Amazing Member

Default Good Meggan issues?

Can anyone suggest any comics that do a good job of showcasing Meggan's powers? I'm trying to get a good handle on what she can and can't do.

Thanks!

The only good Meggan that ever was, is when the name “Alan Davis” is on the cover of the book either as writer or artist.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    The only good Meggan that ever was, is when the name “Alan Davis” is on the cover of the book either as writer or artist.
    Ellis, IIRC, magnified her powerset. Didn't he write the scene where she talked a forest fire into quenching itself?

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    Well, there may be exceptions. I think Excalibur #19, by Claremont and Leonardi, is fabulous and it focuses in Meggan's powers. Look at her as Wolvie...!

...Longshot!

...or Rogue!

Theres a Captain Britain collection that compiles her British appearances by Alan Moore/Jamie Delano/Alan Davis and has a lot of early Meggan moments that focus on her supernatural nature and evolution into the modern "beautiful" version of the character
    https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Brita...in+britain+tpb
    https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Brita...in+britain+tpb

Claremont's Excalibur played up Meggan's empathic shapeshifter nature. Never more on display than the teams visit to NYC during Inferno. Meggan gets separated from the others and has an "interesting" experience with the diversity of the city.

The storyline from Excalibur (Vol 1) #44-46ish is a good exploration of Meggan's history with some displays of power and seeks to resolve her portrayal as an uncontrolled reflexive empath with identity issues.

It's complicated and it's contradictory and it's all sorts of weird, but in and around Excalibur #46 is most likely the most important place to 'get' a true sense for Maggan and her powers.

Excalibur #46
    Attachment 66216

There was some sort of limitation that made it so Meggan's more or less limitless 'Mother Earth' drawn protean powers required her to fuel up from her spiritual/ancestral/magical sourced roots in the British Isles. Throughout Excalibur Meggan's power is a problem for herself and her teammates. It seems as though her human empathy doesn't work on same level as her universal empathy. I don't know which is more powerful, if the two are separate and at odds, I don't know if she's ever been written strongly from her own point of view

SO, I love this image of her...IMO, if she mirrors her world in flesh and being...like a body of water...shaping from banks, moving to the source, from the source...well, I like this portrait of how that can be...and this image also speaks to why and how her roots in her 'home' are essentially reciprocal.

Earth born and borne Empathy...a truly beautiful mutation.

Attachment 66220
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

The Captain Britain and MI13 Annual was good too. Meggan leads an impossible revolution in Hell with nothing but her feelings. Take notes Magneto and Cyclops, this is what a capable mutant revolutionary looks like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    Ellis, IIRC, magnified her powerset. Didn't he write the scene where she talked a forest fire into quenching itself?
    Yes. He also wrote her redirecting magma, throwing her vision miles and having the Earth swallow a Black Air facility. Good stuff.

Claremont once had her grow to the size and strength of Galactus but the planet started dying under the strain.

Quote Originally Posted by NotABadger View Post
    Can anyone suggest any comics that do a good job of showcasing Meggan's powers? I'm trying to get a good handle on what she can and can't do.

Thanks!
    Good question. I never found any issues really displaying her powers more than facial/body morphing, although others have mentioned some feats.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Yes. He also wrote her redirecting magma, throwing her vision miles and having the Earth swallow a Black Air facility. Good stuff.

Claremont once had her grow to the size and strength of Galactus but the planet started dying under the strain.
    The aforementioned Lava redirection and other feats are well referenced (with Issue number notations!) in Meggan's biography over at UncannyXmen.Net
    https://uncannyxmen.net/characters/meggan

She did the "drawing upon the Earth" elemental power increase her physical power a bit under Claremont. Juggernaut...Galactus!

The real question is how is Meggan not an omega mutant? She almost destroyed the planet going up against Galactus!