Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,022

    Default How would you design a DC-themed Theme Park?

    Plenty of amusement parks have DC-themed rides, but what if a theme park focused solely on DC were created to give fans a live experience that makes them feel like they jumped into the comics?

    I've had some ideas for a while, but I feel like we could all do better together.

    A Flash museum is a must. It's an in-universe attraction brought to life that sells itself by merely existing. Statues, prop replicas, paintings, the cosmic treadmill, etc. would make for great picture opportunities, and brief tours could bring the mythology to life. A staged event using trap door tricks and visual illusions could make a convincing Flash rescue from an attack by the rogues (smashing through a mirror, shooting some flames, frost, lightning sparks), but it would be tricky.

    A trip to Oa and hands-on ring training with hologram effects would be kickass and great for the kids. Get a synthetically made-up Kilowog to train the poozers. Any ideas for how to do this convincingly?

    An Aquaman sea show is an obvious choice, though with some obvious ethical concerns. But snorkling to Atlantis and learning about marine life would be attractive. So would an underwater roller coaster.

    A Mars Planetarium theater would be awesome. An immersive film combining the science of Mars with the fiction of Martian civilization, narrated by J'onn, could really wow audiences. J'onn narrating a kind of meditation at the end alongside the sensations that a planetarium theater provides could be interesting as well. Red sand everywhere.

    Paradise Island could be a lounging beach section of the park, but could also host gladiatorial games the way Medieval Times does, showing Diana's comic book origin at the end.

    Metropolis and even more so Gotham should be the most robust "cities". If a Metropolis tour can simulate a Superman-level threat, even better, maybe with Kara saving the day. Centennial park's statue is iconic. Gotham should have an episode of BTAS play out right before the characters eyes, with a guide to sneak them through. Maybe some grappling hook shenanigans. A real noir mystery feel about the place. And of course, Wayne Manor and the Batcave.

    The already existing Superman ride is a novel concept. I'd love it to incorporate a live-action Superman character somehow flying at the head of the ride, maybe even swiveling alongside riders and waving as he "flies" with them.

    I have a more elaborate idea for Superman's mythology though. The Fortress of solitude is its own attraction, but the Bottled City of Kandor display should have its own "simulation", where Brainiac suddenly attacks and the environment changes, red sun flashing and Kandor appearing around the audience, signifying that everyone has shrunken. "Kryptonian" actors welcome members, and the Atom helps save the day by shrinking down with everyone. Walls with screens and buildings capable of popping out of the ground would facilitate this.

    A Green Arrow archery range in the woods is too easy. Black Canary should have an easy time recruiting.

    Pepper the rest of the park with in-Universe nods. Big Belly Burger should be the cafeteria. Lexcorp, Queen, and Kord industry trademarks should be visible. Snapper Car should interview park goers. Lex should walk around with an entourage and give anti-alien speeches at different locations. The Joker and Harley should ride around on a motor bike spraying people and popping off toy guns. The Iceberg lounge can serve alcoholic drinks.

    Haley's circus maybe? A Hawkworld flying attraction? The Legion of Doom? The Hall of Justice? A Satellite Replica? Science education at Star Labs? The possibilities are endless.

    It's unlikely that Warner Bros would ever make such an investment; this is more of a fanboy's dream. That said, theme parks are in fact very popular and I think a lot of people would find this enjoyable, hardcore fans or not.

    So what do you guys think? Do you like the idea, and what would you add/change to it?

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,785

    Default

    Love your idea. What about the Hall of Justice? Also the Batcave would be the first thing I would implement.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    Museums and Souvenirs
    Flash Museum
    Hall of Justice
    Batcave
    Titans Tower

    Restaurants
    Bat Burger
    Catwoman Cat Cafe
    Iceberg Lounge

    Haunted House
    Arkham Asylum
    The Court of Owls Labyrinth
    Joker's Funhouse
    House of Mystery

    Zoo
    Atlantis Sea World
    Damian's Baby Zoo

    Rides
    Superman's cradle ship for a children's ride... or a babysitting one that you insert a coin and rocks on their own
    Superhero Carts with Batmobile, Jokermobile, The Catillac, Penguin's Ducky, and so on
    The Cosmic Treadmill... you run on it and the room around you show you travel back in time or forward to the future
    Bat-Glider outdoor activity
    Jonah Hex Shooting Gallery
    Apokolips Invaders... kinda like an arcade/VR shooter game
    Joker Balloon ride... fly over the park
    Orion's space moped or whatever it was... for rent

    Park Activities
    Collect All The Riddler's Trophies
    Capture Blackgate/Iron Heights Inmates
    Amazon Training

