Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Why does he love to leave threads that other writers won't ever touch. Just tie up everything and call it a day, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    This was a horrible read - the use of a constant narrator (AI Tony) to deliver tell us what is happening is textbook of what not to do - Show Don't Tell. It doesn't help either that the tone its delivered in, the 'snarky Tony' speak, grates on me in the way that only Bendis-speak can.

In Bendis' run, we get:

1. The pointless introduction of his birth mother, who we know nothing about but are supposed to feel fond of for her spunkyness! No nonsense attitude!. And then we receive exposition that she was a SHIELD agent, that she got with a Hydra agent but she killed him. But wait, now the birth dad is not dead but is alive. And he has plans! But, he has no characteristics besides being old, being supposedly evil, and for feeling betrayed.
    So in essence, Bendis has introduced two IMPORTANT characters, but have little organic development and seem to exist just to give Tony future storylines without moving the plot forward.

2. Due to Bendis (Civil War 2), Rhodey is dead at the hand of Thanos; Tony is in a coma from fighting Captain Marvel. However, as Bendis lays out, Tony was supposed to die, but is alive because of his prior experimentation with his DNA (even though this is a crazy random idea, there is the precedent in Extremis, yet Bendis does not reference that). Therefore, as it is explicitly laid out, Tony recovers and is alive again explicitly because of his prior experimentation. And somehow, he can use these ideas to resurrect Rhodey!!?? I would accept it if it was established that Rhodey already had some genetic manipulation, but to do the manipulation AFTER Rhodey is dead to PREVENT him from succumbing to life threatening injury!?? I can't accept that at all.

3. Introduction of Riri, and following Doctor Doom. I will give Bendis props in that - he made Riri an interesting well developed character, and had the plot flow organically from her first introduction onwards. Doctor Doom had an interesting air of mystery - while his dialogue and conversations never rung true to me, the story arc piqued my curiosity. The only reason I kept up with this current arc was because I was interested in Riri and Doctor Doom. I ended up being half satisfied - I've always liked Hickman's SHIELD and Da Vinci, so its amazing that Riri will be involved with that. As for the Doom side of things - nothing is resolved at all. No answers to his motivations or what he was up to. Its even unclear what exactly happens to him. Is his face scarred again now following his battle? And what is the purpose of that?

So in essence, only one of the characters I was interested in (Riri) had reasonable plot development, and conclusion while also setting up for the future. Every other character had plot motivated actions without providing any answers. Definitely a frustrating read.
    This articles had good points like you did. Wanted to see what you think about it. I agree with a bit of it's points.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/...ive-got-issues
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-24-2018 at 03:11 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I wonder if Doom’s face is scared again, and whether, because Tony is back, Doom will go villain again?

The “Future” Epilogue suggests Slott will somehow make Tony into Dr Strange.

The New Da Vinci SHIELD suggests Da Vinci is the next DoS.

I wonder which AI will be redundant now that Tony is back and in charge of his company again - Friday or AI Tony? And Riri had a short run as Iron Heart replacing Iron Man. She wasn’t that interesting anyway. She has no drama. Even when Blade knocked Riri around she took it as humorous rather than fighting back. Is this what we consider is character built? Riri is as blase’ as a university nerd unable to get off their mobile phone game app.

I’m a bit surprised Rhodey and Carol never had a reunion on the page. What, doesn’t Carol like Rhodey anymore?

I fully expected some connection between Da Vinci appearing forming a new SHIELD and Hickman finishing his SHIELD series. Why didn’t that happen?

That could have been the swan song of the HOOD in this finale, because it was Bendis that picked Hood out of obscurity and made Hood the vehicle for the Villains Truce a possibility. Now I wonder if anybody could resurrect that possibility again? I’m a bit curious what Hood and Doom were doing using Dark Force Matter?

I did appreciate Tony AI’s narration as a commentary on human nature, and felt it was a very true rendition of how humans are, and what an AI thinks of that. It rang true to me at least.

I do agree with others this Iron Man run by Bendis didn’t inspire me all that much, and I only stuck with it because of the Doom as Iron Man concept running its course, and Doom and Ben Grimms interplay being interesting. Everything else fell a bit flat.

I don’t know what the significance of introducing Tony’s real parents has on Tony’s story. Are we to believe Tony got some of his villainy in Civil War, and AXIS from his father? And Tony got his rock star personality from his mother?
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-23-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I wonder if it's still canon that Rhodey was in a cloned body when he died. I loved that Dark Reign War Machine book despite him being a cyborg. the character really got to cut loose.
    Yeah, you and me both. I loved that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    This articles had good points like you did. Wanted to see what you think about it.
    The article hits fairly well on the impact on Tony Stark, especially turning comic book Tony into movie Tony, and, losing momentum when Tony was killed in CWII.

To me, Bendis ostracised Tony Stark for Riri’s elevation, and was a trend for all “classics” being treated the same way during this stage that Marvel was going through. And for the life of me I can’t understand why sacrifice your Brand characters to promote new characters that don’t offer a similar impact. If Riri was as flamboyant as Tony Stark and actually overtook Tony, I could understand it. But Tony Stark was better. A lot better. Riri was this caged little tech dabbler. Where was her cassis belli? In fact where were any of the diversity characters cassis belli. Marvel really had to address replacements to the “classics” in this context. Anybody can just pluck characters out of the air, but it doesn’t make them iconic. When the “classics” fell on the scene they were harassed to the edge of their lives and had to sculpt their legend out of volcanic rock. Tony Stark was one of them. You don’t throw him on a scrap heap on a whim.

