Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men Runs: Kelly/Seagle Era

Hey fellow X-Fans, how is everyone? As a fellow X-Men fan, I started out with the cartoon in 1992, and then I didn't start reading the books until 1996 during the Onslaught era, but stopped in late 1997, where I outgrew them. In 2017, I collected various X-Men books that intrigued me, but I won't go into a long winded story. I read all of the issues during Joe Kelly and Steven Seagle's time on the X-Men titles.

Now I know this is the most under the radar run, but I found it to be... Very good in some areas. I liked Seagle's dark feel for the Uncanny book, but I enjoyed Kelly's humorous take on it. While there are funny bits, I saw that there was some inner turmoil from some of the characters like Maggott, Cecilia, and Marrow, yet they found the strength to rise above when it counted the most. Even Storm and Wolverine being the leaders of this rag-tag group was awesome.

Seagle's run was fun, where he explored different character's mindsets in one of those psychological ways, and see what makes them tick. However, I feel his take on some characters were totally OOC. Kelly's run, while humorous, feels strong in the story and character structure. However, both of them added subplots that didn't go anywhere or just forgotten, didn't flesh out the new characters, and cancel their original plans before editorial stepped in and interfered. If anything, I feel their first ten issues were very strong, and because of their run I feel inspired to implement their unique feel and apply it to my own style.

Yet I was wondering how everyone else felt about their runs, and opinions on what you like, disliked, favorite issues, etc. from this era. ^_^

BANNED

Probably the most underrated "main" X-Men run.

No argument there. To be honest, while Seagle was good, I was leaning towards Kelly's take on the X-Men. He really did do a good job moving Cannonball forward, going from rookie to veteran, and how he defended Marrow. If anything, I was hoping the two would've hooked up, because Sam obviously seemed to care about her.

This is the run that got me into the X-men and it was sad to see them cut it short bc of the Exaliubr refugees. I hated what editorial did

Definitely a hidden treasure mini-era of the Xbooks after Claremont's departure and lots of floundering X-over-itis. I would put Kelly's work as the stronger of the 2 with strong character voices and humorous touches. The oddball team (Marrow? Maggot? Dr Reyes?) and the classic members had chemistry that popped on the page.

Seagle's work was more of a slow burn. And unfortunately, I'm not sure we ever got to see a lot of the payoffs to his work. He had some meaningful progress with his work on the Jean Grey/Phoenix issue.

BANNED

I really enjoyed this era. It's when I started subscribing/reading on a regular timeline instead of just random back issues.

Ugh, I hated how they added in Colossus, Kitty, and Nightcrawler. >< I love those three, but I would've loved to see the new characters grow and see where the veterans went in terms of direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This is the run that got me into the X-men and it was sad to see them cut it short bc of the Exaliubr refugees. I hated what editorial did
    Ugh, I hated how they added in Colossus, Kitty, and Nightcrawler. >< I love those three, but I would've loved to see the new characters grow and see where the veterans went in terms of direction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supermanfan1986 View Post
    I didn't like that either because it threw it in a different direction, but some of the stories were good.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I didn't like that either because it threw it in a different direction, but some of the stories were good.
    I agree, I wanted to see where they would take Jean's powers or those sub plots involving Dark Beast and Sebastian Shaw.

BANNED

I agree, I wanted to see where they would take Jean's powers or those sub plots involving Dark Beast and Sebastian Shaw.
    I think the first issue I got in the mail was the one with Cannonball "Must an Xman die to cure the legacy virus" it was a really good issue and it made sense that the Hellfire Club would be involved in something that could potentially be lucrative for a cure for mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I think the first issue I got in the mail was the one with Cannonball "Must an Xman die to cure the legacy virus" it was a really good issue and it made sense that the Hellfire Club would be involved in something that could potentially be lucrative for a cure for mutants.
    I remember that issue. Gotta say, Cannonball was my favorite X-Man back in that era. Loved how he stood up to Gladiator, but then that was it. At least Kelly did something with him and gave him a backbone.

I remember that issue. Gotta say, Cannonball was my favorite X-Man back in that era. Loved how he stood up to Gladiator, but then that was it. At least Kelly did something with him and gave him a backbone.

Cannonball's time in the X-Men in that era was a bit of a regression for him since he'd spent significant time forging his own path leading his generation of Mutants in X-Force. Having been tutored under the Big 3 of - Xavier, Magneto and Cable - he was set to be a player in his own right. So, as well written as X-Newbie member Sam was under Kelly, it never quite felt right.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I really loved this run as well... but these are the guys that tried to kill Gambit off, right?

Yeah, @$#$ those guys lol. But seriously, other than that black eye, it was a really good run with a lot of great concepts and consistent artwork.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I loved the new additions, especially Cecelia and the Psi-War is so underrated.