    Shows
    Haly's Circus
    Penguin's Triangle Circus, the penguin show set from Batman Returns
    Jonah Hex Wild West Show

    Shops
    Green Lantern Rings
    Mad Hatter Hats

    Park Aesthetics
    The Source Wall
    Poison Ivy's Botanical Garden
    Curry Lighthouse
    Crime Alley
    Metron's chair

    Movies
    Monarch Theater

    Lodgings
    Lexcorp Apartments
    Wayne Manor
    Fortress of Solitude

    Information and Security
    Wayne Enterprises main office
    GCPD security office
    Daily Planet announcement

    Others
    Lazarus Pit rejuvenating spa
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-24-2018 at 05:34 AM.

  4. #4
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Well the first comment above did what I would have done so i really have nothing to suggest.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-24-2018 at 03:08 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chamblee, GA
    Posts
    984

    Default

    A "tomorrow land" for the Legion. Centerpiece would a clubhouse that houses restaurants and shops such as Mordru's magic shop. Rides would include a simulated Flight Ring experience, chasing the Time Trapper through time in Brainy's bubble, a Fatal Five encounter that includes a humongous Validus.

  6. #6
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    The Crisis Merry-Go-Round. It goes round and round and does not stop no matter how much you want it to.

    To be serious, A Hall of Justice would be great. It could go through the history of the League. There could also be the second part of it that can be accessed by a lift that looks like a teleporter and it goes to a second part of the attraction that looks like the Watchtower.
    Last edited by Deku; 05-24-2018 at 05:19 AM.
    PLUS ULTRA!

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Museums and Souvenirs
    Flash Museum
    Hall of Justice
    Batcave
    Titans Tower

    Restaurants
    Bat Burger
    Catwoman Cat Cafe
    Iceberg Lounge

    Haunted House
    Arkham Asylum
    The Court of Owls Labyrinth
    Joker's Funhouse
    House of Mystery

    Zoo
    Atlantis Sea World
    Damian's Baby Zoo

    Rides
    Superman's cradle ship for a children's ride... or a babysitting one that you insert a coin and rocks on their own
    Superhero Carts with Batmobile, Jokermobile, The Catillac, Penguin's Ducky, and so on
    The Cosmic Treadmill... you run on it and the room around you show you travel back in time or forward to the future
    Bat-Glider outdoor activity
    Jonah Hex Shooting Gallery
    Apokolips Invaders... kinda like an arcade/VR shooter game
    Joker Balloon ride... fly over the park
    Orion's space moped or whatever it was... for rent

    Park Activities
    Collect All The Riddler's Trophies
    Capture Blackgate/Iron Heights Inmates
    Amazon Training

    Shows
    Haly's Circus
    Penguin's Triangle Circus, the penguin show set from Batman Returns
    Jonah Hex Wild West Show

    Shops
    Green Lantern Rings
    Mad Hatter Hats

    Park Aesthetics
    The Source Wall
    Poison Ivy's Botanical Garden
    Curry Lighthouse
    Crime Alley
    Metron's chair

    Movies
    Monarch Theater

    Lodgings
    Lexcorp Apartments
    Wayne Manor
    Fortress of Solitude

    Information and Security
    Wayne Enterprises main office
    GCPD security office
    Daily Planet announcement

    Others
    Lazarus Pit rejuvenating spa
    Don't forget Big Belly Burger!

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,022

    Default

    Restingvoice has excellent ideas. I was missing a lot of rides and this fixed that. I particularly love the cradle ship, Apokalips VR game, and shooting gallery. Amazon training would also be great.

    How could I not think of a haunted house?? Arkham and the Funhouse are so obvious. Amazing.

    Didn't even think of lodgings, brilliant.

    Also totally forgot about Titan's Tower. I could see that being lodging as well. Multiple floors each designed like the TT living quarters. You can stay in Beast Boy's Room, or Starfire's, Cyborg's, etc. The lighthouse and Botanical garden would be great additions.

    The GCPD badges as security would be awesome.

    Ridder trophies are excellent. A reward should be had for someone who can find them all.

    In general I would personally keep up the illusion that these places are all the real thing, so I'd avoid marketing other restaurants with characters-but that's just me. Totally normal thing for theme parks.

    To make it feel a little more real, I might have Paul Giambi advertise costumes, and then in his gift shop (full of memorabilia), have him drop a line about a secret entrance to the Rogues hideout. When you get there you get to play cards with the Rogues, and watch a fight break out between Cold and Heat Wave.