Amazing Member

I'm a bit confused. I thought the "unknown dark force matter" and the way that Hood was talking to Doom was setting up to reveal some powerful villian that was trying to take over Tony. But it looked like in the final scene of the battle the demon was taking over Doom and then later in the book they would reveal who this character was.
    It sounded like it was some known high level being like Mephisto or the Void. Like it was building to a huge surprise - unknown matter, not Parker Robbins, someone very smart and powerful.....But then, nothing, and I realized the being said Doom was cheating with that spell. So maybe he couldn't take over Doom? But the art made it look like the demon was successful and was transferring itself into Doom. Geez, which is it??

But only a slight bit of information was given about what happened at the end of the battle and what happened to Doom? Why was he in tears?
    That Dr Strange/Dr Stark ending was from Uncanny X-Men when timeirl got stuck in the future, but it seemed weird that that was used as the ending? I forgot if the actual X-Men book has Tony or Strange as the Sorcerer Supreme, either way, it has no relation to this entire story arc. They could have focused more on Doom.
    Too ambiguous combined with too much damn information?!?

Was this just Bendis being weird since it was his final issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I wonder if it's still canon that Rhodey was in a cloned body when he died. I loved that Dark Reign War Machine book despite him being a cyborg. the character really got to cut loose.
    That was a really great book. Also this is the second time Tony brought Rhodey back from the dead.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I wonder if Doom’s face is scared again, and whether, because Tony is back, Doom will go villain again?

The “Future” Epilogue suggests Slott will somehow make Tony into Dr Strange.

I wonder which AI will be redundant now that Tony is back and in charge of his company again - Friday or AI Tony? And Riri had a short run as Iron Heart replacing Iron Man. She wasn’t that interesting anyway. She has no drama. Even when Blade knocked Riri around she took it as humorous rather than fighting back. Is this what we consider is character built? Riri is as blase’ as a university nerd unable to get off their mobile phone game app.

I’m a bit surprised Rhodey and Carol never had a reunion on the page. What, doesn’t Carol like Rhodey anymore?

I fully expected some connection between Da Vinci appearing forming a new SHIELD and Hickman finishing his SHIELD series. Why didn’t that happen?
    Marvel Two-In-One needs to be before Iron Man #600 because Victor isn't scarred there. We already know he'll be classic Doctor Doom again in Fantastic Four.

That epilogue suggests nothing of the sort, considering it's a reprint from Uncanny X-Men.

Champions has yet to show Riri's AI, but now that real Tony is back, I wouldn't expect her to keep that one. Perhaps Champions #22 will explain it. Her new armor is pink instead of red... and Friday happens to be pink too. Tony has a new AI called Mainframe, so I'm hoping Riri gets Friday.

Carol just doesn't know Jim was resurrected yet.

As for a connection to Hickman's SHIELD, wouldn't that be spoilers? SHIELD #6 isn't out yet.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    This articles had good points like you did. Wanted to see what you think about it. I agree with a bit of it's points.
    The only thing tragic about Riri's origin story is that Bendis penned it. But Marvel didn't think this through. You're bigging Tony up as your mascot character but you let him get killed off and replaced but then you half-assed bringing him back cuz another event needed him. That's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The only thing tragic about Riri's origin story is that Bendis penned it. But Marvel didn't think this through. You're bigging Tony up as your mascot character but you let him get killed off and replaced but then you half-assed bringing him back cuz another event needed him. That's sad.
    Could not agree more with your take on what they did to Tony. I always bring it up. If that's how they want to show off their biggest MCU character then please leave Tony alone lol.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm reading through the thread cause it will be some time before I read this material (trade waiter) and I see this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    It's the worst run of Iron Man to date, even including the Teen Tony era.
    Damn, that's bold and telling.

Also, wait, The Hood slapped Doom around? The Hood? The street level criminal with a magic cloak....Hood? That doesn't sound in character for Doom at all.
    So much wrong in this issue it sounds like.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm reading through the thread cause it will be some time before I read this material (trade waiter) and I see this.

Damn, that's bold and telling.

Also, wait, The Hood slapped Doom around? The Hood? The street level criminal with a magic cloak....Hood? That doesn't sound in character for Doom at all.
    So much wrong in this issue it sounds like.
    was really Mephisto who hit Doom

through the hand of Hood

so is Rhodey really alive? Not a joke? not a LMD? real resurrection? how long was he, uh, deceased? full healing? no degeneration? No loss of memory?

what happened to his spirit while he was gone? did he "go anywhere"? Come on. No exploration of that?

Oh well...

And future Tony is a tech-based sorcerer supreme? Curious. not pleased with Kurt being reduced to a servant, but a rant for another day.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bubibartra View Post
    was really Mephisto who hit Doom

through the hand of Hood
    Serious or Sarcasm?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Serious or Sarcasm?
    Unconfirmed, iirc. But I got my spoilers from the dark web. Parker, in his demon form, palmed Doom's face. But the art did not fully convey the damage.