen and John Stewart as the first new members in a variation of the Annual, with them just being added as additional members and rebuilding the Satellite.
    As the Justice League Unlimited cartoon showed, the Satellite Era JLA concept could continue to succeed with the right writer and artist.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The Snyder League isn't considered a reboot because it's not disregarding any continuity. This is just a relaunch like the Bendis Superman or the Aaron/McGuiness Avengers. It's the nature of the beast whenever a high profile creative team takes over and brings in a new story direction.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but in any event, this is the new normal for comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    WHY does DC Reboot JLA every year? It really Sucks . For Old Timer's like me I'd like to see a return to the Old Days , W/ Clark , Diana , Bruce , Oliver , Hal , J'ohnn , and Barry and the Atom. Man, DC has really not have a even Good JLA in quiet a while. The Book is supposed to be about the best of the best ,not about Angst!! Now DC is making the League into too many books , I miss the good old days. "Justice " was the last great series
    !
    Well early Justice League rarely used Superman or Batman, instead relying on the others. Per Wikipedia "The initial Justice League lineup included seven of DC Comics' superheroes who were regularly published at that time: Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman. Rarely featured in most of the stories, Superman and Batman did not even appear on the cover most of the time."
    Later the Justice League was led by Batman, and didn't even star Superman until after his death. I'm thinking you mean more along the lines of the JLA?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Invincible Member

I'd say the Justice League/JLA line ups have been been rather "traditional" for a while now with just a few "controversial" members.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The Atom really needs a slot on the JL.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The Atom really needs a slot on the JL.
    I'm a big fan of the back half of the Satellite League, and would love to see the Atom, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkwoman, Red Tornado, Elongated Man, Zatanna and Firestorm as a team. Without Superman (or Martian Manhunter, or Green Lantern), Firestorm and Red Tornado (and Zatanna) are the 'big guns' of the team. Without Batman, Green Arrow is the team moneybags, and Atom is the team scientist (with help from half of Firestorm), and Elongated Man is the team investigator (along with Sue), and Black Canary is the hand to hand expert / tactical leader, and Hawkwoman is the tech supplier (amazing that it four to five other people can split up all the hats that Batman usually wears...).

It's a well-rounded team, with roles to play for everyone. Not terribly diverse, but neither were the 'big seven,' and that's more or an artifact of the times in which they were generated (and could be addressed by rotating in characters like Black Lightning, Vixen or Katana, and / or making Hawkwoman more visibly 'Egyptian' in ethnicity).

Retired

In universe, the JSA put members on the reserve list when they had their own comic. The publisher figured they had enough exposure and didn’t need the JSA to promote them. But you could imagine that having your own 64 page quarterly meant you were having a lot of adventures and just didn’t have the time to go to meetings, also.

You could apply the same reasoning to Batman and Superman in the League. Other editors didn’t want Julius Schwartz to use them too much or put them on the covers—and the same lack of charity has been displayed by other Batman and Superman editors in other times. But you could argue with all the titles they have, Batman and Superman have a pretty full calendar and can’t squeeze in JLA duty.

While I agree with the OP, I hate all the reboots and reinvention of who were the suposed founders, I'd prefer an in-Universe history that acknowledging the original 7 founders.
    Although I'd hate a Justice League that stopped at those 7.
    That is not the JLA to me.
    Justice League to me was always an ever expanding roster, almost from the get go.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-21-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

While I agree with the OP, I hate all the reboots and reinvention of who were the suposed founders, I'd prefer an in-Universe history that acknowledging the original 7 founders.
    Although I'd hate a Justice League that stopped at those 7.
    That is not the JLA to me.
    Justice League to me was always an ever expanding roster, almost from the get go.
    I agree with that, but the best thing to do in my opinion to make both the people who only want to see the Big 7 and people who want to rotate the cast out is to always keep 4 or 5 of the Big 7 around and just switch out the other 2 to 3 members occasionally. I could go for that. It's a happy medium.

I don't care if someone wants only the "Big 7" or if someone wants all new characters, or a mix of both, that's all good, by all means rotate the cast, that's up to the writer as to who they will focus on, founders, newer members a mix...etc..
    That's what is great about an expanding roster, new writers can choose what group of characters they will focus on for their run, be it the founders, the newer members, a mix, or better add a new member of their own creation.
    That's how it should be.
    Just don't freakin tell me the founding members were Cyborg, Hawkwoman, Black Canary or Triumph or any other BS revisionist garbage.
    And I'm all for fluid continuity, if you want to suggest there was a parallel until now unheard of team, sure write it in, explain why they went unseen, just have it make a modicum of sense.
    And spin off teams are great! By all means as the roster grows, spin new groups off the JL into new teams.

But ACTUALLY CALL THEM SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ______ JUSTICE LEAGUE!

By all means use the JL to introduce and develop new charatcer, but if they become a new team, the reason for them diverging into their own team, or what makes them unique, should be reflected in their NEW name.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-21-2018 at 11:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    !
    The idea of 'Justice' having anything to do with America or American culture has become a misnomer, that's why. It's become a joke. You have American Exceptionalism to thank for that. Also, it's so bad that Americans are likely to consider "Justice League International" either Communist or Un-American.

Spectacular Member

Wow...so much hostility. Yes, the Satellite Era was great...but was changed because it stopped selling. JL Detroit didn't work to save the book a d was revamped to JL and later JLI. That sold well but then dropped slowly because people didl like the continuous BWA-HAHA vibe.
    I know people are passionate about the era of Justice League that they grew up with...but give the writers a chance. Grant Morrion, Joe Kelly, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns have all provided great stories. There is nothing to say that you have to buy what they are publishing. If you don't like how it looks, pass on it...buy backissues of your favorite era. Reminisce with the old issues but let the characters and stories evolve. I have loved how the boom evolves and changes. I likne Cyborg being a founder more than Martian Manhunter (who left in 1969s JLA 71 and didn't return until the mid 80s).
    I understand the need to vent...but they are just stories...characters owned by a company that wants to make money and attract new readership and try to maintain the old readers as well. There isn't a formula to do it...trial and error.
    Anyways, I just wanted to interject that because it seemed like everyone was starting to foam at the mouth over this.

Retired

I don’t know if the satellite League had bad sales in the end, but that was more than ten years. At the last Gerry Conway was the writer. They had got George Perez when Dick Dillin passed, but Perez left.

I think Conway changing up the League Stan Lee style, with the Detroit youngsters, was an attempt to go after the Titans market, instead of sticking to what the League did best. And because it was a poor imitation, readers saw it for what it was.

The League was reinvented by a completely different team, in keeping with all the new changes at DC after Crisis. But they were denied a lot of the leading characters and chose the humour direction which worked with whatever heroes they could get.

Those were great times, despite the turnover in artists. But other writers wanted to push the League back to what it used to be. And readers didn’t like that turn or the way the books were now written.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-21-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don’t know if the satellite League had bad sales in the end, but that was more than ten years. At the last Gerry Conway was the writer. They had got George Perez when Dick Dillin passed, but Perez left.

I think Conway changing up the League Stan Lee style, with the Detroit youngsters, was an attempt to go after the Titans market, instead of sticking to what the League did best. And because it was a poor imitation, readers saw it for what it was.
    I think the Detroit League was pretty much editorially mandated.
    Crisis was soon to happen, and the big name characters needed removing to get them ready.
    And DC had just struck gold with New Teen Titans, Outsiders, Legion and Infinity, Inc.
    So it's kinda logical that they would want the League to appeal to those readers.
    The best thing about Detroit League was that it gave Conway a way to bring in Vixen and Steel. They would've likely happened eventually, though.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.