    A cave with the 7 sins of the world would be cool. The guide should ask all the children if they have parents with them, and have a curious 10-12 year old unaccompanied by their parents. The guide asks his name. "Billy. Billy Batson." A voice asks Billy to step forward, says he's pure of heart or whatever, and a flash of lightning & smoke turns him into Shazam.

    Man this could be amazing if even a tenth of the stuff were realized. Who wouldn't want to check out the Batcave or Fortress of Solitude ffs?

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    ARKHAM ASYLUM : Nighttime attraction for adults, immersive role-play similar to "Sleep No More" where you just wander around the hallways, cells etc. and crazy shit happens.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-24-2018 at 01:27 PM.

  10. #10
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Restingvoice has excellent ideas. I was missing a lot of rides and this fixed that. I particularly love the cradle ship, Apokalips VR game, and shooting gallery. Amazon training would also be great.

    How could I not think of a haunted house?? Arkham and the Funhouse are so obvious. Amazing.

    Didn't even think of lodgings, brilliant.

    Also totally forgot about Titan's Tower. I could see that being lodging as well. Multiple floors each designed like the TT living quarters. You can stay in Beast Boy's Room, or Starfire's, Cyborg's, etc. The lighthouse and Botanical garden would be great additions.

    The GCPD badges as security would be awesome.

    Ridder trophies are excellent. A reward should be had for someone who can find them all.

    In general I would personally keep up the illusion that these places are all the real thing, so I'd avoid marketing other restaurants with characters-but that's just me. Totally normal thing for theme parks.

    To make it feel a little more real, I might have Paul Giambi advertise costumes, and then in his gift shop (full of memorabilia), have him drop a line about a secret entrance to the Rogues hideout. When you get there you get to play cards with the Rogues, and watch a fight break out between Cold and Heat Wave.

    A cave with the 7 sins of the world would be cool. The guide should ask all the children if they have parents with them, and have a curious 10-12 year old unaccompanied by their parents. The guide asks his name. "Billy. Billy Batson." A voice asks Billy to step forward, says he's pure of heart or whatever, and a flash of lightning & smoke turns him into Shazam.

    Man this could be amazing if even a tenth of the stuff were realized. Who wouldn't want to check out the Batcave or Fortress of Solitude ffs?
    So immersion right?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    A trip to Oa and hands-on ring training with hologram effects would be kickass and great for the kids. Get a synthetically made-up Kilowog to train the poozers. Any ideas for how to do this convincingly?
    This seems to me like a VR experience - you train with Kilowog just pointing and shooting with the "ring" first, then you get thrown into a story built similarly to "Dragon's Lair" where the stuff is essentially planned out where you have the chance to activate your ring to take out an opponent (it will be pre-programmed to use constructs to fit the scenario) or move (fly, creates a plane construct, etc.)

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    So immersion right?
    Perfect word.

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This seems to me like a VR experience - you train with Kilowog just pointing and shooting with the "ring" first, then you get thrown into a story built similarly to "Dragon's Lair" where the stuff is essentially planned out where you have the chance to activate your ring to take out an opponent (it will be pre-programmed to use constructs to fit the scenario) or move (fly, creates a plane construct, etc.)
    Yeah that sounds cool. It would probably be better without headsets if possible. The constructs would be awesome though.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    Ah. So you're thinking more like Harry Potter Wizarding World. I was thinking more like Disneyland. I got loads of ideas just came out because I recently made a travel plan by browsing Disneyland site, so I just applied what I remember ^^

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,906

    Default

    ATOM Escape Room: A gigantic escape room/jungle gym where a couple dozen people can play at a time where everything is over-sized like you're the size of a tiny Atom and you have to climb around to find clues. (many of them requiring science to solve)

    Iceberg Lounge is a great idea, but on the other side of the park you can also have WARRIOR'S - Guy's old place.

    Oh, and cellphone charging stations that look like GL batteries. The Central Power Battery would be one of those "free-falling over a giant fan in a squirrel suit" rides - whatever that's called.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Ah. So you're thinking more like Harry Potter Wizarding World. I was thinking more like Disneyland. I got loads of ideas just came out because I recently made a travel plan by browsing Disneyland site, so I just applied what I remember ^^
    Yeah I suppose that HP example did pop into my head. But Disneyland isn’t far off: Disneyworld showed me that you can have massively different themes and functional locations inside of one large but sectioned space. The illusion of a real place is easily mintained with the right aesthetic. And I think for this particular theme, thrills alongside simulated world-building is essential to please all stripes and ages.

    j9ac9k, the oversized room bit is genius! And power battery chargers would fit right in.

    With the central power battery, you mean simulated freefall or whatever? (Took me a few reads to get what you were saying, and I admit Ch’p popped into my head.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •