Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

it was a so so run. bendis tried to infuse a gritty realism into his run by introducing certain elements but he came woefully short of achieving it. the retcon to his parentage was one of the most unnecessary retcon right beside SW QS being retained to genetic experiments or Steve instead of mutants and children of magneto.

Mighty Member

Well, this kind of sucked.

I legitimately had hopes for Bendis' run with Iron Man. Admittedly, they faded quickly enough. But, at the very least, I figured we could enjoy a few years of Bendis writing a Downey-esque Tony. (If nothing else, Bendis is readable, if not terribly substantive.) But... Bendis never even touched on the "inspired by the end of 'Iron Man 3'" promise that he made about his run.

Was my first Iron Man run and my third comic book. I'll give Bendis a break because he was sick and left for DC. And thanks to his Ultimate Spider Man I'm a comic fan now. But wow...
    And, that may very well explain the why of this run. But, it does not change the what, which is that this run was a forgettable waste of 2 years.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

i'm... glad this is over. i really dug the two volumes he did with alex maleev, international was well done and the dr. doom run was fun. but ever since the two books merged back into one w/ marvel legacy it's felt like a long, slow death march till 600. aside from the simplest answer -- maximum decompression -- i'm really not sure why bendis couldn't have wrapped up the return of tony stark thing by #595, and then we could have gotten a whole other story from #596-600.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    it was a so so run. bendis tried to infuse a gritty realism into his run by introducing certain elements but he came woefully short of achieving it. the retcon to his parentage was one of the most unnecessary retcon right beside SW QS being retained to genetic experiments or Steve instead of mutants and children of magneto.
    Yeah the whole adoption angle added nothing to Tony's story. Absolutely nothing.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Well the adoption thing was from the pre-Secret Wars status quo. Sucks that version of the plot was dropped; I'm pretty sure the setup was that Arno was gonna be an evil Iron Man.

Mighty Member

The adoption angle was meant as lead-in for Bendis, who wanted to write an adoption story.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

being that it's so important to him, I wonder why Bendis didn't have Jessica Jones adopt a child? I guess it would have been harder to win over Luke Cage; going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The adoption angle was meant as lead-in for Bendis, who wanted to write an adoption story.
    I read some were that Bendis and Marvel told Kieron Gillen to write the adoption angle first so Bendis could take it from there.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Can someone explain to me what the point was in having the time jumping mutant show up at the end there? Seriously do not get why that was even done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Can someone explain to me what the point was in having the time jumping mutant show up at the end there? Seriously do not get why that was even done.
    Because in two issues(an issue of Infamous Iron Man and Generations: Iron Man and Ironheart) we saw a future with Sorcerer Supreme Tony Stark...so Bendis had them directly reprint 2 exact pages from a 4 year old X-men comic where he had the same idea, because remember when he had that idea 4 years ago? Yeah, I wish I was kidding but uh, that's it...

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    that's like asking why Dark Avengers # 13 opened with a scene from biblical times. or why they decided to have Sabretooth be one of the original Avenger until they created an even older group of Avengers.

iMan 42s

That thing about Bendis basing this off the end of Iron man 3.., just no.
    Iron man 3 is about Tony coming to terms with his life as a superhero. It's a personal story for Tony about how he spent too much time trying to be Iron man because his entire world was shattered when he met super spies, aliens, gods, mutations, and almost died while diverting a nuclear bomb. He had a rough go of it and isn't handling it well and it consumes him. That's why he's facing villains who don't need armor, they are the weapon. Killian was consumed by his desires as was Tony except Tony learns to let it go and give himself a clean slate. Tony realized he's just as much a hero without the suit.

What does any of that have to do with Bendis's run? Tony is not only long established here, this technology isn't new to him and the lesson has been learned. If anybody should be learning something its Doctor Doom, but why would that happen in an Iron man book and not Infamous Iron man?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

This Iron Man run was victim of the same thing of Bendis' X-men run: at one point, he lost interest and clearly had no idea how to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Well, this kind of sucked.

I legitimately had hopes for Bendis' run with Iron Man. Admittedly, they faded quickly enough. But, at the very least, I figured we could enjoy a few years of Bendis writing a Downey-esque Tony. (If nothing else, Bendis is readable, if not terribly substantive.) But... Bendis never even touched on the "inspired by the end of 'Iron Man 3'" promise that he made about his run.

And, that may very well explain the why of this run. But, it does not change the what, which is that this run was a forgettable waste of 2 years.
    I see people talking about Bendis using the end of Iron Man 3 to work from. Can someone enlighten me with this take?

Mighty Member

During an interview (mid-2015, when the series was launching), Bendis said that his run on "Iron Man" was inspired by the end of the third film. It was printed as "Secret Wars" was starting, if that helps.

I like Bendis' writing in a technical sense. (Were I running a campaign, I would hire him as a speech-writer in a second.) But, he is not an idea man. And, his follow-through is terrible. Bendis should be told what to say, and then make decisions about how to say it. But, he is allowed to call shots that he never should be calling.

What does any of that have to do with Bendis's run?
    I dunno. Ask Bendis.